1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

19.7%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

9.1%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.3%
  4. Donovan Clingan

8.7%
  5. Zach Edey

2.7%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.4%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.7%
  8. Reed Sheppard

41.2%
  9. Nikola Topić

9.3%
  10. Dalton Knecht

0.9%
  1. roslolian

roslolian Member

How am I trolling? Lol you make zero sense.

I said it also last draft season out of the top 4 I hate Scoot the most because he is short. People also said I was dumb not to take the "generational talent" over BM and Amen. Look what happened.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

BBS would crash on draft night if they took two of those three :D

mikol13 and Mathloom like this.
  3. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Our best player is Thompson. Clingen is more athletic than you think.

Comparing Reed to a once in a generational player is a far reach. There has never been another player of Steph's elk. A player of that height, who can shoot at that level. And you think a player who's team lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament and who had one of his worst games when it counted, is worthy of a Top 3 pick?

Thr thing about Steph is that he showed up when it counted at Davidson. Kentucky started off poorly, had a good stretch and feel off again. If Reed was that type of player, surely he would have effected winning in a better capcity than that.

4. BreakYoSelfFool

And still growing!!! How tall was Wemby at 16?

5. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

How are we able to take two of them?

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

I mean if they took Clingan OR Castle with the 3rd pick, the BBS would crash

the11mingdynasty likes this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No, they aren’t better defenders. Not even close actually.
    Sheppard has a better DRB% TRB% Ass% Stl% Block %
    Really not even in the same class.

8. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

You also have to keep in mind that it is the Atlanta Hawks that are making the top pick, the same team that traded Luka for Trae Young and is now looking to trade Trae Young while Luka is potentially on his way to the Western Conference Finals, a couple of years ago many were surprised that Jabari fell to #3, and last year people were shocked to see Cam drop to #20. I would not put it past the Hawks to do something out of the ordinary that changes the draft board.

Shark44 likes this.
  9. Arnel

Arnel Member

lol they’re both white guards, that’s about it. Austin is just an average shooter, while Reed is an elite shooter. Huge difference

Sooty likes this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Look I'm getting tired going back and forth with the same people over and over.

RS is good, but I prefer a big wing like Risacher or CW. If you remember Keegan Murray Vs Jabari, KM had more skills but Jabari is 6'10. Now 2 yrs later we can see the ceiling on KM because of his height. Remember Scoot was ranked ahead of Amen in consensus right? How did that turn out?

At the end of the day though I trust our FO and talent evaluators, Stone, EW and co. have killed it the past 3 yrs. If they think RS is good for top 3 ok. But me personally I think CW and Risacher will be better players than RS in 3 yrs. I believe that skills can be taught and I value being a good shooter and elite defender more than being an elite shooter and average defender.

We all have different takes no need to call me racist just cuz I don't like a normal sized Pg at 3. I'm a racist because I don't like RS and I'm a racist because I didn't know Risacher's dad is black lol wtf Bro.

#750 roslolian, May 13, 2024
    Last edited: May 13, 2024
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

He'll be good, just not here

Arnel likes this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Talking about Scoot, I would bet almost anything that Reed Sheppard will have a better career.

Regarding Keegan Murray vs. Jabari Smith Jr. - Keegan Murray is almost 3 years older. Reed Sheppard is 19.

clutchdabear likes this.
  14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Reed and Steph are significantly different college players. Steph could get to the line in college and he had a dramatically higher usage rate. I like a lot of things about Reed and he checks a lot of boxes for a Udoka type player in this weak draft, but no one should expect him to be the same style as Steph.

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Man I don't see it with Clingan.

Don't get me wrong I think he'll probably be pretty good at what he does, but he's just a big man you can probably find 20-30 of, maybe more, around the league. Even in an extremely thin draft I don't want to aim that low with the 3rd pick.

16. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Because of your weird fixation with height. In the Amen drive and kick scenario, I’d rather he pass out to the dude who is the better shooter instead of someone who is 5 inches taller.

Scoots problem is he can’t shoot or play D, which are Sheppard’s projected strengths. Same with Westbrook, who is not held back by his lack of height, but rather because the dude hits backboard.

Outlier, clutchdabear and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Alex Sarr (likely won’t be available)
    Zaccharie Risacher
    Reed Sheppard
    Matas Buzelis
    Cody Williams
    Dalton Knecht
    Donovan Clingan
    Rob Dillingham
    Nikola Topić
    Stephon Castle

or something like that. (Not a scout & haven’t watched any games :))

Really after Sheppard (and him too), any of them would’ve been fine at 9 but alas…3 it is.

Which player(s) would I/you regret passing on? (No benefit of hindsight or after the fact).

Risacher and maaayyybe Sheppard?
    Knecht = safe, solid, unspectacular (nothing wrong with that)
    Would I regret passing on Buzelis or Williams? (So you’re saying there’s a chance)
    Would I regret passing on Zubac I mean Clingan? (Ehhh)
    Would I regret passing on Topic/Castle/Dillingham?

I think the Spurs would take Risacher if he fell to them at 4. Possibly Sheppard too,

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I believe Curry was a bit over a year older than Reed Sheppard is now when he entered the NBA. Curry was "just" 21 and Sheppard is 19, but will turn 20 soon.

clutchdabear and conquistador#11 like this.
  19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Any updates on the sprint times?

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

9’2”

conquistador#11 likes this.