1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

20.2%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

8.2%
  3. Stephon Castle

0.8%
  4. Donovan Clingan

9.9%
  5. Zach Edey

3.0%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.5%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.9%
  8. Reed Sheppard

40.7%
  9. Nikola Topić

9.3%
  10. Dalton Knecht

0.6%
  1. Asian Sensation

I wanna like Reed and say he fits what we need. I can’t shake the Bryce Drew vibes though.

2. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Don’t overthink it

3. Risingred

Risingred Member

I still have concerns on Reed. WIth FVV and Reed on the floor we will get abused by the opposing guards every single game. His shooing is very intrigue though. I'm unsure if we should take him this high. I'd be more comfortable to take him at 7 or 8.

Amel, roslolian and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

LOL at 1st minute. ALL Clingan misses

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Sheppard. He immediately gets minutes as Fred's backup and likely becomes his eventual replacement.

PG: VanVleet / Sheppard
    SG: Green / Whitmore
    SF: Brooks / Thompson
    PF: Smith / Eason
    C: Sengun / Adams

6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I love Reed Sheppard and would love to have a Run & Gun offense with him at the helm. Think Steve Nash on the 2004-2005 Suns.... but we'd have to move on from FVV and probably Alpi... which I don't see those massive changes being made to accommodate a rookie's style.

BUT... Sheppard shot 52% from 3-point land as a freshman in the SEC. Great at steals and a professional demeanor on the court -- sky high basketball IQ already. Is he the next Steve Nash or Steph Curry... or Jimmer Fredette? With his defense and court vision, I see a much higher floor than Jimmer. Ceiling is the unknown... Sheppard would be a marketing boom for Tilman -- worth noting.

r-fan-since-81, joshuaao and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. Salvy

Salvy Member

Trade the pick to Denver for the rights to have Severo Y Grupo Fuego on noche latina....

ThatBoyNick, cheke64 and robbie380 like this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't see that at all...I see him as a perfect understudy to FVV for a year or two and as a perfect complement to Alpi.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Just looked up Jeff Sheppard - weird, I thought he played in the NBA for a few years, but just had a few games in only one season.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Regarding Sheppard, if there's no sure thing at #3, why not draft for need & fit? VanVleet had a plus/minus of +184 this year. The next closest starter was Sengun at +49. VanVleet is also the oldest starter by far, the smallest guy on the team, the guy who played the most minutes, and the player with the biggest cap hold. If you like Topic or Dillingham better then we can have the discussion. But this team's greatest need after shooting is another point guard, and Sheppard fills both of those needs.

11. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

You know, Reed + Amen would work in tandem very well- they could make up for each other's weaknesses.

12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Who realistically can get minutes from the existing lineup? With Adams you've got the center minutes covered, With Tari coming back you've got the 3D covered. I don't know where but Amon needs to be on the floor for substantial time.

Maybe a corner shooting power Forward to play behind Bari. Maybe somebody that comes in with the second unit and stands over in the corner with a high 3-point percentage?

I kind of see it as a Euro stash, hold out tell Fred or Dillon move on. Or probably ideally trade it for a future probable lottery pick, but it sounds like in a weak draft we're not going to get much value.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  13. raining threes

I voted trade the pick. Didn't watch much basketball this year. But if I had to pick a player Clingnan was the best guy I saw this year. I'm not familiar with any of the foreign players. If somebody wants to educate me I'm listening. Example: I noticed Sarr wasn't on the list, is a consensus first or second pick?

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

You are right that's why I want Cody Williams or Risacher. They are the right height to be plus defenders and good shooters. Cody Williams is already a good defender. Being 6'8-6'10 they have the height to elevate the past the defender and have a clear shot at the basket.

Reed Shepherd is 6'2 bro. If you looked at our games Vs Minny and thought FVV was too small not sure why you want to waste the 3rd pick on another version of him.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Don't worry bro we'll revisit this next year.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Isn’t the knock on Jalen the same as Reed?

Both undersized and short wingspan?

roslolian likes this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Jalen is 6'4 he isn't undersized. Reed is 6'2 he is Def on the small side.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

trade that puppy! make it the centerpiece to whatever poopoo platter can get us the biggest name to get got!

Just like a new car... draft picks lose value the minute you drive em off the lot...

we got our youngsters with upside...

we got a couple solid vets...

we got a coach with nuts...

go get the talent that's gonna put us over the top, Stone!

...and better not be any of that future draft pick bs!

raining threes likes this.
  19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Jalen is small for a SG

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Amen is our future point guard. Sheppard isn't a primary Pg, he is more of a connective passer and off the ball scorer. Their primary Pg was Rob D.

FVV is amazing and he is only 29. Not sure what Sheppard does over him. If Sheppard was there at 9 or 10th I'd be more ok using the pick on him.

3rd pick should be used for someone with star upside. Cody Williams, Risacher, Rob Dillingham, Stephen Castle, Matas Buzelis etc Get someone with height and length for the position instead of someone undersized and unathletic.

#200 roslolian, May 12, 2024
    Last edited: May 12, 2024
    jcmoon and conquistador#11 like this.