1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Nov 2, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Bonobos.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’ve liked the recent series and am cautiously optimistic about this one. I am though worried about the new creative team
    And agree with the other posters about the humans being just feral models in fur bikinis. I get it it’s going to need to be a PG movie but just putting a bunch of humans that look like swimsuit models in loin clothes and fur bikinis seems like such a cliche copout.

3. Buck Turgidson

In the time of chimpanzees you were a monkey

Jontro and KingCheetah like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

5. Caesar

Caesar Member

Put a chick in it and make it ghey!

Salvy, Jontro and Xerobull like this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just saw this yesterday. I absolutely love the prior three movies and as a trilogy I feel like they are almost perfect. This new one was fun and looked really good but ultimately couldn't stand up to what the prior three did. There's just no character as interesting, magnetic and powerful as Caesar was in those first three, and I found myself wishing for someone to care about as much as I did him. The themes felt like exactly the same questions from the prior three movies, too, namely can man and another intelligent species live together peacefully or not. So there weren't any real new ideas that I could see. Still, overall I enjoyed it for the spectacle alone, but it is probably not a movie that needs to be seen in theaters.

cwebbster, ROCKSS, Xerobull and 2 others like this.
  8. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I enjoyed it a bit more but agree that it needed a bit more meat on the bone, especially on the general idea of Caesar's ideology being twisted as time has gone on. Overall I thought it was a decent start to a new trilogy as things start getting closer to the original film's timeline. I did appreciate all the easter eggs and allusions to the original film.....

RunninRaven and ROCKSS like this.
  9. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Decent film but not amazing. Still worth a watch.

JW86 and GRENDEL like this.
  10. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Great movie, but felt disconnected due to lack of exposition of the main characters. I think this one would have benefitted from a Netflix series or something, prior to its release to help develop the back story of the new main characters. Still, it was a great and entertaining flick.

IBTL and GRENDEL like this.
  11. JW86

JW86 Member

Indeed! Was coming in to say exactly that as far as my main issues with the movie. Especially the main antagonist felt very random. I personally thought how they used Ceasar was kind of cliche and unfortunately did not come to a satisfying conclusion either. It's a beautiful movie with some great moments, the ending was solid enough, but there are some parts that I question the writing and story, though it definitely gave me food for thought on the relationship between humankind and monkeys if this were reality.

I think the movie went too quickly into action mode and should've established more of a foundation, since it felt nothing like the original trilogy and probably knew they had to put it all on the line and tried to do a lot of things when they should've focused on building the world rather than jump right into all these new characters. The plot itself ironically is very simple, nothing new and movie overall felt too long since it was obvious what it was building towards.

I would've preferred with this formula they would've thrown in a big twist that would've left it more open. Now it's just a setup for a sequel and likely a trilogy, yet the movie itself felt more like it was a one and done with how quick it all went. It's a 6.5 / 7 out of 10 for being entertaining enough. However, I do not feel invested in any movie going forward at this point.