1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Need To Take Zach Edey In Draft!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Apr 22, 2024.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Meh. Fast/weird angle rebounds coming off of a really bad shot happen to everyone who plays the game. I hate the ones that come right at your feet really fast. There are arguments against Edey, but this gif is not one.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The gif is an argument for him.

3. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Great questions…..I agree with many others that it would benefit Edey to take the “Cam” couse where he learns behind others at the beginning and plays some g-league as well. No need to rush his development, but having him train with Adams, Sengun, Hakeem could pay immensely down the line. This is the Rockets and playing time is only a stone throw away with the injury history of this team. Could live a happy life never seeing Smith or Green play the center position ever again. Jock’s semi-decent but doesn’t have the game changing abilities and size that Edey brings to the board.

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

What I will say is you're looking at one side of it. Not only that, how about teams stop playing the pick and roll lazy. Everyone wants to switch. Anytime you switch, that's advantage guard. Teams should have the guards fight through or blitz the pnr. On the flip side, what about guarding him especially close to the rim? That still counts also especially if he's getting position and getting baskets close?

tinman likes this.
  5. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Teams aren't switching because they are lazy. They do it because it's more effective. Modern shooters have a fast trigger. If you try to fight over the screen then odds are that you will be too late.

What about guarding him close to the rim? Are you going to let him clog the paint? Jokic leads the league in postups at 6.0 per game. Embiid is next at 5.8. Nobody else is over 5 per game. Do you really believe that his postups would be anywhere near the amount of scores that his perimeter defense will allow?

Let's not pretend that he's Olajuwon in the post. Worst case, you double him. He's not a good passer and he averages more turnovers than assists.

#185 aelliott, May 11, 2024
    Last edited: May 11, 2024
  6. aelliott

If he doesn't have the footspeed to guard on the perimeter, then no amount of development is going to matter.

Lots of things have changed in the NBA over the years, but one thing that hasn't is the fact that if something is working then teams will run it over and over until you stop it.

My best guess is that the Rockets end up trading their pick but if they keep it, you don't draft Edey in the first unless you are convinced that he can defend NBA ball handlers on the perimeter. Otherwise, he's another Drew Timme - great college player but not athletic enough to play in the NBA.

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

The problem with everyone is that we are all inherently followers. If it works for a while then run it into the ground. Wow…the new fad in the NBA is that teams just jack up three after three even with bad shooters (see Miles Turner). Rockets need to be the instigators of change and make everyone else adjust their plans to us. Minnesota started going big and are making waves in the playoffs. Zach Edey can be easily as good as Goebert, as he brings the size and 40 point ability against college’s best teams. Message to Houston: “Quit following and start leading and you will be surprised at the results!”

leebigez likes this.
  8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think you're really wrong on this, but you're so passionate about it that I'm rooting for you to be right.

Imanimal likes this.
  9. aelliott

Zach Edy is no where near as mobile or quick as Gobert. Gobert can switch on a pick and role.

As I mentioned in another post, Drew Timme was a force in college. Unfortunately, he didn't have the foot speed to defend in the NBA.

If Edey could "easily" be as good as Gobert, then he'd be the #1 pick in the draft. I think NBA experts will disagree with you and he won't go at the top of the draft.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. leebigez

It's not most effective switching. Teams do it because they don't want to fight through or blitz the screen. Anytime a guard of any quality see a big guy on him and vice versa, that's dynamite fishing. There was a reason vs Sun's they had Smith fight through vs KJ because they didn't want to give him a chance to get everyone else involved. As great of a defender as Dream was, if the Rockets switched that high pnr, Rockets probably lose that series because he would've been breaking Dream down at every turn.

I never said Edey was Dream or Duncan, I merely stated he has good footwork, great touch around the rim, a good free throw shooter early and he has size. Being a good ft shooter tells me he can extend the floor. His touch around the basket tells me he's going to be very efficient inside. He can hook over both shoulders. Not only that, he can get better like he did in college. Watch how it plays out, they pair him with Wemby, kicks our asses for the next 12 years.

Imanimal and tinman like this.
  12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pure take

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Impressive Combine.

ApacheWarrior, Imanimal and leebigez like this.
  14. leebigez

Yep, like the mid range game. Anyone see SGA last night and those mid range jumpers?

15. leebigez

What I said about Edey and his shooting? Also he's a better foot athlete than he gets credit for

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

His value would still lie at the position where he would be drafted.

If he was drafted 3rd, he would not survive those high expectations, it all boils down to where he is being selected.

Also fit plays an ernomous role for him.

Rocket River likes this.
  17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Question: He cannot do the Switching Defense but could he do well enough in Drop Coverage like Brook Lopez?

Rocket River

leebigez likes this.
  18. leebigez

There you go. We gone act like Yao Ming wasn't dropping or blitzing under JVG.

Imanimal likes this.
  19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

They're saying he tested faster than Sarr and Clingan. Buy a second round pick and draft him.

20. leebigez

Makes no sense. He was a 2 time player of the year, he's going to have pressure regardless. Dude was dominant, not avg in college. To me, he's made of the right stuff plus he's 22. I would draft him and package players up nit named Sengun, Eason, Whitmore, Thompson to get a high end young vet.

ArtV likes this.