1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Player Development: A Star in Two Years or You are a bust!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, May 8, 2024.

?

How long should it take for a player to fully develop?

1. Should be evident in their 1st year

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. 2 years tops

5 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. 3 yrs - If not time to trade them

38 vote(s)
    40.9%
  4. 4+ Years - They are a bust

23 vote(s)
    24.7%
  5. It is more depended on the Team situation than the player

25 vote(s)
    26.9%
  1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Roosh is a nobody who cares whether Green went off at him? At least Green is actually playing in the NBA Roosh is just some talking head lol why is this a big deal again?

fchowd0311 likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

At this point they have to hunt for these things in terms of marring his work ethic. Why? Because when it comes to training and basketball related matters every coach and assistant coach has praised his work ethic. He got benched in crucial fourth quarter minutes in multiple games and didn't b**** to his coaches at all and just tried to improve his defense to where Ime stopped doing that.

#142 fchowd0311, May 10, 2024
    Last edited: May 10, 2024
    cbass, Mathloom, NewAge and 2 others like this.
  3. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Don't get out much???

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe I just have more competent friends than that....

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It was a publicity stunt and Roosh baited him and Green fell for it....simple as that.

Roosh has a serviceable platform that fans know of and that is negative publicity for Jalen after him fake shagging Josh Christopher.

He is another dumb teenager who does act first before he deems his options. To him everything is light and has no consequence.

We all had the laugh about Roosh giving him playing advice but Roosh succeeded to generate even more unnecessary attention on himself.

Jackson Gatlin confirmed that it was not a good look on Jalen Green and it was a harsh season for him regardless if he had that March Madness run.

I think Clarkson is the smarter Pinoy, mang.....

#145 daywalker02, May 10, 2024
    Last edited: May 10, 2024
    NewAge and DaDakota like this.
  6. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I'm sure they'd make a great party.

7. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Calm down, Karen.

cbass likes this.
  8. NewAge

NewAge Member

Yeah, defo looks like a diligent kid. His "work ethics" reminds me of Yao’s. Knowing he’s got special talents and doing everything he’s asked for to develop them. It’s just not the type of "hoop junkie" or "sociopathic competitor" manic work habits that the Kobe/MJ types have…

fchowd0311 likes this.
  9. NewAge

NewAge Member

The data is dependent on pick number. High picks generally have to pan out early. I did the research, and I renmember it was quite striking: top 2 picks who don’t finish top 3 in ROY voting never make an All-NBA team. That means that you know in Year 1 for those.

Reason is that teams invest playing time and usage in the top picks early on, so they are given the opportunity to shine. The Jalen Brunson types are completely different: they have to scratch and fight for playing time opportunities, and it can take many years…

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly . . . It seems that the greatest issue is that everyone is expecting Green to get a Max Deal
    QUESTION: What Salary do you think he should get on his next contract based on projected output?

Shay's contract is ridiculously friendly and imo cannot be the expected norm for an MVP Caliber player
    That Said . .. . Green nor Sengood are on the same level.

MAYBE TIME FOR ANOTHER THREAD!!

Rocket River
    "It's the summer. . .people suppose to be THREADMAKING"

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, he's a bench quality player, so I think a deal somewhere around the MLE of 12 mil a year would be appropriate unless he shows radical improvement for all of next season, not just a fluke 8 or 9 games.

Maybe a 3 year 42 million dollar contract with only the first 2 seasons guaranteed.

jim1961 likes this.
  13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Projected output is complicated by those two Silas years.

Personally I'd go with Udoka's methodology: those two years don't matter. What matters is that in one season under Udoka, roughly every month he improved a major aspect of his game - which is unheard of for non-sophomores. Defense, rebounding, effort, awareness, communication all improved. By the end of the season that included the ability to beat anyone offensively if he's not double teamed and without Sengun.

That leaves two things I need from him to earn a near-max contract.

- In the final week or two of the season he seemed to be learning the next step with mixed results: how to respond decisively to double teams. That's a massive step, I'd argue it's the final tactical development for a star scorer. That's a very promising place to be at 22 years old. Personally I'm confident he'll overcome it because he's a hard worker and has shown a uniquely high amount of cooperation and unselfishness for his archetype (high scoring pure SG).

- His 3PT%. I'm also not worried about this because at worst we can significantly reduce his attempts from 7.5 to like 4.5 and his percentages will shoot up without any improvement to his mechanics. We'd have to upgrade the shooting at some other positions though. If he actually improves that would be even better and I suspect this is the main thing he'll be working on this summer. On DHO actions the right play was often to take a 3PT shot and Udoka noted Green's hesitance to taking those shots. If Udoka is going to be hands on with training this summer I bet the 3PT shot will be top priority. This alone could catapult him to excellent NBA scorer status. Just imagine if he doesn't reduce his attempts but is hitting league average - it's going to be impossible to guard him.

With those two this in mind I'm willing to offer him $30m/season right now but if I'm him I'd bet on myself to be worth the max the following summer. I'm not offering him the max right now even though we hold partial accountability for his late development.

#153 Mathloom, May 11, 2024
    Last edited: May 13, 2024
    Rocket River likes this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wait, what? You said, reducing attempts causes percentages to shoot up?

I am not sure you understand how percentages work.

DD

15. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

KPJ got 4/63, though only 1 year was gar. Jalen has been considerably better then kpj's 1st 3 years and obviously has much more potential, and doesn't have alllllll of the off court/non basketball stuff kpj had. Something like 4/100 seems reasonable to me. As disappointing as he has been i think the talent is worth taking a chance on it.

Rocket River likes this.
  16. DaDakota

I believe he got 4/80

DD

17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

he did not

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Jalen hasn't shown the same kind of potential, he can't shoot, he has a weak handle, he's not a competent creator, he's even worse defensively.

That said, I'd be fine giving Jalen the same 4/63 contract KPJ got with only 15 mil guaranteed.

19. DaDakota

You are right it was $82.5m

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2022/10/rockets-kevin-porter-jr-agree-to-four-year-extension.html

Since Porter’s first-year salary is only worth $15.86MM, the total base value of the extension can only be worth up to about $71MM with 8% annual raises, so the $82.5MM total value (reported below) appears to include incentives. According to Marks, those incentives are related to games played and team success.

DD

Williamson likes this.
  20. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

i know you have to say this because of your stand on kpj, but jalen has been better so it wouldn't make any sense for him to get less or the same, plus he doesn't have all of the off court risk

Rocket River likes this.