1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

20.2%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

8.2%
  3. Stephon Castle

0.8%
  4. Donovan Clingan

9.9%
  5. Zach Edey

3.0%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.5%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.9%
  8. Reed Sheppard

40.7%
  9. Nikola Topić

9.3%
  10. Dalton Knecht

0.6%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Same.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Reed Sheppard looks like a role player to me. Guys that can shoot it are a dime in a dozen. Armani Brooks, Steve Novak, etc. Can he do other stuff on the court?

CriscoKidd and Lovemachine2000 like this.
  3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

That's cool maybe we can pick the next Chase Budinger with our 3rd overall.

CriscoKidd likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Name one guy who can hit 50% from 3 and have a 42 inch vertical.

He's like an athletic version of Steph Curry

clutchdabear and AroundTheWorld like this.
  5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The whole draft is probably role players so that really doesn't matter. Cam Whitmore would be the clear #1 pick in this draft and we stole him, so we're already playing from ahead. Rockets don't need more star power, they need a cohesive team.

Sheppard is the cleanest fit with what we have, a potential successor to FVV, fits a clear need (shooting), and is no slouch athletically or defensively. The clear pick in my opinion.

6. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Reed Sheppard checks a lot of boxes for the Rockets in particular. I won't be upset if they end up taking him, I just think at three is a little high. Somebody will fall in love with someone and want to move up to that pick. If you can trade back a little and get Reed, that's probably a good move. Topic getting hurt is unfortunate though. He's a guy I thought someone might want to move up for, but maybe not now.

7. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Should we split this into a new thread since it's a separate Topic

I'll show myself out

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I'm of the opinion that at 6'0-6'3, your length actually doesn't matter all that much on defense. At that position you won't be playing defense and contest shots with your T-Rex arms anyway, it's almost 90 percent defensive positioning IQ, quick/strong hands, and having a strong core.

We have had 3 dwarf defenders in the past decade, and they are some of the most impactful defenders on our team. Lowry, Chris Paul and now FVV. They cause so much havoc despite their size. How many times have we seen FVV just rip the ball from bigger players this season, or exploiting bigger players weak handles on the perimeter.

Now I haven't watched enough Reed to compare him to the above, but from what I'm hearing he's another guy with great defensive IQ. He just needs to get stronger.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Coming around to Dalton Knecht if the Rockets are picking at 3. Shooting + athleticism.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  11. Lovemachine2000

If Reed, at any point of his NBA career, plays like Grayson Allen we saw this past season, it would be well beyond my expectation of him.

12. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I really like him too. I think his stock goes up the closer we get to the draft. 3 might not be out of the question when it's all said and done.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Great points, but you aren’t concerned about the 6’2” height on the wing? That would be the shortest 2-guard in the league. Maybe I’m over fixated on the height. I guess as a combo guard it could work. What’s very clear to me is that he’s a special shooter; if the height isn’t gonna change that against nba competition I’m in.

#593 Aruba77, May 13, 2024
    Last edited: May 13, 2024
    Arnel likes this.
  14. j@amc

j@amc Member

I think you're on the right track. For the naysayers, carve out some time and watch this meticulous breakdown.

And then remember how much athletic upside he'll have in the NBA-style game with the freedom of movement rules. Some think Sheppard doesn't have the game to set others up as if he's only an SG. It's completely unfounded.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

He's ranked in the 50's as a prospect, too many guys who shoot better or with more physical gifts. I could see him being UDFA ..... If I were his agent, I'd recommend going back for another year at the very least.

eman likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think my biggest issue with Knecht is that he's practically a senior citizen already I want to see more, but I'm not sure I'm picking him over Sheppard if the 2 are available.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  17. Lovemachine2000

Some of y'all are wild for comparing Reed Sheppard to Curry and Nash. To me Reed is between a white Luther Head and a black Kirk Hinrich.

Fullcourt and BenjaminChen like this.
  18. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Yeah this video (and others) should make it clear how Reed can be utilized. He's not "just" a shooter. I'm not saying he's an elite playmaker or anything, but he clearly has some high end processing and passing skills. I'd *still* like Reed a lot even if he turned out to be just a league average shooter (though admittedly probably not at #3). Definitely could be a bust, but he's got the skillset and BBIQ that I'd gladly take a flyer on.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

#599 J.R., May 13, 2024
    Last edited: May 13, 2024
    BigMaloe and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't think I'd make that Brooks + 3 for Bridges deal. (and definitely NOT the 26 Nets pick too as @Hemingway added above.)

In concept it sounds like a fair deal but when you get to the nuts and bolts of the roster after the trade, we still have a logjam at the 3 spot with Bridges, Tari, Amen, Cam & Tate all fighting for minutes there.

It just doesn't make much sense for me to make what appears to be such a minor upgrade at the cost of such a high pick with all the potential that is already on the roster.
    Even if Bridges is better than that list of players currently - I think there's expectation that at least one of them becomes a better player than Bridges.

Hell, if it were the 12th pick, I might still balk at the idea ..... I just don't think Bridges is a needle mover and prefer to keep my powder dry until that player comes along.

Slim, OremLK and kspires999 like this.