1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

20.1%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

8.7%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.3%
  4. Donovan Clingan

8.9%
  5. Zach Edey

3.0%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.4%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.8%
  8. Reed Sheppard

40.8%
  9. Nikola Topić

9.2%
  10. Dalton Knecht

0.9%
  1. OremLK

OremLK Member

The first-reaction mocks are hilarious guys, all over the place. I've seen ones with us taking Clingan, Dillingham, Topic, Risacher, and Sheppard. Shows how the top of this draft class is... no consensus at all. (Although it seems to have gravitated back toward Sarr as the #1 so we probably won't get to pick him, but you never know.)

2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Are you daft? People bring up Sheppard’s shooting. Another poster said Steph shot 8+ shots a game vs. 4.5 for Sheppard. I pointed out that Sheppard actually shot better than Steph, illustrating his shooting prowess. This is how you evaluate prospects — you compare them to superstars, hoping to find traits that translate.

I swear, this isn’t hard, and it’s stunning that some can’t seem to grasp it.

joshuaao likes this.
  3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Nobody wants Buzelis?

I don't know a ton about these prospects yet, but he seems intriguing to me. Seems like a perfect compliment to Sengun, and some of our other pieces.

MrButtocks, Entropy and Rashmon like this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

It's not that small he took an average of 1.7 threes a game. Garuba took 0.7 three a game.

Risacher looks very similar to CW skill wise. CW just seems more athletic to me and plays good defense.

Calvin Murphy's Law likes this.
  5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Significant minutes played difference between Williams and Garuba. Per 36 minutes played, Cody Williams took 2.1 three pointers, Garuba in 22-23 took 2.2. Risacher took over 5 attempts. (Too lazy to do the precise math combining his EuroCup + LNB Pro A numbers).

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

And my reply to you is are you somehow implying Sheppard is gonna shoot better than Steph? And you told me I need to work on my analytical abilities when you literally admitted that in your post.

What you can't grasp is the NBA is different from NCAA. Multiple prospects have shot better than Curry in NCAA none of them have shot better than Curry in the NBA. Curry shot 41% on 8 attempts a night, that's a lot better than 50% on just 4 attempts a night, and even then like I said there's no correlation because somebody like Jimmer Fredette also shot 40% in college on 8 attempts a night and he flopped in the NBA.

#146 roslolian, May 12, 2024
    Last edited: May 12, 2024
  7. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

I’m leaning Reed. But if the Rockets gon trade the pick they probably will signal they are going to pick Clingan imo.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

But Garuba per 36 is just theoretical minutes played Cody is actual minutes played lol. Just cuz Risacher took twice as many as CW doesn't mean he can't do the same if that's his role. He was doing other stuff like cutting to the rim and scoring in the paint.

9. Houston77

Supporting Member

NO ONE IS COMPARING HIM TO CURRY. Seeing how he compared to Curry is not the same as comparing him to Curry. It’s sad that you can’t grasp this.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

I actually like Williams and I think I would have been okay with him at #9 just on the "best player available" thing. I think he's too much of a reach at #3 and too much overlap in his skillset with Tari's and Amen's skillsets.

Won't be flipping tables if we select him but I kind of wonder how he gets minutes played on this roster, and I'm not sure I want to spend the #3 pick on a G-League dude (even if it's only temporary).

Edit: I also want to say--be very careful reading too much into the "J-Dub's brother" thing. They're not identical twins like Amen & Ausar, who do have noticeable differences anyway. Consider the gap between Jrue, Justin, and Aaron Holiday. Or Giannis and Thanasis.

11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I advise you to stop following him

12. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

BPA. If it happens to be Reed, then so be it. But I’m not gonna pick him just because his shooting fits our needs.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

"Sheppard shot better than Curry"

"Nobody is comparing him to Curry"

You are crazy.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

People want Buzelis, but I don't know about at #3. Like the others, he's a bit of a project in that he's not everything he could've been coming out of high school. His handles aren't great, his shot may not be that great, his defense isn't great, he needs to maybe bulk up, he needs to be a bit more aggressive, etc. So, in other words, he's like everybody else at the top of this draft : lots of talent with lots of questions.

Two Sandwiches and roslolian like this.
  15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm pretty set on Reed.

He can work well off Amen, Sengun and Green.

But a number three pick is a really high pick for the role Reed would be groomed into(JJ Reddick type)

16. Houston77

Supporting Member

It’s pretty clear you are not intelligent if you don’t understand that comparing past stats of a superstar to a prospect’s is not comparing to that superstar in the sense of saying the prospect will become the superstar.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The entire top ten is has little separation

Honestly if there was a draft to draft for fit rather than bpa this would be it.

It even makes more sense for the Rockets as we simply don't have enough minutes for young guys already so whoever we draft if we don't trade them is going to not play as many minutes has prior rookies in this rebuild.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

(Ignore the mock draft)
    BR
    https://nbadraft.theringer.com/

Alex Sarr:
    Jaren Jackson Jr.,
    SHADES OF Jaren Jackson Jr., Jonathan Isaac — Skyscraping wing trapped in a center's body, with a rare blend of size, finesse, and explosiveness.

