1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Hypothetical Astros Trades Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snake Diggit, Apr 23, 2024.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

As someone said on another thread, the next 13 games will tell a big part of the story. The competition isn't nearly as strong as we have faced so far. A 9-4/10-3 stretch here could change the entire outlook. 6-7 or something similar makes the chances of turning this around pretty remote

A 10-3 run leading into a 4 game set with Seattle could have us right in the division race by the first of June which leaves 4 months of baseball

juicystream likes this.
  2. Kphorns14

Kphorns14 Member

Would really love to get a top level SP prospect or 2. In it or not, I’d still trade bregman for a top 100 SP. Let dubon/Wagner play 3B. Only downfall is if they somehow are in the hunt/make playoffs you lose a quality utility asset in Dubon down the stretch. Maybe they could move a guy like Meyers/Chas for a solid eveyday 3B or utilitly and IF prospects if that’s the case. Need to take advantage of the OF log jam

3. The Beard

Astros get: M Conforto
    Giants get: J Meyers

Giants just lost Lee (their CF) to a dislocated shoulder yesterday. Conforto is a rental and Jake has 3 more years of control, but Conforto is a much better offensive player and generally keeps his OPS vs RHP around 800 (803 so far this year)

Now to be fair I have no idea what SF has in their system to come up and play CF, but in a division that they are extremely unlikely to win to get a replacement CF with some potential might get their attention, for us it would greatly improve our chances to make another run this year

4. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why does everyone want to trade the guy who has the fourth most WAR on the team and is under team control for multiple years? The guy who plays plus defense at a crucial position where we just so happen to have a need. Make it make sense?

5. raining threes

Chaz for Flaherty

6. raining threes

Because he throws the ball like a girl which out weighs his speed in the outfield. Plus he looks gunshy since hurting his shoulder when it comes to coming close to colliding with a wall/another player. Also he runs the bases like a mentally handicapped person.

7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Lmfao.

raining threes likes this.
  8. HeyBudLetsParty

I like Meyers as a 4th outfielder, he has great speed in the outfield but doesn’t capitalize it as a base stealer or runner and his arm is a total liability preventing his defense from being elite. Between Loperfido, Chas, Meyers there’s for sure some redundancy and maybe you can take advantage of that, similarly to when you got Yainer Diaz and Phil Maton for Myles Straw.

9. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think everyone has taken 3-4 throws Meyers has made over the last 1-2 months and made a huge deal out of something that is not a huge deal. He has an average to below average CF arm as well as plus plus range. To me, that's a solidly plus defense CF.

10. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

When there is a LH pitcher opposing put Loperfido in CF Alvarez in LF and Tucker in RF gives you an all LH batting outfield. Add Singleton and Caratini and you have 5 of 9 LH bats in the line up, nullifying the the pitchers advantage. Can we finally put the worrisome handedness discussions aside.

11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The point about Chas, Meyers, and Dubon all being too similar, in that they hit much better vs LHP is one of the reasons I feel having all 3 on the roster is a problem.

Complicating this is the fact that all 3 bring different things to the team that adds value and gives a legitimate reason to keep them despite the other challenges of that.

Meyers is elite with glove and legs in CF, but has a weak arm. Of the 3, he has the most upside and has the most club control.

Dubon can play every position except pitcher and catcher and has exceptional contact ability but is average at best in all other offensive areas. He adds infield versatility this team needs, but is the weakest OF defender among the 3, but the 1 with the best arm.

Chas is the most established and well rounded offensively but also the one showing the most red flags. He gained weight to improve his power and has since lost range in the OF and now developing hamstring issues. He may very well become a LF only player which drastically reduces his value.

Complicating this is Leon finally raking in AAA. He is younger and has many more tools and natural talent than any of the 3. He is exactly what Dana Brown loves.

Until a prospect does it on the field, nobody knows if he is a legitimate player or not.

The question is: "As a team with playoff aspirations and overall talent, should they give (another) unproven prospect a significant role at the expense of a proven but flawed player?"

It comes down to Chas and Meyers, as Dubon's ability to be the primary backup in the infield is simply needed too much.

If they do trade one, they should target a potential replacement for Bregman, Abreu/Singleton, Dubon, and SP. The OF talent is young, but coming, just like the SP was in 2017-2019.

12. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I don't even think he is the top three of bad baserunners on the team.
    Altuve is graduating Valedictorian in this particular class.
    If you are getting noticed for bad base running, you are at least on base.
    Can't say that about Bregman.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  13. The Beard

He has only started 21 of our 40 games, and for good or bad it isn't likely that will change. Dana said he was going to be the everyday CF this year but as with many things he says it simply isn't playing out that way

Combine that with the fact that he is in a group that all mash LHP and struggle vs RHP and it makes sense to balance up some. When you already have Yordan/Tucker then basically you are going to have to sit someone against LHP that mashes them, and you will always have two lesser hitters in the lineup vs RHP

14. The Beard

I'm assuming you mean when there is a RH pitcher? Cause vs LH Chas/Meyers/Dubon rake

I'm not worried about what side of the plate a guy stands on when he goes to bat

I'm worried about how they do vs pitchers that throw with a certain hand.

Diaz is a perfect example, his career splits vs RHP he has a 864 OPS and vs LHP a 642. Now he is young and hopefully that split vs LHP rises, but his minor league numbers also skewed towards being better vs RHP

On your lineup vs RHP

Caratini, while great as a backup catcher, has a career 687 OPS vs RHP, i'm not sure he is the answer as a DH vs RHP if we are trying to win a championship

Jon is another reverse split guy, his career OPS vs LHP is 821 but vs RHP it's 561 (although it's 724 this year)

Now hopefully Loper can crush RHP, I don't know what his minor league splits look like, but we haven't seen enough yet to know one way or another

But considering a large majority of MLB pitchers throw right handed, having a huge question mark in addition to two guys under 700 OPS wise might not be the best lineup build vs RHP?

15. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I just do not see a need for additional pitching. Going to a six man rotation for the next couple of months and putting Brown and Arrighetti in the pen should be plenty till the injured pitchers return sometime after mid season.
    Currently Available Rotation
    Valdez
    Verlander
    Javier
    Blanco
    Urquidy
    Brown
    Arrighetti
    Additional Potential Starters
    Blubaugh
    Bloss
    Garcia
    McCullers

#95 BlindHog, May 13, 2024
    Last edited: May 13, 2024
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Murfee is not a starter. Neither is Speas.

The Beard likes this.
  17. The Beard

I agree with most of this. I personally think Chas has the most upside simply because offensively he is the only one that has had a good run vs RHP, as good as Jake might be defensively there isn't much in his profile that says he will ever be even mlb average vs RHP

And if we were to move one of them right now, the only thing I wouldn't necessarily target is a replacement for Bregman. As awful as he has been, our only real chance of contending from where we are is for Alex to break out (he has actually showed a faint pulse the last few days) and honestly it probably depends on Chas coming back and reverting to last years form also.

I would prefer to move Jake and do it for someone who could help us win now, even if it is a platoon guy. Having said that, if the return for Chas was significantly better, I would be down with that too, as long as we were making a commitment to use both Jake and Dubon vs every LHP we face (assuming health) and have a plan to limit them vs RHP. Moving one of them for a mlb average 1B who hits RHP well would be ideal, but i've looked at every roster in the league and don't know who that might be

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I have been saying that Chas and Meyers are too similar and 1 should be traded, for 2+ years.

Now I think Leon is pressing the matter. He does everything both of them can do. He may strike out more, but both Chas and Jake strike out a fair bit so it won't be much more.

He may not have Jake's range or instincts in CF but he still should be better than average and with a better arm than Dubon.

He is faster than Chas or Dubon (maybe Jake) and a better base stealer than Jake or Dubon (maybe Chas)

He has more power than any of them.

He is younger, cheaper and has more years of control than any of them.

He is completely unproven at the MLB level.

everyday eddie, Shark44 and The Beard like this.
  19. The Beard

I would not be opposed to him coming up

But

If we have Leon, Loper and Jon all in the same lineup, that's a lot of K's for a team trying to win another ring

Is there a place to see minor league stat splits? How has Leon fared vs RHP?

everyday eddie likes this.
  20. The Beard

And I know some think the handedness isn't all that important

But even in the awful season that has been 2024, where we are 14th in runs scored

Arizona, Chicago and Baltimore are the only teams in baseball that have a higher OPS vs LHP than the Astros

Not the Dodgers, not the Phillies, not the Braves, not the skankees

We need improvements vs RHP in a pretty bad way