1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

20.2%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

8.2%
  3. Stephon Castle

0.8%
  4. Donovan Clingan

9.9%
  5. Zach Edey

3.0%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.5%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.9%
  8. Reed Sheppard

40.7%
  9. Nikola Topić

9.3%
  10. Dalton Knecht

0.6%
  1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

it’s an interesting point about Amen. I agree, the org is gonna want to eventually run the offense through him, which makes Shepard less of an obvious target, because I think he has to play the point in the nba. This also makes it less likely they’d pick Topic.

I won’t be surprised if they take a 2-way shooter like Risacher. Or if they take Clingan as their long term defensive center solution.

Slim and hlmbasketball like this.
  2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

3. Agent94

Agent94 Member

4. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

Reed Sheppard vs Rob Dillingham , who's better and got more upside?

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Point guard and shooting guard.

6. NewAge

NewAge Member

the Euros are way overrated.
    Topic reminds me of Rockets legend Al Shved: thanks, but no thanks
    Recasner is a very poor man’s Jabari Smith Jr.

I’d stick to the NCAA guys: the two KY guards, or the two UConn champions. The old man from Tennessee is OK, too.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's a tweener in the same way Steph Curry was seen as a tweener once upon a time.

He's more of a shooter than a pure point but he's the size of a pure point.

That said, he's such an amazing shooter that his gravity leads to open players making life much easier for him.

I could be talking about either player when I say that.

Now of course, having a tweener guard matters a lot less when you're talking about pairing them with a 6'7 PG and you have a point center on the court as well.

On defense, he'd guard the PG spot, on offense he'd play more like a traditional SG.

Y2JT, Agent94 and Strawberry Gum like this.
  8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Hopefully this is the same shooting drill that Mirsad Turkcan, Dan Langhi etc dominated back in the day and that Rashard Lewis simply wasn't good enough at

Arnel and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

If Amen can really ultimately play point offensively that's actually all the more reason for drafting Sheppard as a perfect potential long term compliment in a backcourt with Amen. Would cover each other's weaknesses to an extent.

Y2JT, Strawberry Gum and Aruba77 like this.
  10. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Top Euro players out of the Spanish, Turkish, and French league have done great.

Don't let the Adriatic League's location fool you, the top Balkan prospects always play outside the borders of Yugoslavia.

Arnel and OremLK like this.
  11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

What league is Topic in?

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

This is something that could actually shake up the top two depending on what Washington is thinking--I've been thinking Topic for them because they just really need a guy like that who you can potentially maybe build your offense around, and even if he doesn't end up being a #1 option at least he is a focal point to start developing something. But if he's hurt maybe they go a different direction?

13. j@amc

j@amc Member

Adriatic now. He has played some Euroleague too.

14. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Love the shooting but is he Steph or JJ Reddick? I don't know. I saw both in college, including Reed. Steph was phenomenal, JJ was great and Reed was good but on a very good team.

To me, Reed is hard to gauge.

No Worries, Arnel and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. j@amc

j@amc Member

non-contact same left knee. Not good for Topic.

BigMaloe, OremLK and Rudyc281 like this.
  16. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Solid - thanks for the assist. Still looks like a slow release, but hey, at least he proved he can shoot it on the move a bit.

...not trying to bag on the guy but the size still concerns me. They can probably work on the release - he brings the ball down to his crotch. Obviously that can be worked on with with practice because it's wasted motion in his shot....just a little disappointed with the options available with the 3rd pick. Here we are trying to talk ourselves into drafting a shorter version of the next Garrison Mathews with the 3rd pick(and paying them $8mil/year) when the real Garrison Mathews can be had for $2.5 mil this offseason.

17. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Adriatic League, it's why I mentioned it by name.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Huh? If Amen is running the point, he is going to need a guy that can screen for him (Sengun), guys that can shoot, guys that can cut, and a guy that can be a secondary ball handler. I don't think the Rockets will be basing the pick on existing fit, but if they were, a guy like Sheppard that could fill both the three point shooter and secondary ball handler roles would be a great fit for the offense with Amen running the show. Even with Amen at point, having Sheppard would allow the Rockets to have a different look to still get some plays with Amen cutting. The only thing that doesn't fit is that Sheppard may not be a good POA defender in the NBA.

Now if you want to say Jalen....that's a different story. I don't think the Rockets would want Jalen and Sheppard on the floor together for defensive reasons when POA problem gets magnified and Jalen wouldn't give the same different look when Sheppard has the ball.

AroundTheWorld and Aruba77 like this.
  19. MystikArkitect

Topic just got injured and had to be carried off. His draft stock is shot.

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I wonder is that's bait so the Spurs can get him.