Nikola Topić:
    Goran Dragic
    SHADES OF Goran Dragic, not Nikola Jokic or Nikola Jovic — Crafty shot creator who jitterbugs around the floor to generate buckets.

Zaccharie Risacher
    Harrison Barnes, Michael Porter Jr.
    SHADES OF Michael Porter Jr. — Connective piece on offense who could quickly earn a role with his two-way versatility.

Reed Sheppard:
    Donte DiVincenzo, Kirk Hinrich
    SHADES OF Derrick White — A menacing defender and sparkplug scorer who plays bigger than his body.

Donovan Clingan:
    Rudy Gobert, Jakob Poeltl, Walker Kessler, Ivica Zubac
    SHADES OF Roy Hibbert — Massive interior presence who projects as a post threat on offense and a paint protector on defense.

Stephon Castle:
    Anthony Black, RJ Barrett, Bruce Brown
    SHADES OF Markelle Fultz, Anthony Black — Jumbo-sized guard who can do it all and could have superstar upside if his jumper improves.

Rob Dillingham:
    Coby White, Kemba Walker, Lou Williams
    SHADES OF Lou Williams, Bones Hyland — Electric bucket-getter who is starting to develop as a playmaker.

Ron Holland II:
    Cam Whitmore, RJ Barrett
    SHADES OF Harrison Barnes, theoretical Josh Jackson — Defensive stopper with the upside to be a downhill attacking scorer.

Dalton Knecht:
    Wally Szczerbiak
    SHADES OF Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Max Strus — Do-it-all scorer from all areas of the floor who has a tendency to catch fire.

Matas Buzelis:
    Franz Wagner, Lamar Odom, Hedo Turkoglu, Tony Kukoc
    SHADES OF Lamar Odom — Connective playmaker with size, shooting, and the ability to play anywhere on the floor.

Cody Williams:
    Jaden McDaniels, Jerami Grant
    SHADES OF Jalen Rose — Dynamic finisher and a big playmaker with an impressive defensive tool kit.

Ja’Kobe Walter:
    Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
    SHADES OF Khris Middleton — Assertive scorer with a silky shooting stroke and a tenacious competitive spirit.

Jared McCain:
    Immanuel Quickley
    SHADES OF Seth Curry — Sharpshooter with a savvy sense for playmaking.

Kel'el Ware:
    Brook Lopez
    SHADES OF Myles Turner — A vertical interior presence with floor-spacing upside.

Isaiah Collier:
    Tyreke Evans, Ty Lawson, Baron Davis
    SHADES OF Tyreke Evans, Emmanuel Mudiay — Dynamic point guard built like a tank with the ability to control the game.

Kyle Filipkowski:
    Santi Aldama, Moritz Wagner, Kelly Olynyk
    SHADES OF Healthy Zach Collins — Versatile big with a guard’s finesse, playmaking vision, and perimeter shot.

Terrence Shannon Jr.:
    Kelly Oubre Jr.
    SHADES OF Tyreke Evans — Skilled scorer with a relentless downhill mentality.

Devin Carter:
    Derrick White
    SHADES OF Bruce Brown — Positive contributor in every single facet of the game, and he thrills viewers while doing it.

Tyler Smith:
    Channing Frye
    SHADES OF Charlie Villanueva — A versatile frontcourt player with shooting and defensive upside.

Tristan da Silva:
    Kyle Kuzma
    SHADES OF Kyle Anderson — Matchup problem who finds a way to contribute no matter what his own team’s scheme is.

Tidjane Salaun:
    Obi Toppin
    SHADES OF Chandler Parsons — Young talent with the raw qualities to potentially become a versatile two-way star.

Yves Missi:
    Mark Williams
    SHADES OF Jalen Duren — Highflier who can punish the rim on offense and protect the paint on defense.

Zach Edey:
    Jonas Valanciunas
    SHADES OF Ivica Zubac — Massive center with a skill set that has transformed him from a fringe draft prospect to a potential lottery pick.

Johnny Furphy:
    Cam Johnson
    SHADES OF Cam Johnson, Doug McDermott — Skilled shooter with the upside to be a constant presence on the perimeter.

Kevin McCullar Jr.:
    Josh Hart
    SHADES OF Nic Batum, Bruce Brown — Well-rounded two-way player capable of flourishing in any type of system.

Kyshawn George:
    Dalano Banton
    SHADES OF Joe Ingles — An unexpected potential one-and-done prospect who has all the qualities of a shot-creating wing.

Harrison Ingram:
    Naji Marshall
    SHADES OF Grant Williams — Playmaking forward who could be unleashed by the right personnel and coach.

Bobi Klintman:
    De’Andre Hunter
    SHADES OF Jared Dudley, Channing Frye — A versatile two-way wing with the skill set and frame to potentially thrive in the NBA.

