1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

19.7%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

9.1%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.3%
  4. Donovan Clingan

8.7%
  5. Zach Edey

2.7%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.4%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.7%
  8. Reed Sheppard

41.2%
  9. Nikola Topić

9.3%
  10. Dalton Knecht

0.9%
  1. Arnel

Arnel Member

Yea same here. I’m ok with any of these other guys mentioned. Just don’t want Clingan.

clutchdabear and Bobbythegreat like this.
  2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I could be super wrong but I agree. Watching him get eaten up by Edey was something

clutchdabear and conquistador#11 like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Already over 7'sth....There is a video of 16 or 17 year old Wemby playing vs Gobert.

Not every brother is Thanasis to Giannis but there is always a better and more special brother, you can guess who that is.

#763 daywalker02, May 13, 2024
    Last edited: May 13, 2024
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, let's just end this here.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

#765 J.R., May 13, 2024
  6. Rokman

Rokman Member

Trade Green to Washington. They need a starting guard.

Corrosion and DaDakota like this.
  7. VickMackey

VickMackey Member

8. ozrocketsfan

ozrocketsfan Member

I'm on the Sheppard train at this point.

Has enough playmaking + we need shooting desperately.

Main knock is his height/span, but he makes up for that with athletic, smarts, shiftiness & quick hands.

My main concern would be limiting ability to switch on defence and is he tall enough for shooting guard, but every draft prospect has risks/holes this year.

Risacher is interesting prospect if available as well, i need to research him more

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why do those Curry shooters always look like 13 year old kids....

@Jontro would be proud.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

We have 4 "big wing" prospects on this team that we are already committed to. All of them are superior prospects to anyone in this draft and would be prioritized over them over the next few years.

If we took Risacher, or Cody, or Buzelis there is almost no path to them being successful here, even if they are guys that would be successful in many other situations. They would have no path to minutes in year 1, 2, or 3.

Honestly if I were a big wing prospect I would absolutely not want to be drafted by Houston right now... who wants to be a lottery pick rookie that's 5th in the pecking order for my role on the team I'm drafted by, behind 4 guys on long-term contracts who are young and better than me?

Rashmon, BigMaloe, Shark44 and 5 others like this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Position less bball is a thing. Whoever we get will have to fight core 6 for PT anyway, doesn't matter if it's RS or CW or Risacher etc.

Amen can and will get mins at PG so even if we get RS he will still need to beat people for PT. Risacher and CW can get mins at 1-4 depending on matchup and who is on the floor alongside them, but RS can really only play 2 spots. More opportunity for PT for Risacher and CW.

RS can only replace FVV and JG if they are playing bad, but CW and Risacher can replace FVV, JG, Brooks and Jabari depending on matchup and who they have alongside. Like JG can be the defacto PG and he is playing alongside Risacher and Brooks in the back court. That can happen right?

Oth if we have say Brooks playing bad can't really plug in RS at that spot without taking out FVV or JG cuz then we'd be too short.

I dunno about Buzelis but Risacher and CW can get PT being big wings who can shoot. We kinda need shooting. And yes RS is rated to be the best shooter among the 3 of them, but CW and Risacher also do other things while being good shooters themselves, specifically on defense.

#772 roslolian, May 13, 2024
    jcmoon likes this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If Reed has a 42" vertical than he might be our answer to the future PG.....

DD

Arnel likes this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Amen is our future PG.

15. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Them jump passes gonna be insane from a 6'2 , 42 inch vertical PG.. lol ( never stop GMing CFs)

16. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Reed Sheppard is the BPA and best fit for us in this draft. Don't overthink it. We need shooting more than anything. We do not need another high ceiling low floor player that can not shoot. If you view Sengun and Amen as your best prospects on this team you should pick Reed. Amen and Sengun both need a secondary ball handler and someone who can shoot to space the floor. We need a blue chip player, not another project. I'm already preparing myself to be Orlando'd again and lose out on Sheppard.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Except Risacher can actually shoot and did it in Euroleague. Secondary ball handler I guess JG and FVV don't exist lol.

Risacher can provide that 3 pt spacing we need but also be a dominant defensive force which will enhance Rox strengths. If you look at Minny, they have multiple good defenders with size in the perimeter and that's how they dominate most of their opponents.

jcmoon likes this.
  18. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

You expect FVV to be a part of the future? He's most likely gone after next year. I would rather have Jalen be a play finisher than a secondary ball handler. Risacher shot what ... 35% from 3? I rather get a guy who is shooting 50%+ .

joshuaao, clutchdabear and Easy like this.
  19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Risacher shot 40% from 3. That average is over 3 seasons too, from 17-19 yr old.
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/international/players/zaccharie-risacher-1.html

If Jalen and RS is the backcourt you don't have an advantage in size anymore, just like what we have with current lineup. I'd rather Amen and JG the backcourt, then Risacher providing shooting from 3.

20. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

To be a competent NBA offensive team you need at least 96 minutes per game of players who have average or better NBA skill on the ball. Right now we have 2 players on the roster who qualify. One of those (FVV) will likely be gone after this year. Amen will *maybe* get to that level. We have a big hole in this area going forward.

If we draft (or sign / trade ) a competent 1 or 2 they have the opportunity to go straight into our rotation, because of that need. A big wing would go straight to the G league with no hope of entering the rotation without displacing one of the core 6.

Risacher and Cam Whitmore will get minutes at the 1? What on earth are you talking about? No use continuing a discussion.

clutchdabear likes this.