1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

20.2%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

8.2%
  3. Stephon Castle

0.8%
  4. Donovan Clingan

9.9%
  5. Zach Edey

3.0%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.5%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.9%
  8. Reed Sheppard

40.7%
  9. Nikola Topić

9.3%
  10. Dalton Knecht

0.6%
  1. OremLK

OremLK Member

Topic doesn't seem to play all that tall. Dragic is a guy he definitely reminds me of. Is he as athletic though? Goran was actually a pretty athletic dude.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, but compare the two shots, Sengun takes super slow, a bit awkward shots, Topic has a much more smooth shot.

Could it still be a problem? Sure, if he has a Jalen Green work ethic, but I don't think it's likely to be a long term problem.

Sittonsideways likes this.
  3. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

We need a shooter, Reed is that, I am just worried a bit as he sometimes looks soft finishing. He pretty much looks like Stockton and Stockton was at times soft. Also, these are not the 90s, the game is much quicker, players are more athletic. Saar would be great but probably gone by the time we pick. I trust Stone to make the right decision who ever it is.

4. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think they’ve got one bullet left to spend. That is Simmons and all of the Suns picks for Trae Young. I don’t think it’s a championship team, but they will be formidable and it will appease the fanbase. If they fail to get that done, I think they will see the writing on the wall.

NewAge and Mathloom like this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd say Topic doesn't play athletic. On his passes, he just can make some that shorter (arms and legs) players can't do. He's not making a ton from outside, but it does take a better closeout to deny him the attempt...if one wants to deny the attempt.

OremLK likes this.
  7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Rockets do have more young players than minutes. It would be tough to see the Rockets draft another wing player, with JG4, Cam, Tari, and Amen on the roster.

This draft also appears to not have the tiers of past drafts, so a lot of the top-of-the-draft players have very similar grades, making BPA very much "in the eye of the beholder".

Easy likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Does Tari exist?

Should Jalen be getting minutes?

I'd argue these answers are at best unclear.

9. cdastros

cdastros Member

10. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I like the pedigree of Kentucky guards. They've had a lot of success in the NBA. I think Shephard would fit like a glove on this roster to play off Jalen, Amen, and Sengun.

11. invocux

invocux Member

Rob or Topic?

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

We fans can argue that one ... but ... Ime thinks JG4 deserves minutes.

IMO Cam is a better shooter ... at the shooting guard spot ... but ... what do I know. Cam is also a stronger finisher.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think that would be a really stupid move on their part, but I can see Marks swinging for the fences. If you're a 4-5 seed in BKN then you're going to be making a lot of money as an owner. On the other hand, the owner has shown an extreme willingness to go for a title and he's not even willing to tank. I'm not sure this team will satisfy him:

Claxton
    DFS
    Bridges
    Johnson
    Young

I don't think there's a good enough 2nd scorer on that roster. I bet they'd have to cough up Cam Thomas too because the Suns picks are not that valuable. Suns just hired a new great coach so no matter what happens they're rolling with this roster for 2-3 more years of 40-60 wins. I'm pretty sure the Hawks will get better picks than that for Trae - I feel like the Spurs, Magic, Pistons, Pelicans and maybe the Sixers would happily match/beat that offer.

I don't think Bridges is ever going to get them 3 good picks but we'll see I guess.

#313 Mathloom, May 13, 2024
    Last edited: May 13, 2024
    theDude and jcmoon like this.
  14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If one is thinking down the road, FVV maybe gone after this coming season and Adams after the next. So if we keep the #3 pick, I would like to see it be a big or a PG.

In either case, said player needs to have shooting range. While minutes may be scarce right now, it will take a couple years for said #3 pick to get up to speed, so the case for keeping this pick can be made.

No Worries and jcmoon like this.
  15. NewAge

NewAge Member

regarding Topic: A Yugo who can’t shoot is a big red flag for me. Knowing how much that is drilled from young age, and knowing that they know this gets them their ticket, I’d be weary. If you come out of there and you can’t shoot, you’re likely a flop like Bostjan…

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Topic - a tall Euro PG - who can shoot.....tired of AAU Americans who can't shoot..

Shepherd would be ok too, but I like Topic over him.

DD

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

#317 J.R., May 13, 2024
    Last edited: May 13, 2024
    BigMaloe, subtomic and Mathloom like this.
  18. NewAge

NewAge Member

But can he?

19. MystikArkitect

Dillingham makes James Harden look like an All NBA Defender. He's Darius Garland sized but plays like Jalen Green. Absolutely no to this.

Y2JT, joshuaao, OremLK and 1 other person like this.
  20. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

Yes, the game is quicker and players are more athletic now when compared to the 90s. But the game is also a lot more open, with more spacing and no hand-checking. Players like Stockton, Mark Price, Steve Nash would be feasting in today's NBA - small, heady PGs with good/elite shooting, and in the case of Stockton, an absolute ******* on defense.

Some seem to worry that Sheppard is too small or unathletic to play NBA defense. The biggest part of playing good defense is giving good effort, having good anticipation, being a good communicator, and just generally having good IQ. You can be ultra athletic and quick and still be an absolute dunce on defense (just look at Jalen Green). Everything that we've seen from Sheppard at the collegiate level shows that he does not lack for effort, and that he also has good anticipation (high steals and blocks rate). Personally prefer him over his teammate Dillingham - Dillingham will be much more difficult to hide on the defensive end bc of how small and slight his frame is.

Little Bit, Corrosion, KDavis and 2 others like this.