1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feigen: Rockets offered the Nets their draft picks back at the deadline for the Suns’ Draft Picks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, May 10, 2024.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I like the idea of trading #9 for a future asset, just don't think the value exists out there.

I think we end up taking bpa.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Please name 3 players who do you think might be the bpa's at 9 or 10 in this draft.

3. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If anyone can play this game:
    Ron Holland
    Cody Williams
    Dalton Knecht

I would be ok with Knecht. I think he has a high floor and fits a need.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I feel like they can get better this offseason and take a bigger step next offseason when Simmons expires.

They have 4 large TPE's two that expire this offseason $11.9m & $6.8m along with two that expire next offseason $9.5m & $20.3m.

They can potentially generate max cap space this offseason and/or next.

They also have some of the most valuable draft assets in the future PHX picks - they are going to be bad sooner than later and they won't have the luxury of getting a big return on an old ass KD.
    I don't see much return for Beal either.

I think those two franchises are the poster children for not giving up multiple totally unprotected picks & swaps.

The Nets have assets to improve ..... it's a matter of execution.

5. saleem

All what you have said is right. However, hardly anyone who might be able to help the Rockets out is likely to be available through the upcoming draft.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Another reason they would not deal with the Rockets is the whole Harden situation did not end well for them and they do not want to be reminded of the franchise that traded them Harden in the first place.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Article just says picks for picks. I'd hope it isn't all picks and swaps unless it involved Bridges, Jalen swap as well. Even then, I value the Nets picks highly even with 2024 being a weak draft.

8. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I like a lot of players around our spot. Sheppard, Dillingham, Kinecht, Williams. All are good shooters, which we obviously need. I also think a guy like Topic or Clingan could fall just because it’s such a weird draft.

red5rocket, Y2JT, xaos and 1 other person like this.
  9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The only way Nets dont do this deal is they expect to be relevant. IMO, ceiling next year is the 9 seed and 11 or 12 their floor.

10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rockets attempt to acquire Booker confirmed.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. a time to chill

I think the Rockets view the picks as capital to use in a trade for a star. Getting the Nets’ Suns picks would give them more time to seek for such a deal.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. saleem

I don't like Cody. His motor seems low to me. I know he got injured. I like all the rest of them. If Memphis doesn't select Clingan, he may fall to 9 to Houston. If the Nets pick falls to 10, then things may get harder. Knecht may be gone. Perhaps Sheppard might be available.
    The Rockets should select and keep him.

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

We have 6 quality players 23 or under. How many do you want? I know the Thunder are super young and doing very well, but their MVP is hitting his prime. We are 3-4 years away from any of our young picks hitting their prime. You don't think we can fill in the team around those guys with free agent veterans?

Genuinely asking.

dobro1229 likes this.
  14. OremLK

OremLK Member

Reports are they are going to extend Claxton. That is going to be expensive and will hurt their flexibility, and he might already have peaked.

saleem likes this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd say the Nets have the assets to acquire one star within the next 2 years, but they likely wouldn't have the assets to build around that star such that the odds of adding that star are low. Considering Phoenix will likely have Booker, hard to see the Phoenix picks being worth the Brooklyn picks (though I think the Nets may get 2 good picks out of it).

Over the next 3 years, the Nets will likely have two 2025 bottom 10 FRPs, one good SRP, and 2 not so good SRPs. After that, they have I think 8 picks, maybe 9 FRPs. There only avenue is to trade future picks which likely extends rebuild or FA in 2025 to significantly improve soon.

FVV is probably one of the 2-3 best FAs to sign recently. Using trade exceptions, re-signing Claxton would eat up a lot of cap space. Even if they get Mitchell to sign in 2025 (i.e., do way better in FA than normal), to use picks to bring in another guy, they will likely need to wait a year or two as they won't have many salaries for trades left after creating cap space (i.e. they might have the picks to upgrade, but going to take time to get payroll back up such that they can trade surplus guys instead of starters). I'd say the trade hasn't came to fruition with Stone, but he's always working to have expiring contracts/movable contracts to make trades.

#35 Joe Joe, May 11, 2024
    Last edited: May 11, 2024
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This.

Best case headed into 2025-2026 season seems to be:
    Claxton
    Sharpe
    Cam Johnson
    Bridges
    Donovan Mitchell
    Finney-Smith
    Cutting everyone else of significcance for cap room to sign Mitchell
    Room MLE
    Small exception
    Minimum contracts
    2 bottom 10 2025 FRPs

That team could win some games, but is going to be razor thin. Not sure Mitchell picks the Nets over the Knicks if he leaves Cleveland.

Edit: Maybe the Nets can work a trade for Mitchell this offseason. That would kill cap space and likely cost at least a couple of future FRPs (not the crappy ones). That would allow them to keep salary up, but would limit them to 3 or so tradeable FRPs.

#36 Joe Joe, May 11, 2024
    Last edited: May 11, 2024
  17. MystikArkitect

Dalton Knecht, Ron Holland, Isaiah Collier, Cody Williams, Reed Sheppard, Donovan Clingan, the UConn kid, Buzelis.

Knecht and Clingan are tailor made for this Rockets team. People are high on Sheppard but the little guy is going to struggle with NBA physicality. Dalton had a little more of a mean streak in him even if he is turning 34 next year.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I set the over under at 3.5 of those being available at 9. Are you going over or under?
    Same for 10, over or under 3.5 of those guys being available?

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Thing is, we probably only have 2 or 3 of them 3-4 years from now.

Guys aren't going to wait that long to get paid.
    So we need a pipeline of cheaper talent along the way.

We dont need more super young guys right now, nut we will.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'll take the over on 2-3 of them in 3-4 years. I see Green becoming a max star as the most likely way of the Rockets having to trade other of the young guys. I think Tari and Jabari likely end up as non max guys that restricted FA keeps their salaries manageable allowing the Rockets to keep guys together until Amen, Cam extensions.