1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Ideas Involving the 3rd Pick Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, May 12, 2024.

1. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

Saw a report a couple days ago about the Rockets attempting to trade Brooklyn their picks back for the Suns picks owed to Brooklyn in the KD trade. Basically would give the Rockets an additional future 1st rounder. I would offer the Nets that trade again now that the value has gone up on this years 1st rounder. I would then add in Cam Whitmore, Dillon Brooks, and filler for Mikal Bridges and id tell them this is their last chance to get their picks back. They could finally make a decision to rebuild instead of staying in draft purgatory. Id possibly even allow them to keep a Suns first(2025 since those in a couple years are going to be way more valuable in my opinion when they blow the Suns up). Im still convinced that Bridges being coached by Ime is a perennial first team all nba defender and someone that can get the Rockets 20+ppg per night.

No way we keep this first rounder. We were having a hard enough time currently finding minutes(developing) for everyone and that was with Tari being out most of the year.

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

I would probably rather us trade Dillon Brooks than trade this draft pick, to free up minutes. Though maybe you do both.

I will also say there were plenty of minutes that went to Jae'Sean Tate and Aaron Holiday. Those are low-hanging fruit to replace.

sydmill, mdoggnic and lpbman like this.
  3. MystikArkitect

Amen/Booker/Bridges/Jabari/Sengun would be the starting 5 of the next 3-5 years in that scenario. 3 starters from our draft picks.

FVV/Dillon would come off the bench or FVV could start first year if we don't feel Amen is ready. DB needs to come off the bench anyway as Bridges is a better player than him at almost everything. His contract off the bench isnt that big of a deal and Bridges doesn't make that much money either. Cam would sit behind Mikal and eventually take over depending on his progression. Cam is the scorer of the future in any scenario either way.

4. Rokman

Rokman Member

Houston Trades:

#3 Pick + #44 Pick

Detroit Trades:

#5 Pick and Duren

As long as Rockets can get Sheppard.

5. Nook

Nook Member

I am sure that the Rockets will look at trade situations - but the #3 in this draft isn't worth as much as some drafts, and short of a team falling in love with a player sitting at #3, I don't see it happening. The Rockets could try and offer the Nets their pick back for Mikal Bridges but the early reports are that the NETS want the #3 pick and more in exchange for Bridges and I am not even certain Bridges helps long term that much. He is under contract for two seasons, turn 28 years old in a few weeks and already wore down as the season progressed last year. He isn't a stopper on defense, he is just a good defender and he isn't a world beater on offense.

The Hawks also are expected to be in the market to move the #1 pick. The Rockets may be best served trading up for the player that they want (Sarr) or sticking at #3 and taking a player that they like and fits their needs like Sheppard or Clingan or maybe another shooter like Risacher.

While there are no clear cut superstars, there are a lot of guys with the upside of all-star or long-term high-level starter.

xaos, Deuce, BHannes2BHonest and 7 others like this.
  6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Nook, what do you think would be a fair offer for the #1? I ask because you are likely to give a reasonable answer.

7. Rokman

Rokman Member

I'd give them Green, Brooks and future BKN pick to get Sarr. Keep #5 though. They are dumping Trae for something so they can replace him with Green. Take Sarr and Sheppard. Fixes size, defense and shooting in one go.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No WAY do you trade Cam, he is the most likely player on our roster to become a superstar.

DD

Mr.Scary and MadMax94$ like this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Besides for Sengun and Amen.

10. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In 1993, the #1 pick was traded for the #3 pick and 3 future first round picks. In 2017 the #1 pick was traded for #3 and a future first.

I would say it’s going to cost closer to the latter since there is not really a clear cut #1 that teams are clamoring for.

Sorry, this wasn’t addressed to me but the question piqued my interest.

No Worries and Aruba77 like this.
  11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

it’s interesting. I hadn’t considered the idea of trading up. How much better is Sarr than the other top prospects? I don’t know much about Sarr other than he appears to be the consensus #1. I guess it’s the 2-way stretch 4 potential?

12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Here's a better trade

Sengun + #3 to ATL for #1 and AJ Griffin?

Draft Sarr to backup Adams initially, Griffin is a very good shooter off the bench

13. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

Paul George

14. ROXTXIA

It must be. Although I haven't seen most of these players in the draft. So I can only go by what I read. Which means, Information all over the place.

15. ROXTXIA

Sometimes I wonder if you're Greek and you blame Sengun's great-great-grandfather for the sack of Smyrna.

joshuaao, topfive and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No he’s just not very smart

ROXTXIA likes this.
  17. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Out of the box STARS to trade for if they become available:

Stephen Curry - 2 YRS REMAINING
    Anthony Davis - 3 YRS REMAINING + PO
    Ja Morant - 4 YRS REMAINING
    Bam Adebayo - 2 YRS REMAINING
    Khris Middleton - 2 YRS REMAINING
    KAT - 3 YRS REMAINING + PO
    Rudy Gobert - 2 YRS REMAINING
    CJ McCollum - 2 YRS REMAINING
    Bradley Beal - 2 YRS REMAINING + PO
    De'Aaron Fox - 2 YRS REMAINING

Most of these guys you call the teams GM and you get hung up on BUT some of these stars are in the ladder part of their careers.

Would the #3 + two other future firsts + JG + salary fillers be enough? Maybe... but I lean into the overpay here to see what this team can do with a true star talent.

18. futilman

futilman Member

#3 to Brooklyn for their unprotected mavs and suns picks

19. mdoggnic

Good point about Aaron Holiday minutes although I think he played well enough throughout the season to deserve those minutes. I just think the rockets timeline doesnt match on taking another 18, 19, or 20 year old at #3 and possibly waiting a year or 2 before that player affects winning. I didnt see the rockets standing pat this offseason even before they got #3. They took enough of a leap this season that they know that with the right veteran coming in in a trade for one or 2 of our youngsters that they can make another 10+ game leap next season in the western conference standings. I think the level of veteran player in return went up when we got #3 in lottery. Gonna be an interesting offseason.

20. mdoggnic

I respect the opinion. I just dont see it currently with cam. Hes still young and can definitely improve but currently only has ine speed and that speed is “Russell Westbrook”. I love the motor but he needs to recognize when to use it and when to not. Hopefully it comes. I think it will but I still rate several youngsters on the rockets higher than Cam currently.

xaos likes this.