1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Hush Money Trial

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by deb4rockets, Apr 13, 2024.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

salvy and the epoch times don't tell the truth. Neither does trump. Funny there is that connection...

ROCKSS and Xopher like this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

There are some that shouldn't be prosecuted, definitely. Those that are truly innocent and clean. Trump is not one of them. He has a history of lying, falsifying business records, overstating property tax values for loans and understating it for tax reasons, frauds, refusing to pay people he hires, .. the list goes on. This is a morally bankrupt guy, corrupted, a fraudster... he has always gotten away from it and might still do so here, but to say he shouldn't have been in court? No, he's not a morally upright, clean, just person.

deb4rockets, ROCKSS and Xopher like this.
  3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I guess my question has always been the timing of the trial and the alleged crime. A crime from the last decade going trial just before the election seems scandalous. Of course, the newish DA ran on getting this to trial so I get that people want him held accountable if guilty so I am hoping the jury makes an accurate decision. I don't get how some say this isn't political.

Plowman likes this.
  4. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

The timing of the trial Trump had been trying to delay for 14 months?

Andre0087 likes this.
  5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I am sure 24 months would have been more ideal for the Trump camp.

6. NewRoxFan

So you don't have an issue with whether trump broke the law or not in this trial, but only the timing of the trial?

Throughout the past ten years trump has played the legal system on timing. He claimed you can't bring a sitting president to trial. And even though the charges for this trial were brought before he was a candidate, he claims you can't try him since he is a candidate for president. And if you don't file charges in time, he claims statute of limitations as his defense.

Here's a great idea... don't run a criminal as your candidate. You can't tell me with all the potential maga republican candidates out there, you can't find one that isn't a criminal?

7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Brb, googling Trump's criminal convictions.

8. edwardc

edwardc Member

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I don't pay attention to that, but just to the merit of the case. To me, it has merit, and again, this person is no innocent person.

Politically, the timing sucks. All of them (not just this case). Does this case really matter, politically? I don't know. The case itself is probably a turnout boost for Trump. Even a guilty verdict might actually boost turnout for him - no idea. Is it the right thing to do - yes, it is, even if the timing sucks. The judiciary should be completely and fully independent of the political process.

10. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

See you back on truth social and random Facebook groups soon…

11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I mean, maybe. If the judge dismisses this case or the jury acquits the defendant, then I would offer that this was a waste of time and money. I guess we will find out next month.

12. NewRoxFan

The jury acquitted oj simpson, should they never have gone to trial?

13. NewRoxFan

LOL... trump even lies about this...

14. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I responded to your inquiry already. What is the correlation?

15. NewRoxFan

You just implied that if a defendant is acquitted then the state should not have had a trial. Of course, that is what our legal system is responsible for, to determine the guilt or innocence of the accused. Some times they get it wrong (eg in the oj case), but it is still supposed to work through that determination.

Unless you think trump is somehow above the law?

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven’t studied Bragg’s history but prosecutors’ job is to prosecute. Given the evidence yes Trump should be charged and indicted.

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump might be acquitted and he has his full due process rights. What many here seem to be saying though is that Trump shouldn’t have been charged because he is a politician running for office.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It seems your only point is that if a case fails to convict, it shouldn't have happened. That's a very bad standard. If that were the standard - that is, unless the prosecution is 100% sure of a conviction, it shouldn't happen, then literally no cases should be tried.

19. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We wouldn't even be having this discussion if those spineless Trump coddling Republicans had done the right thing and voted to impeach Trump the Traitor in 2020. Now, he's running from the law and everyone on his side is acting like this is some political witch hunt.

If not for all the delays, delays, he would have already been on trial for his crimes in Georgia, for hiding and obstructing justice from getting his stashed boxes of classified documents, and for his planned coup and insurrection to steal the vote and stay in power. It's not election interference. It's holding someone accountable for breaking the laws, regardless of what his occupation is or his political affiliation.

People need to face the hard truth. Nobody would still be walking free of ALL these crimes except for a politician running for President. Nobody. Trump wouldn't even be running for President if his party of loyalists had a spine or an ounce of integrity. They knew the truth! They pled the 5th or flat out lied about it. He should have been impeached! The MAGA Republicans and Trump's MAGA politicians and appointed jellyfish on the Supreme Court and judges are trying their best to keep a con, felon, and psychopath out of jail, in hopes of him winning an election. They don't give a damn about criminals in their party. They have no ounce of integrity or honor. They are spineless pawns, too power hungry and cowardly to stand for truth and justice.

#659 deb4rockets, May 13, 2024
    Last edited: May 13, 2024
    VooDooPope likes this.
  20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

No, I just think this particular case was a reach especially in 2024. Now if the state was ready to proceed immediately after Trump left office, then roll with it. Murder trials are notoriously slow moving and this has taken longer than 90% of those. Maybe I will change my opinion once the prosecution proves a crime occurred. Didn't Bragg even think the case was weak at one time? I am sure a lot of the country feels this case is a sham. Of course the partisan hacks on this board are 100% sure Trump is guilty.