1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

19.8%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

8.8%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.3%
  4. Donovan Clingan

8.8%
  5. Zach Edey

2.9%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.4%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.8%
  8. Reed Sheppard

41.0%
  9. Nikola Topić

9.3%
  10. Dalton Knecht

0.9%
  1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I like Matas.

lakersuck2 likes this.
  2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s nice. Big, athletic wing. I just don’t see where he fits on the team

Y2JT likes this.
  3. Pete Coldcut

Pete Coldcut Member

Trading the pick seems like the obvious call. With the draft being so unsettled, no one has any idea who goes where all the way through like picks 2-10 (and is Sarr even consensus 1?). So even though this is a weaker draft, teams focused on one guy have a bigger incentive to trade up, even just one or two spots, because they can't count on their guy being there at a particular break point.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

We talked earlier about this and his standing reach is like 3" shorter than Steph's. I'd also contest the idea that he's more athletic than Steph, but we'll see.

In any case, Steph is Steph because he's literally the greatest shooter of all time. If Reed can be even 85% of that, sure, but I'm always extremely wary of putting all my eggs in one basket when I try to evaluate prospects. I like guys who do a number of different things well so they have something to fall back on, as opposed to betting on guys to have one insanely elite skill.

Anyway, I like Reed for what he is, but I was pretty disappointed by his combine measurements.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Reed has some tiny hands.

6. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Oh to be clear, I'm just quibbling over quarter inches with Reed. I'm not as bothered as most about the measurements. Maybe because this is about what I expected (though 6'2.0" psychologically would be better than 6'1.75"). I've already factored all of that in with my evaluation of him. He's going to be a target on defense, and he will need to develop a FVV style of defense to make up for it. I've seen FVV just rip the ball away from Jarrett Allen and make Paolo dribble the ball off his feet, so it is certainly possible. Maybe unlikely, but yeah Reed will need to develop that way in order to be a long-time NBA starter (or rotation player). I think All-NBA is off the table unless he becomes Steve Nash 2.0 (that's about as likely as me becoming Steve Nash 2.0 I think?).

I do think Reed has the potential to be very physical on defense (though needs to get a lot stronger), and I think his processing/anticipation (hand eye coordination) will help make up for the size mismatch in some cases. Good motor too. If you're going to be undersized, you better have those attributes. I do think he's a bit slow laterally though, but maybe I'm wrong on that.

#426 RC Cola, May 13, 2024
    Last edited: May 13, 2024
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly not worried about standing reach for a guard. If he can play like a PG and off ball shooter that’s all you need.
    He’s a solid athlete that didn’t have trouble finishing in college.

clutchdabear and OremLK like this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'm not diametrically opposed to taking him, and if we do, I'll hope the shooting and defensive instincts are as advertised! Just think I'm in the "Risacher is a better overall prospect" camp for now. Of course, if Risacher and Sarr are off the board I don't even know who I'd take at this point, so maybe he would kind of be the guy by default.

10. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

His height is all neck though that's why the standing reach and wingspan are unimpressive. Having a long neck is no advantage in basketball. Steph is an ungodly anomaly and should never be compared to any prospect ever again. Even then, Reed's handle isn't in the same galaxy as Steph's and that's what unlocks a lot of his shooting.

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Again, standing reach doesn’t factor in for guards whatsoever.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Because of the skills he’s displayed. He has outlier shooting and defensive skills in a major way.

3.2 steals + blocks to 1.9 fouls

52% on 2.3 3PM

Add on that he has a 53% FG, 4.5 assist to 2 turnovers, averaged 4 rebounds, he not only has extreme outlier skills, but is well rounded everywhere else on top of it. All of this as a 19 year old freshman on a top team in a power conference.

In this particular draft, this kid has the acolladles to go anywhere in the top 5

joshuaao and clutchdabear like this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

If standing reach doesn't matter then height doesn't either. It's basically the functional conversion of your height. If there was a shoulder height measurement I'd use that instead. Any height from the top of your shoulders to the top of your head is completely useless. That's why guys like Bam and Dwight Howard can be incredible defenders at 6'9. I know you said guards but I'm just talking about the measurement of true height in general. It definitely plays a part in interior finishing and that's why FVV can almost never get a layup off in traffic. The fact that Sheppard is taller and has a bigger wingspan than Dillingham but has a much shorter standing reach points towards the fact that his height is mostly head and neck.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

It's actually a disadvantage if someone grabs it.

Easy and NIKEstrad like this.
  16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yeah but Gobert's inches are measured in the metric system - people frequently forget this.

Tuckmose likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

?????

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why are we talking about the height of someone nearly 6'2 when our current highest paid player is allegedly 6'0 in shoes FVV?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

You are telling me Reed Sheppard may win the tip off battle with Donovan Clingan???