1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Joey Loperfido era begins

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Radricky, Apr 29, 2024.

1. Radricky

Radricky Member

2. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Batting .220 is almost 3x the hits as Abreu

Qan, Bobbythegreat and Astrodome like this.
  3. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

4. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

The Joey Gallo thing has gotten comical at this point, but back in the day when he was batting .210 with a .850 ops he was a dangerous ****ing hitter. He had a sub .200 batting average with over an .800 ops once. Just ****ing GLORIOUS.

I remember watching Adam Dunn back in the day thinking he was a troll with **** average just trying to hit homers, I mean he was good but I still thought he was a troll. I wanted him on the Astros so bad.

raining threes likes this.
  5. HeyBudLetsParty

About 10 games in, but I like this kid and want him to get everyday time with hopefully a few games at first. He hits the ball hard, the strikeouts aren’t great but young Springer and Pena struck out a ton too. He seems like he comes to the plate with a good approach so I could see him cutting back strikeouts in a few seasons.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Chas back to platooning? I think Joey should get his first licks at the league (before a potential book gets out)

7. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I didnt get to see the entire series but was watching some highlights and maybe its just the 2 throws I saw but he didn't seem to have a very strong arm and not very accurate, but it was just 2 throws and not sure if that's indicative of his performance or not

8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He has a good arm. Not elite but well above average. The throw he made off the wall in his first game was one of the best plays you’ll ever see.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Singleton has been playing well enough to start, but it's weird to me we haven't seen Loperfido at first yet. It isn't as if he would be brand new to the position. I get Chaz being out creates an opening, but it seems you would want to get him over there a little.

He's looked OK so far. K's have predictably been an issue, but his overall approach has looked solid. EV 91.3, 39% LD, and a .266 xBA despite the K's. The HR's haven't come yet, but they will eventually if he keeps contacting the ball like he has.

everyday eddie likes this.
  10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think there are 2 reasons Joey hasn't played 1B yet.

1) Singleton is playing well and you ride that horse until it falters.

2) The team will need to know if Singleton can be viable as an important cog and contribute during a W.S. push. The only way to know that is to give him playing time.

When/If Abreu is able to return the team needs to know if Singleton will be the guy they drop or if he remains on the roster.

11. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

World Series push? Let’s try to win a series against the athletics first lol

12. Screaming Fist

Yeah, maybe they should have left Loperfido in the minors. Not really fair to his development if this is what they have in store for him in Houston.

13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Or maybe this is who they think he is- a guy who can do very well starting 50% of the time at multiple positions.

And he doesn't need any more AAA experience.

Part of Joey's problem is that the team has Dubon and Meyers who definitely have proven they deserve to start a minimum of 33-50% of the time and there are only so many starts available.

#133 IdStrosfan, May 13, 2024
    Last edited: May 13, 2024
    Screaming Fist and No Worries like this.
  14. PhiSlammaJamma

We know what Singleton is. It's been 10 years. He's lucky to be in the majors frankly. It would be delusional to count on him. We don't really know what Loperfido is at either position.

ROCKSS likes this.
  15. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Calm down

Big Jon is gonna be a stud

Radricky likes this.
  16. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Loperfido has never been a top prospect and IMO hasn't shown the tools to be a long-term star. He's a solid utility guy off the bench with some pop, which is exactly what his role is now on the big league club. Not expecting much more, and that's OK.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  17. Radricky

Radricky Member

Nook mentioned it before but damn loperfidos swing is crazy.
    Dude literally goes down to one knee to launch

No Worries likes this.