1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 NBA Draft Lottery

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 11, 2024.

1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Counterpoint: None of those guys are 7’3 with a 7’7 wingspan.

2. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure yet - need to watch more videos. It will likely be one of Sarr, Risacher, Sheppard, or Williams. Every one has flaws, but I like these 4 the most right now. I'll reach for 3/D players or post players than can switch. They can fit any team. Sarr and Risacher will likely be top 2, so we may have to reach for Sheppard.

Sarr - Elite 4/5 that can switch, but not sure about his shooting. Also raw offensive game.

Risacher - Potential 3/D+ player. Defense is there, but not sure how much he can create on offense. Shot well early on, but last 10 or so games show low 20% from 3 point line that's shorter than the NBA's.

Sheppard - Elite 3/D player at PG/SG position. Very high floor (Donte Divincenzo?) and almost a lock to be a good 3 point shooter. Defense was elite in college, but due to lack of size, may not translate that well. Can play with Sengun/Amen and is a great fit for us. We may have to reach for him unfortunately. He may be a mid lottery pick any other year, but his game is rare enough that I don't mind reaching.

Williams - Potential 3/D+ player at ideal size. Can be very good defender. Shot well in college, but only attempted 1.7 3s per game and shot 71% on FTs. Did not shoot well at times in high school and only shot 20% at Nike EYBLs, so I'm not sure how his game would translate. He also can't create on offense currently, so another area for improvement. Basically he's a raw prospect, but has really good potential.

slothy420, zeeshan2, Nook and 6 others like this.
  3. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not comparing these 2 as Clingan is obviously miles better, but Hasheem Thabeet ironically was also 7'3 w/ a 7'7 wingspan and played for UConn.

Do you think Clingan will be better than Allen, Kessler, or Claxton?

13 in 33 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  4. Mattician

Mattician Member

Man out of all the years to get lucky it had to be this one.

Had the best chances for the #1 pick in the last 3 drafts and didn't get the 1st pick in any of them.

zeeshan2 and KelvinCato13 like this.
  5. Houston77

Supporting Member

I do think he’ll be better than them. I’m quite high on Clingan in a vacuum.

6. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

With the number 3 pick the Houston rockets choose ‘the Japanese Steph Curry’ Keisei Tominaga.

The closest thing we can get to drafting Steph Curry. :p

BigShasta likes this.
  7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I stand corrected. Thanks for finding all that. I swear I’ve read it before somewhere but clearly I was wrong.

Tuckmose and AroundTheWorld like this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Overall pleased with #3 given our big turnaround last year. It’s capital to either develop another player or bait for a trade package.

I don’t believe anything about the NBA is random.

They really do- Detroit is a terrible market.

Know what isn’t a terrible market? Austin-San Antonio, which is growing like crazy. And getting Wemby last year wasn’t enough to fast track the Spurs to contention again so the NBA threw them the number 4 pick.

At least we’re in front of them this year.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

11. j@amc

j@amc Member

I vote we change the home page photo to be smiling lme after learning we are picking 3rd.

HD729, Aruba77 and raining threes like this.
  12. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Me either but he seems to shrink in the clutch. Wouldn’t want him as a main option

Plowman likes this.
  13. raining threes

Looked like he could switch pretty well in the Final 4.

Nook likes this.
  14. albuster

albuster Member

Exactly. This is the most important player that is needed for the Rockets. The shooter would be preferably a SG but not necessary.

PWR likes this.
  15. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I think Sheppard is the only one of those three who will likely be there, and my guess is you can get him later. We'll see...

16. Houston77

Supporting Member

Topic will likely be there as well.

17. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Part of it depends on how they want to play out Amen’s development. Sheppard is an interesting piece who has already shown he can be an off ball shooter at an elite level. He really does seem to be an FVV type, maybe with some upside to be more efficient.

Topic’s highlights look good — I get the Dragic/Manu comparisons. I’m curious how his shooting looks, because that seems to be a question mark — and that would make for a tough fit next to Amen.

18. Nook

Nook Member

I’ll have to think about this and break down more tape but my initial reaction is that you are under estimating Clingan’s ability to play the PNR defensively and also switch.

His shot is promising but I don’t think he will ever be a major scorer.

yixiixiy likes this.
  19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I was looking at last year mock draft from the experts and about half were flat out wrong.

20. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

Assuming Alex Sarr and Zaccharie Risacher are gone, I'd go for Nikola Topić or Matas Buzelis.
    Size and shot.