1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I am comparing analog vs digital I/O. Yes, digital is more efficient. The two scroll wheels on the steering wheel cover about 90% of my day to day use. Another 5% is covered through voice commands.

Most of the buttons rarely get used. Bury those in a screen. Buttons don't represent status anymore. It's a massive clutter of **** now.

Sajan likes this.
  2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I'm not a technology dinosaur. The reason buttons and stalks and everything is replaced by screens is
    consumer demand is for huge screens
    Once you have the huge screen with custom HMI, cost cutting buttons, wiring, bezels out of the control stack saves massive money

Anything not in the infotainment HMI will be an additional cost/complexity and it's exclusion will only be from consumer pushback.

3. Sajan

Sajan Member

Agreed.

I think the anti screen button lovers vs. ALL SCREEN crowd needs to find the middle ground.
    Cars are getting more tech and more customizable. You can't turn it into a 737 cockpit.

Essential controls need to be buttons/physical..things I want to use when driving 70mph. temperature, volume, signals/lights etc...
    rest I can mess with on the screen at a safer speed/stopped.

So somewhere between what Tesla is doing and a 737 cockpit.

BMW, I think, has had a good blend of buttons/screens.

This is my 20 year old camry. Love the simplicity of it.
    3 ac knobs. and a radio..

[​IMG]

The iX..

[​IMG]

and button galore in the Porsche..
    which you do need!
    turning on sport mode/traction off/sport exhaust all are driving related tasks...wouldn't want that on a menu on a sports car..

[​IMG]

AroundTheWorld and Space Ghost like this.
  4. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is a huge functional difference between physical buttons in a car or on a phone.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I have both a Tesla and a Porsche. The Porsche has more buttons. It takes a bit of getting used to, but I'm fine with either.

Sajan likes this.
  6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The all screen crowd are the manufactures as a huge cost savings. When I have to adjust my seat three levels deep in the screen HMI, I'm out.

I drove a 2024 X5 with that infotainment last weekend and it was very nice.

Ubiquitin and Sajan like this.
  7. Sajan

Sajan Member

On my 3rd BMW over the last 10 years and I never felt like BMW was overly buttons or overly screen..

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It feels like we've already solved this non-problem.

Cars have had physical buttons for the most critical functions (frequency of use, quality of life, etc) forever.

I remember how Honda took away the volume knob on their most popular models in the mid-2010s and people were pissed.

Some engineer thought some touch-capacitive control slider on the steering wheel/info screen was going to impress people, when it reality it just turned a basic function into a huge pain in the ass.

Over-engineering is rampant in the automotive industry. Keep it simple, stupid.

[​IMG]

Ubiquitin and FrontRunner like this.
  9. Sajan

Sajan Member

Yup, honda brought back the buttons.
    VW went well retar* and put touch buttons on steering wheels.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/volkswagen-relents-and-brings-us-our-buttons.html

Ubiquitin likes this.
  10. Space Ghost

I feel like the lack of engineering and innovation is the problem. The bulk of vehicles are designed for style and status with very little customization. Technology is rapidly outpacing status.
    If someone wants a bunch of buttons, buy an aftermarket button array and sync it to the CPU. A radio chip allows a person to manage their vehicle from an app remotely. This is no longer a function to be found on a 100k+ vehicle. Time to completely dump the CAN bus for a real CPU. Just like how USB obsoleted serial ports.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

*shrug* .... maybe got bored .... maybe another user id.... who knows.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. Sajan

Sajan Member

Waiting for @Space Ghost and @CXbby to justify this..

YES YES. WE KNEW THAT. MASTER PLAN.

SamFisher likes this.
  15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Musk needs his ass kicked for his own good

Sajan likes this.
  16. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are there any EV models with the basics of a golf cart?

I think the excessive number of screens is unnecessary. The BYD Seagull has a minimalistic interior I'd like to see American manufacturers make.

[​IMG]

17. Space Ghost

Musk pretty much all but said what happened. He said to remove all nonessential employees. He said they could keep a useless pet employee or two but the rest had to go. She defied. He removed the team completely.

Much of corporate America does the same, but much slower and a different manner. Move underperforming employees to fringe projects. Then cut the whole project. Musk just cuts everything and rebuilds. It's just how he does it. Works for him I guess. Nothing big brained about it.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. Sajan

Sajan Member

Or.

Man child throws sissy fit and fires everyone.
    Realizes he's caused a PR mess because the faithful are wondering what's the future state of their purchases/charging is. After all, superchargers are one of the biggest reasons one would go with a tesla over another brand...
    Back tracks a bit and says OH OF COURSE WE ARE STILL EXPANDING.
    Tesla PR puts out tweet saying we love our supplies. everything is okay!
    Realizes he has to hire people back.
    Loses more credibility and likeability in the press/media.

But we will go with your explanation of "master plan".

19. Space Ghost

We are loosely saying the same thing. You could run what I said through chatgpt and ask it to spit out a sarcastic and belittling interpretation and it would come up with what you said.

The difference is I explicitly stated there is nothing big brained about it while you keep carrying on something about a master plan. I don't understand that comment at all. What is the master plan you are allegedly keep hearing about?

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Most ev’s I see under, say, $50k or so look like they have golf cart interiors. They seem overpriced for what you get. Then you have the ones with nice interiors and they’re ridiculously overpriced to me. If you want minimalistic interiors, there’s the Model 3 or Ford’s Mach-E, I guess.

ryan_98 likes this.