1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

US airman shot and killed by police in Florida

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, May 10, 2024.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

this is so sad man

look at how much his younger sister looked up to him

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

They don't make statements on all police shootings. Political action cannot raise the dead. They mostly limit their advocacy for legislative efforts.

For example just this month the NRA got put in the Consolidated Appropriations Act that the VA cannot just take veterans (like this guys) rights to guns away without due process. This was a huge win because there was no oversight or repair available once done. It put off vets from seeking metal health services from the VA.

This is something they were working on for 20 years.

3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

A very tragic loss. I feel very bad for the family of the deceased and the police obviously need to look to improve in every area.

HOWEVER:

1) This incident is not indicative of a trend, nor of racial animus
    2) It's an election year. The media will selectively run with more of these stories to try to stir up emotions and get people thinking in groups (race). Be smart; control your emotions. Don't get played.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This case reminds me a lot of the Philando Castillo and Brianna Taylor shootings. In both cases the people shot did have firearms (Brianna Taylor’s boyfriend not her) and were either not threatening an LEO or defending themselves from wha they perceived as a threat and were still killed.

5. Buck Turgidson

She and the officer should both do time.

ROCKSS and No Worries like this.
  6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

She should do time for what? Thinking she heard a fight and reporting it? What would her charges be?

7. Buck Turgidson

48 hours in the hole for being a dumb b**** sounds pretty fair to me at minimum.

"I live in an apartment complex...I heard noise from some other apartment"

"Which apartment, ma'am?"

"Oh one of these around here"

8. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

This is not the first time this almost exact same scenario has happened. I think it was 5 years ago, a couple was playing video games loudly in their apartment, the neighbor upstairs reported violence instead of a noise complaint. Actually, I think it was originally a 911 noise complaint, but when the operator asked if there was violence, the neighbor said "sure, if that means they'll get here faster" or something like that.

Cops arrive and bang on the door. Yell "police" because the policy and I'm guessing the law requires it, but then hide because it makes sense not to stand behind the door. Dude walks out with a gun NOT raised because he heard the door banging. Immediately, dude sees the cops and starts to kneel and put his hands up. Cop in front of him does nothing. Cop behind him panics and puts many bullets into him. GF or wife comes out confused and crying. Cops refuse to let her go to him and she watches him die. Cop was like "he had a gun."

No charges. It's on YouTube.
    My takeaways:
    -some police policy is confusing when combined when it comes to announcing and then hiding, but makes sense independently.
    - your 2A rights do not exist in your own home in some circumstances because cops can kill you for holding your gun and not get punished criminally or civilly. Well, the lady Cop got punished. I know of at least 4 others who didn't.

9. Buck Turgidson

You'd think the 2nd Amendment people would be all up in arms about stuff like this....yet not so much. Wonder why?

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The hand is faster than the eye. This is the real-world movie made possible by extreme defenders of the 2A, causing the wholly expected widespread availability of guns everywhere. You have the right to answer a door with a gun. The cop has the training and self-interest to avoid being killed.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Several justified the shooting of Philando Castillo even though he didn’t even have a gun in his hand. Yanez’s argument that the juror agreed with was that he had legitimate fear that Castillo was reaching for a firearm.

In this case where he was holding a firearm I get the feeling it will be very hard to get a conviction.

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Cops shooting at legally carrying gun owners who think the cops are intruders. If you're a gun owner, you're told you're legally allowed to protect your home, but people need to know that cops go to the wrong house often or go to the right house when the victim is being swatted. And in those situations, cops don't give a damn about your 2A rights. They are going to shoot and try to kill you. So don't open your doors to anyone you don't know, period. Have security cameras. It's a terrible world that we have ourselves to blame where the law says it's okay for these shootings to happen.

Ryan Whitaker shooting

Dick Tench shooting

Robert Dotson shooting

Andre0087 likes this.
  13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Only if you have the proper skin tone of "real Americans"

Rocket River

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

There is no situation or law or infraction so trivial . . . .that the cops won't kill you for it
    Cops will kill for any reason and get away with it 9 times out of 10
    Interacting with police is like interaction with a Pit bull you don't know
    most times. . .you probably gonna be ok . . but the chance of violence is ever present
    so best just avoid them

Rocket River

15. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

^^This^^

I used to produce educational videos in the 90's and did a ride-along with a Constable in Walker County. At one point, we staged (for a video) a very realistic drug raid with the actual Drug enforcement division and undercover officers from the area. Afterwards, the constable dressed up the crew in the vests and guns (san bullets and clips) so that we could understand what it was like to conduct a raid for ourselves. We stormed the house to find that one of the occupants on the couch had a gun drawn and pointed at us (as did we). The Constable asked me what I should do and I replied "shoot". He told me I was wrong and that even though the gun was drawn and pointed, that shooting immediately was not correct. I don't remember the rest of the conversation, but it was interesting to find out that immediately firing was an overreaction. I think he's still a constable to this day.

ROCKSS and rocketsjudoka like this.
  16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If I were to let my emotions get the best of me, who the hell can I vote for that would fix this?

17. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

The same could be said for interacting with other groups as well...

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

LOL

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

There probably isn't a PD in America that would teach this today.

Policing is dangerous work that requires a steady hand and unusual bravery.

Too many cowards running around with badges and guns nowdays.

They're all drilled with the Kyle Dinkheller video Clockwork Orange style until their capacity to reason is broken.