1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

19.7%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

8.9%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.3%
  4. Donovan Clingan

8.8%
  5. Zach Edey

2.9%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.4%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.7%
  8. Reed Sheppard

41.1%
  9. Nikola Topić

9.3%
  10. Dalton Knecht

0.9%
  1. HealthyHamstring

Reed Sheppard plays like young Mike Conley

2. Arnel

Arnel Member

Why did you have to remind us of that travesty. To this day i still can’t believe we didn’t get him with one of the 3 picks lol. And dude was so sad and openly wanted to play for his hometown team. Funny how 90% of rockets fans were smarter than the brain farted front office.

3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Devin Carter would have been my reach pick at #9. One of the best defensive players in the draft and a versatile contributor. Has range out to the logo even if the shot looks a bit funky, shot 40% on catch and shoot threes, grabbed 8.7 rebounds per game despite only being 6'3", gets lots of steals and blocks, and has an underrated offensive repertoire. The only problem is he's 6'3" with no PG skills, but he's so fun to watch just on activity alone. He, Amen, and Tari would have teams on lock. Can't justify taking him at our pick though.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I still remember Rudy T glowing about how Boki went something like 20-23 on 3's when they brought him in or something. It's gotten to the point I don't really even care what they do in workouts. lol.

5. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

For all this height and wingspan talk, remember we once had one of the best defenders in a position where those things matter most … Chuck Hayes. At WORST Sheppard looks like he could become a better shooting, more athletic version of Pat Bev. Maybe not what you ideally want at 3 but certainly not the worst scenario even if he busts. At best he turns into a better Conley/FVV. I hope we don’t overthink this pick, we already have enough boom/bust athletic wings.

Even if you think Amen is the point of the future, at best he’s likely to be what Ben Simmons was at his peak, in which case you’d still want an elite shooting secondary ball handler next to him.

#605 YaoMac09, May 13, 2024
    Last edited: May 13, 2024
  6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Before the draft he was ranked 9th. After the draft he shot up. Some plant crypto coin scheme going on. Rockets please don't get him at 3.

7. phasors28

phasors28 Member

Apologies if posted but all this talk about drafting a shooter reminds me of this draft moment from the Sacramento Kings. I still get a laugh out of this as it’s a good reminder for team owners (and message board posters :) )to stay out of draft decisions.

pippendagimp likes this.
  8. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I like Topic. Sheppard’s shooting form looks suspect to me.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So, you're saying the shooting form of the 24% 3 point shooter looks better to you than the 52% 3 point shooter?

That's certainly interesting.

10. dmoneybangbang

IDK.... I lean towards trade... but for who? We will know more after playoffs.

11. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

He shoots like Klay?

Arnel likes this.
  12. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Tbh, I know nothing about these prospects.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

"Eye test" FTW

subtomic likes this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s literally textbook perfect form from Sheppard

15. MystikArkitect

Before the lottery you mean? He was consistently Top 5 and some had him at #1.

cheke64 and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No worries, I was just curious because I've said that I don't think Topic's shooting is as much a concern as most say due to his poor numbers. His shot looks better than his results.....but Sheppard legitimately could be one of the best shooters in the entire league within a few years.

Of course, with Topic, he just had another leg injury today, the second of the season. I'm thinking he's going to fall quite a bit.

He could have been a top 3 pick, but I think he falls outside of the top 10 now.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, yeah.

In fairness, eye test matters a lot more when trying to project kids into the NBA...but that's why it's such a hard thing to do and even the pros end up with busts.

I was a lot more down on Topic, till I spent some time watching his games and seeing him shoot. He looks like someone who just hasn't put in the time developing the 3 rather than someone who isn't capable of doing it.....now can he stay healthy? Different story.

18. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

But every mock draft I read has Sheppard falling to #7-10 range while Topic is always in top 5

19. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I guess I just don’t like the fact that he’s 6’1” but doesn’t jump when shooting

20. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member