Tyler Kolek:
    Jason Preston
    SHADES OF Jalen Brunson, Goran Dragic — Pure playmaker who makes his teammates better and can catch fire as a scorer.

DaRon Holmes II:
    Trayce Jackson-Davis
    SHADES OF Jalen Smith — Throwback big who can block shots and finish lobs, with the benefit of modern switchability.

Jaylon Tyson:
    Caleb Martin
    SHADES OF Jared Dudley, Ryan Gomes — Breakout transfer shining with high usage, though he has the complementary skills to be a role player.

Pacome Dadiet:
    Wilson Chandler
    SHADES OF Michael Finley — Skilled teenage Frenchman who displays raw go-to scoring upside.

KJ Simpson:
    Caleb Martin
    SHADES OF George Hill, Fred VanVleet — Small guard with an “it” factor about him who impacts every facet of the game.

Dillon Jones:
    Tosan Evbuomwan
    SHADES OF Grant Williams mixed with Julius Randle — Bully-ball point guard with an unorthodox style of play given his size.

Carlton Carrington:
    Nickeil Alexander Walker
    SHADES OF Big Lou Williams — Bucket-getting guard with size who can catch fire on any night.

Ryan Dunn:
    Matisse Thybulle
    SHADES OF Herb Jones, Andre Roberson — The best defender in this class, a player who can lock down multiple positions and get stops anywhere on the floor.

Ajay Mitchell:
    Andrew Nembhard
    SHADES OF Andrew Nembhard — A ready-made versatile guard who can thrive with or without the ball.

Jamal Shead:
    Jevon Carter
    SHADES OF T.J. McConnell — Gamer point guard who sets the tone with his defense and provides a spark on offense.

Ulrich Chomche:
    Serge Ibaka
    SHADES OF Nic Claxton — A raw center with a massive ceiling who is the youngest prospect in this class.

Adem Bona:
    Isaiah Jackson
    SHADES OF Montrezl Harrell, Bismack Biyombo — A tireless player with the qualities to be an excellent rotation big.

Baylor Scheierman:
    Joe Ingles
    SHADES OF Parker Tyles — Smooth lefty shooter with deep range and some off-the-dribble skills.

Alex Karaban:
    Christian Braun
    SHADES OF Georges Niang — Offensive force who has additive scoring skills and is capable of draining shots from deep.

Pelle Larsson:
    Christian Braun
    SHADES OF Desmond Bane, Grayson Allen — Versatile offensive role player who goes hard on defense and has the upside to be even more.

Cam Christie:
    Allen Crabbe
    SHADES OF Alec Burks — A 3-point sharpshooter with deep range and versatile shooting skills.

PJ Hall:
    Dean Wade
    SHADES OF Post-Prime Blake Griffin — Glue guy who improves the flow of the offense anytime he’s on the floor.

Melvin Ajinca:
    Evan Fournier
    SHADES OF Raja Bell — Long-armed lefty shotmaker with a high 3-and-D floor and possibly even more potential.

Justin Edwards:
    James Young
    SHADES OF Malik Monk — Smooth southpaw who complements his scoring with passing and defensive skills.

Payton Sandfort:
    Sam Hauser
    SHADES OF Sam Hauser — Beautiful shooter off the catch capable of knocking down shots from anywhere.

Jalen Bridges:
    Dorian Finney-Smith
    SHADES OF Royce O’Neale mixed with Mikal Bridges — Quintessential role player who enhances his teammates with 3-and-D skills and flashes higher upside.

Oso Ighodaro:
    Brandon Clarke
    SHADES OF Al Horford — Gifted passer with the defensive versatility to stick in the league.

Tristen Newton:
    Terance Mann
    SHADES OF Delon Wright — Glue guy who brings winning intangibles to the floor with a well-rounded skill set.

Hunter Sallis:
    Malaki Branham
    SHADES OF Mitch Richmond, Jalen Williams — One of the nation’s most efficient high-usage scorers, who also happens to be a hell of a defender.

Coleman Hawkins:
    Georges Niang
    SHADES OF Immature Al Horford — Talented big man who’s equally capable of magical plays and careless fouls.

Cam Spencer:
    Jeff Hornacek
    SHADES OF Pat Connaughton — Flamethrower shooter who fluidly handles the ball, makes smart decisions, and competes relentlessly on defense

Bearius Jones and cheke64 like this.
  19. roslolian

roslolian Member

So what's your point of comparing them in the first place and saying Sheppard shot better Curry? Nobody mentioned that except you because they know you shouldn't compare Sheppard to freaking Steph Curry.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

I disagree because you can always get your needs fixed in free agency.

We don't know what the future holds. Maybe somebody in the core 6 leaves. Even if it's just 0.1 better I'd rather get that guy in the draft.

That's why I don't like Shepherd at his height and lacking athleticism unless he is Steph Curry reborn he will just be a role player.