1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

20.2%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

8.2%
  3. Stephon Castle

0.8%
  4. Donovan Clingan

9.9%
  5. Zach Edey

3.0%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.5%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.9%
  8. Reed Sheppard

40.7%
  9. Nikola Topić

9.3%
  10. Dalton Knecht

0.6%
  1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Dillingham's height isn't the biggest issue to me, the problem to me is that he has an extremely slight frame.

It's makes it near impossible to not be a really bad defender when you are so easily bodied out of your position and short. If he's not a near elite offensive weapon he's probably gonna struggle to stay a net positive.

Sheppard isn't a tank, but some time in the weight room and I think he will carry weight and strength much easier

2. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

This is how I knew some posters are uninformed when it comes to prospect evaluation and especially when it comes to Reed Sheppard. He was known to have a 40”+ vertical before the combine.

TheJet, BigMaloe, YaoMac09 and 8 others like this.
  3. j@amc

j@amc Member

Ok. Close the door. Check out the vertical. Cast your votes for Reed.

Arnel and AroundTheWorld like this.
  4. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I wouldn't mind trading back and getting Knecht either. I think he's a reach at 3, but I'd rather have him than most of the players in this draft.

Y2JT and PWR like this.
  5. OremLK

OremLK Member

You have a source on that? I hadn't seen it in any of the scouting reports I looked at.

6. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I thought he’d test there in the ~38.5-39.5 range. 42 is legit.

BigMaloe, joshuaao, OremLK and 3 others like this.
  7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

It's reasonable to question Sheppard's potential despite the glowing advanced statistics. I just hope people don't think measurements are the end all be all for upside. We have FVV on our team already as a counterpoint. He won a championship with Kyle Lowry, also 6'0", and both have been all-stars with defensive impact. Sengun had questionable measurements and athleticism for a big man in the 2021 draft and he's been one of the best players. Height and wingspan are even less important for guards, especially those that can shoot. Desmond Bane was much maligned for his shorter-than-height 6'4" wingspan in the 2020 draft and he's a monster on both ends.

Upside is all in your head. Andrew Wiggins and Nikola Jokic were in the same draft class. Wiggins was touted as the best prospect since Lebron, I bet most people thought he had higher upside than Jokic. I doubt most people had Jokic's upside as one of the best players of all time, which he ended up being. I doubt Nash's upside was two-time MVP either. Because upside is all about who has long arms and can jump the highest, amirite?

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

10. j@amc

j@amc Member

Sheppard is pretty remarkable and doesn't rely on his athleticism, but you're right. This is no fluke.

Here he is in high school soaring to the rim. Great timing, by the way, too.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Great post. I might come off as a Reed hater but I just want to point out that he's really small. Like Fvv and Lowry small despite being listed as a few inches taller. He could end up being a great player but he's gonna be a great small player. There's a reason Lowry and Brunson were late 2nds and Fvv was undrafted. It's not impossible for tiny players to be good but there are more hurdles. I wouldn't mind ultimately drafting Reed at 3 too much because I think this whole draft is a crapshoot anyway but with the way the league is getting bigger and bigger, I'd love to have a lineup that was all 6'5 or taller.

joshuaao, MrButtocks and OremLK like this.
  12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, the vert being elite kinda changes things in terms of him being able to get his shot off and contest opposing shots. Hmm. Going to be tough between him and Risacher if both are available at 3.

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Want to take your takes back?

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

White man CAN jump :p

AroundTheWorld, PWR and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s 3 inches taller than Fred and 2 inches taller than Lowry though right?
    Lowry was 5’11.75 at combine i believe.

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Not for me. Speed is greater than vertical. Have they shown that stat yet? Elite players have elite speed, dunkers have great vertical

Arnel likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

CP3 is shorter and lighter than Sheppard and even back in his prime CP3 had a vertical leap 4 inches less than Sheppard.

Sheppard is also an absolutely elite 3 point shooter and has a very high BBIQ....

I just don't see a lot not to like.

Also, we'd be pairing him with a 6'7 PG

Arnel and Snow Villiers like this.
  18. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Yeah but again it's all neck and head which is my point. Look at the agility drill video that was just posted. He has a huge dome on him. My crusade isn't against Reed Sheppard, it's against the pointlessness of top of the head height measurement in the NBA. Everything above the shoulders is inconsequential.

roslolian, Arnel and FishBulb913 like this.
  19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Sheppard is also a dog on defense. Ime will like that

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Doesn’t matter when he can kiss the rim with that “dome”