1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

20.2%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

8.2%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.0%
  4. Donovan Clingan

9.9%
  5. Zach Edey

3.0%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.5%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.9%
  8. Reed Sheppard

40.5%
  9. Nikola Topić

9.3%
  10. Dalton Knecht

0.6%
  1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

In many ways Sheppard looks to be an almost clone of FVV, which I'm perfectly fine with long term even if he likely lacks superstar upside. Understudy for a year and then take over.

I think he will be fine as a game managing PG. Very few recent champions had a traditional PG who racks up playmaking assists, the need for one is grossly overstated. Almost all of them have been scoring PG's while a wing player carries the rock.

All of the big man prospects look flawed as hell to me.

#321 sealclubber1016, May 13, 2024
    Last edited: May 13, 2024
    subtomic, Commodore and clutchdabear like this.
  2. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i agree. we lucked into this pick and taking dillingham looks to be the best move so we can trade Fred. Reed isn't a true point and can't run the pick and roll. We can just stash rob and let him learn a year under fred before he's traded.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Clingan is one massive human being.

I have no interest in Dillingham, he is going to be an empty stats guy in the NBA.

No Worries and clutchdabear like this.
  4. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Jalen is not bad at defense, hes just skinny for his size and can be pushed around at times..I agree, effort over athleticism, but if you look at Reeds games, there were plenty of instances where is comes out soft or at least timid when guarding his man inside the paint ...

5. bmelo

bmelo Member

take Sarr or Clinigan. Yes I didn't watch one game of either of them :D but either draft size or trade for it

6. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Generally speaking, these trades don’t end up netting much of consequence. When a team trades for a star, that star makes the team giving up picks better, thus pushing the picks further back in the draft. We got lucky with the Nets picks because they were unprotected and their Big 3 came crumbling down within a year.

If they were able to convert the Young trade and sign or trade for (a new wrinkle in the CBA) a decent player with the MLE, the value of the remaining picks owed to us likely plummets. We may end up wishing we had already cashed them in.

The framework of trades I usually keep in my head on these deals is that you can pencil in a FRP for any years remaining on the contract. The longer they wait, the smaller the return gets. I agree that the window is probably closed on them getting three picks for Bridges.

Mathloom likes this.
  7. Salvy

Salvy Member

Draft C.J Stroud with the 3rd pick if he is still available....

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. j@amc

j@amc Member

FWIW, here are the measurements: Rob Dillingham 6’1” (w/o shoes) 164.2 lbs 6'3" wingspan

BigMaloe likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's early but I'm good with several different picks as of now.

10. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

Just draft the Reed Sheppard and get a quality shooter. Address things one at a time. Keep taking swings. I love our core but nothing is proven yet. Sengun could very well have a disappointing season next year where his defense drops and the three % doesn't increase. Jalen Green based on previous seasons could easily have a lukewarm season until the all star break. Jabari and Tari are awesome but neither seem to have the superstardom ceiling. Amen's shooting will take time and Cam is still only 20. We're not as close as people think. Ime did a great job building a culture and FVV/Brooks did their part. Next year, we gotta make noise. We gotta be a tough out in the playoffs. Stay the course

IvanLCPM, joshuaao, cmlmel77 and 2 others like this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Bronny: 6’1.5 | 8’2.5 standing reach | 6’7.25 wingspan

cdastros likes this.
  12. cdastros

cdastros Member

rfrocket, BigMaloe, Aruba77 and 2 others like this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I don’t get the bridges love at all

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Stone has a great track record of drafting, and productive players on rookie deals are the best asset to have.

Why trade the pick for an expensive player?

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I don't feel strongly about any particular prospect, but we clearly need shooting. I'd be perfectly fine with any of Risacher, Sheppard, or Dillingham. Knecht to me is like a 6'6" version of MPJ: a strong athlete and finisher that can shoot from all over the floor, but has average ballhandling and defense, and poor playmaking. Being 6'10" gives MPJ a huge size advantage to rise up over his defenders which Knecht won't have. And we already have the more athletic, younger version of that archetype in Whitmore. All of the others are non-shooters that don't flash a ton of upside except for Topic.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Knecht:
    6’5.25 (without shoes)
    8’7.50 standing reach
    6’9 wingspan

Sheppard:
    6’1.75 (without shoes)
    7’9.50 standing reach
    6’3.25 wingspan

Y2JT, BigMaloe and Rudyc281 like this.
  20. Commodore