1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

20.0%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

8.5%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.3%
  4. Donovan Clingan

8.9%
  5. Zach Edey

3.0%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.4%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.8%
  8. Reed Sheppard

40.9%
  9. Nikola Topić

9.3%
  10. Dalton Knecht

0.9%
  1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I was responding to a poster who brought up Curry, you ignoramus. And even if I hadn’t, it’s perfectly valid to look at Curry’s stats in college to see how they compare to Sheppard’s. I swear, the dumbest people are the ones who can’t understand that you review superstars’ pasts to look for superstar traits, NOT to compare a prospect to a superstar.

2. gdinamite

gdinamite Member

Zac Risacher ou Nikola Topic.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

41% from 3 in college is not a superstar trait so if you were doing that you wouldn't have mentioned Curry. The other person mentioned Curry to show why you shouldn't compared Shepard to Curry.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

And waste his development? Reed Shepherd is one of the more win now ready players in the top 10. Hell probably naturally get more minutes on a team as a rookie than someone with a higher ceiling than him like a Ron Holland.

If we draft a high ceiling lower floor guy he's not gonna get much in minutes. This team is in it to win it from here on. There won't be minutes to just develop rookies any more. If you are a rookie from here on with this team you have to contribute to winning or you ain't playing much outside garbage time.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Injuries happen, contract may not be resigned. We don't know what the future holds. If you get a high ceiling guy he can just develop in GLeague till you need him. Look at what GLeague did for Amen and Cam.

Sure Shepherd will get mins over Holland. You know who will also get minutes? Aaron Holiday and Reggie Bullocks. In two or 3 yrs though Shepherd can just be Christian Braun while Holland could be our new JG.

6. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

I hear what you are saying. But Sheppard at 3 I feel is a bit too high. There’s a reason he’s not in the top 3 of previous mock drafts, as far as I know. If we really like him, I’d rather we trade down.

As far as playing time goes, isn’t Sheppard himself a rookie that will take minutes away from the young guys we already have? So what’s the difference?

fchowd0311 likes this.
  7. PWR

PWR Member

I would be fine with any of these 6...

Reed Sheppard (52% from 3; 103 def rating)
    Dalton Knecht (40% from 3; 100 def rating)
    Jared McCain (41% from 3; 101 def rating)
    Tristan Da Silva (40% from 3; 104 def rating)
    Rob Dillingham (44% from 3; 110 def rating)
    Mark Sears (44% from 3; 112 def rating)

If you can't shoot, we don't need to be wasting time on you.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

9. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

You know what? I’m doubling down just to piss you off.

Reed Sheppard as a freshman:
    54% FG
    52% 3PT FG
    70% TS

Steph Curry as a junior:
    45% FG
    39% 3PT FG
    60% TS

TheJet, Y2JT, YaoMac09 and 5 others like this.
  10. CXbby

CXbby Member

lol @ jj reddick, some of these comps are down right racist. I’m not going to call Sheppard a lockdown defender because his foot speed is indeed questionable, but he makes up for it with perhaps the best hands since Gary Payton. lol jj reddick, yes they are both white and can shoot but it stops at that. Jj was a movement shooting sg, Sheppard can run your offense.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

Reed is one of those guys where getting him at #9 in a bad draft class would have been a great value and a great fit. At #3, it does feel to me like a bit of a reach. I've seen conflicting opinions on his defense and athleticism from different scouts. He seems like a guy where any perception of star upside is very reliant on his shooting not just being great, but being phenomenal in an NBA context.

I think he is such a nice fit on this roster, and this draft is so bad, that I don't mind it too much. (I don't see anybody here where I have even 5% confidence he becomes a #1 option.)

But I do see a little more upside with Risacher, or if Sarr somehow drops.

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

That's why I'm suggesting we trade back. First draft where everyone is tied.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This is pretty accurate.

OremLK likes this.
  14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Trading back might make sense but I wonder if other teams might be thinking the same thing and there's very little value to be had by doing so? If we could get a future first to move back and give, say, San Antonio Topic, I would do so. I wonder if we can, though.

Trading the pick away outright might make more sense, but you start to run into questions about what you can get back. I wish there was a young star player demanding a trade right now. This would be a great time to push the chips in for one. But I don't see it even when I squint.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  15. OremLK

OremLK Member

I like the MPJ comp for Risacher and I think MPJ would be a phenomenal fit for what we're trying to do right now, whether we end up building around Sengun, Jalen, Amen, or all three

cheke64 likes this.
  16. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Zaccharie because the Warriors are enamored with him. Trade down to get Knecht who is 6'6 than 6'3 Reed. I rather have a Frenchie who is more of a complete player.

17. cdastros

cdastros Member

Makes and misses good plays and bad plays included in this.

18. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

If SA really wants Dillingham….

#3/2025 Nets First top 5 protected for #4 and #8.

19. MystikArkitect

Uhhh...what? Shooting is a premium in the league and someone who projects as a plus defender and a dead eye shooter is probably the most valuable commodity in the league outside of a superstar. In free agency you'll find shooters who are bad defenders and great defenders who are bad shooters.

20. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

They would be better off with Topic