1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This is the MOST logical....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, May 13, 2024.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

What do the Rockets need most...Shooting and size!

With the #3 pick in hand, its been discussed that they can go one of three ways; trade it, draft a shooter or draft a big.

I think the easiest way to get to a conclusion on which way to go, is to ask yourself, which one is harder to get? And obviously, its SIZE. Its hard to get a good center. There are three in this draft; Sarr, Clingen and Ware. However after looking at the 2025 Mock Drafts, in which there do not seem to be any good centers in the Top 10, I think the Rockets need to draft a center this yr!

Sarr - would be the perfect fit next to Sengun and Jabari. Good defender, lob threat, and he would bring athleticism to the frontcourt.

Clingen - would be the perfect fit next to Jabari. He would take up space, block shots and he's a good passer.

Ware - would be the perfect fit next to Sengun and Jabari but he will need more to develop. Has a fairly good shot, good around the rim, good athlete but not great.

I think you can get shooting in FA or via trade.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

2nd MOST

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  3. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Clearly your opinion is the most logical and therefore the most worthy of a separate thread while the rest of us spend time among the dozen threads already existing.

4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Has anyone else mentioned the 2025 Draft's lack of good centers?

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Most of them posted by him, because he is utterly obsessed with big men... almost like a fetish at this point or something

6. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Yes. Regardless, every “new” observation does not deserve a new thread. Do you think everyone else responding to the main draft threads do not think they are adding something new? If they all believe that, and all start new threads for their fresh observation, how could we possibly have a conversation?

I’m really not trying to be a dick, but it is absolutely impossible to have a good message board if everyone just starts a thread every time they believe they have a new point to add.

duluth111222, roslolian and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Reed most logical fit

Topic / Dillingham 2nd or 3rd most logical

I can see the fit for Ware, Flipowski, Williams, Holmes, Carter, Kolek, Chomche in trade downs

We have long term young talent at every position but PG. Sorry I’m not sold on Amen “Honey I shrunk Capela” Thompson running the point long term, terrific non shooting forward though.

If the argument is fit, it’s not Clingan (unless we’re trading our current best young player in Sengun, and praying Amen develops a 3PT shot), if the argument is upside it’s not Clingan either, that player build isn’t a #1 option.

Upside I can see the arguments for Topic/Dillingham, perhaps Matas, Williams.

Fit is 100% Sheppard

Clingan would be fun to have but I wouldn’t get it at #3

Sooty and jcmoon like this.
  8. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

The idea of drafting a center is completely insane to me, unless you are trading Sengun (which would be insane). I don’t watch college basketball so I could be wrong but are any of these guys elite shooters? The Minnesota model somewhat works (they aren’t a great offense though) because towns is a GOAT level shooter who can’t be left open. Playing sengun with another center is complete lunacy

HD729 and topfive like this.
  9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Folks keep bringing up Ware. If you are just looking at the stats (like I was a couple months ago) he looks good. But when you really dig into the research, theres a reason he hasn’t cracked anything close to the lottery on most credible big boards…he’s soft. He shy away from contact. He was abused by all of the decent big men he faced in college. He only really produced against bad competition. Sure the size and shooting is enticing, but a big with poor physicality and poor motor = late 1st/2nd round…or not at all. We don’t need another Christian Wood.

RocketOrg likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Center is where the best player on the roster plays.... you'd have to think the pick is a perennial all star quality player to make that pick because the most likely outcome is that pick making your team worse overall.

11. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Why do people keep saying we need "size?" We're already bigger than most teams in the playoffs at the moment.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. topfive

topfive CF OG

The best thing about your threads is...

13. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I am not sure we need size. At center we have Sengun (who at best is a little undersized, he is not small) and Adams. At PF starting with Jabari who as excellent size. Eason has good adqueate size for a PF and excellent size for a SF. Brooks and Green are about average for their position. Amen has great size for a guard or good size for a forward. Really only FVV is truly undersized.

What do we need? Nothing in particular. Yeah, shooting would help, but really our guys need to be more consistent with their shot, especially Green, Jabari and Sengun. We dont "need" a PG (we have FVV and Amen), we don't "need" a SG (we have Green and Cam), we don't "need" a SF (we have Brooks and Eason), we don't "need" a PF (we have Jabari and Eason/Green) and we don't need a C (we have Sengun and Adams).

What we need is a star. So let's just take the one with the highest upside.I don't care what position he plays or what his strengths are - I want someone who we believe could be a franchise cornerstone. If we swing and miss, well so be it. But I don't want to draft for need.

duluth111222, anchel and saleem like this.
  14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Best post in this thread. Unfortunately, the chances of that in this weak draft are quite low. Nevertheless, high risk and high reward is what the Rockets need. A player like that could be included in a trade package as well.

15. Rokman

Rokman Member

Good post BUT Adams is short term and is expiring. He's not here long-term. Green is 3 years in and still has nearly all the same question marks as he did his rookie season. Rockets depth is undersized in the paint. Rockets shooting is subpar. They need to get an answer for both this off-season to become contenders next season and beyond.

#15 Rokman, May 13, 2024
    Last edited: May 13, 2024
  16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Didn't read.

Sheppard.

17. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Reading is fundamental. You love those short guys don't you?

18. anchel

anchel Member

You don't draft for need, specially at a top 3 pick.
    Plus, rookies generally don't help you at winning.

saleem likes this.