1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No more NBA on TNT?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets34Legend, Nov 16, 2022.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/5478528/2024/05/08/nba-tnt-nbc-tv-deal-david-zaslav/

Any deal for TNT or NBC is expected to include a conference final every other year, as opposed to TNT’s current setup of every season. Either network is anticipated to hold onto the yearly All-Star Game broadcast.

As reported by the Wall Street Journal and confirmed by The Athletic, ESPN will pay $2.6 billion each season for the NBA Finals and conference finals, while Amazon Prime Video will receive a conference final every other year and is expected to be in the $1.8 billion-per-year range.

Meanwhile, NBC is sitting there, aggressively going after Zaslav’s deal. It is a multi-faceted corporate move by Comcast-owned NBC that would reunite the league with its Michael Jordan-era partner and “Roundball Rock” theme song and comes with an already set one-two play-by-play punch of Mike Tirico and Noah Eagle.

While cable may be dwindling, Comcast is still in the business. If Zaslav and TNT Sports no longer air NBA games, Comcast could conceivably attempt to drop the price of its roughly $3 per month fee on subscribers. It could add up to millions in savings for Comcast.

Meanwhile, NBC is offering to put games on its broadcast network, where they could fit snugly after “Sunday Night Football” ends in early January. NBC also wants the NBA to prop up its subscription streamer, Peacock. And, although not the incumbent, the NBA may prefer NBC as its teammate for this package.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The NBA Presented to U by Peacock.....

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Using the NBA package to drive Peacock adoption would be like pumping oxygen into the lungs of a dead person.
    Peacock has to merge with a more successful streaming service to ever become relevant. It's hopeless as a standalone.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

(I subscribe to watch EPL games)

DaDakota likes this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

DItto.....

DD

MadMax likes this.
  6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

How else would I watch my beloved and repeatedly nearly relegated Everton? lol

7. opticon

opticon Member

My wife makes me get Peacock so she can watch Deal or No Deal Island (Yes that is a real show name). The upside is I get to watch WWE premium live events. Not gonna lie getting to watch Cody Rhodes win the title live was pretty cool.

8. JW86

JW86 Member

NBC would be amazing, Amazon Prime however is just stupid. What kind of broadcast should we expect from that?!

ESPN already securing rights is the biggest downer, at least allow NBC or another network to get the Finals Silver! ESPN’s coverage is just a total **** show.

TNT and NBC again would’ve been the dream, but Disney has Silver in his pocket.

#108 JW86, May 8, 2024
    Last edited: May 8, 2024
  9. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

My sister subscribes to watch the Bravo reality tv shows. :D

10. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

This makes sense I think. Let’s see what happens.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

NBC Closing In On NBA Package At $2.5B Per Year Unless TNT Increases Offer To $2.8B

Comcast’s NBCUniversal is closing in on securing the third NBA package and likely unveil a “Basketball Night in America" telecast with its annual bid of $2.5 billion per year, sources tell Sports Business Journal.

Sources say Warner Bros. Discovery, parent company of TNT, would have to increase its bid to as much as $2.8 billion per season to retain rights unless they attempt to settle the matter with litigation.

WBD exited its exclusive negotiating window with the NBA with the expectation they could match any bid from a rival company on a dollar-for-dollar basis.

Sources reiterated Wednesday that the NBA believes a dollar-for-dollar match is not enough because NBC is an over-the-air network with multiple broadcast windows and an RSN infrastructure that WBD cannot replicate.

“NBC has made their bid, and they're not budging,’’ a media industry source said. “So it's over, right? And Warner Bros. is saying, ‘We'll match it,’ and (Commissioner Adam Silver) is probably saying: ‘It's not matched.’ ’’

Sources say Adam Silver is trying to figure out a way to sever the relationship with TNT in a "gentle way."

“There's no mystery to this," the source said. “It's pretty blatant what's happening. David Zaslav realizes he has to have this and doesn't want to pay more than $2.5B. And Adam's saying, honestly, it's not matched at $2.5. And [Zaslav] goes, ‘Yes, it is,’ and they're going back and forth.’ And so that's where we are. How do you let [WBD] down? Is there a way? Or does Zaslav come up with more money? Because then it doesn't have to be matching because David's paid more.

“And that's where we are. Adam's trying to be nice to David right now until David backs off his dogs. He’s trying to help David save face.’’

NBC’s package is expected to include Sunday Night games following the NFL season, while perhaps taking over ESPN’s Friday night slate and TNT’s second-round playoff and conference final package. Amazon would likely have one weekday night (Tuesday or Thursday) and Saturday nights, as well as the Play-in tournament, the In-Season Tournament, first-round playoff games and likely some international rights.

ESPN will continue to be the exclusive home of The Finals.

“ESPN did not want to alternate the finals, which I think Adam wanted to do,’’ a source said. “Adam wanted to make a package for NBC and alternate the finals with ESPN. ESPN fought it, fought, fought it, and finally said fine, ‘We'll pay the $2.6B, but no alternating the finals.’ And WB thought the league would never get that [$2.5] price from NBC. They said, ‘Sure, go shopping.’ They shopped it, they got the price. And now David Zaslav goes, ‘We’re screwed.’’’

Reeko likes this.
  12. StroudAndYorDaddy

so glad NBA on TNT is burning to the ground

show aint been the same since Shaq got hired, and now they are doubling down trying to make Draymond Green the replacement for Barkley ( yuck)

good riddance

Tuckmose, Richie_Rich, TAB and 5 others like this.
  13. JW86

JW86 Member

If this true, respect for Silver went up a few points. Giving a FU to Warner-Bros is awesome and wanting NBC to get the finals a great sign. Guess ESPN just has too much power for Silver to kick out. I still don’t think NBC will secure the rights though. Btw, what happened to the days where it was 3 major networks?

StroudAndYorDaddy likes this.
  14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

How are the able to get so much money with ratings being pretty terrible. I mean ncaa women games beat the finals. I don't see Jokic, Luka, or Giannis bringing in viewers.

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I imagine maybe the corporate sponsorships and companies that buy commercial space for several games? Just a guess.

Man, players salaries are going to go up so much more these next few years.

16. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is this a serious question?

17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Live sports are the only thing that still pulls a nationwide audience at a set time. That's gotta be a valuable commodity for advertisers even if ratings are down.

DreamShook likes this.
  18. StroudAndYorDaddy

shaq destroyed inside the nba. when he started bullying nba all stars unprovoked i knew they were on the clock. that team durant vs team lebron all star selection was a disgrace. choosing a clown in draymond green as a potential barkley successor was just the icing on the cake on over a decade of bad decisions. the show was fine with the original 3

bring on the nba on nbc

Richie_Rich likes this.
  19. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

It’s been 87 years.

20. StroudAndYorDaddy

quotes like this by donkey green is why im overjoyed that tnt and turner covering the nba is finally HISTORY.. how on earth is talking down the likes of jokic, and gobert your current mvp and dpoy on a live broadcast a good idea for marketing your league.. and prior to gobert it was shaq bullying dwight howard, and then after that was james harden. My thing is if you wanna take it there and bully the superstar level players.. then stop picking favorites and go at everybody or stfu you oversensitive pricks. Now i see why kobe used to make his ****** cry when he used to fat shame him.. rip mamba.. the game aint been the same since you been gone