1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Player Development: A Star in Two Years or You are a bust!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, May 8, 2024.

?

How long should it take for a player to fully develop?

1. Should be evident in their 1st year

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. 2 years tops

5 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. 3 yrs - If not time to trade them

38 vote(s)
    40.9%
  4. 4+ Years - They are a bust

23 vote(s)
    24.7%
  5. It is more depended on the Team situation than the player

25 vote(s)
    26.9%
  1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The reality is Green is probably better than 60% of number two picks overall in their first three years.

He's obviously better than Bagley lol.

roslolian likes this.
  2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I mean he’s not ACTUALLY better than bagley. He (probably) will be, but he so far hasn’t been. Number 2 picks tend to be busts so I would have to look to see where he ranks, but he was the guy I really wanted in the draft so it’s been brutal how awful he has been

3. TimDuncanDonaut

For Stone, the only consequential opinion he likely cares about is Tilman's patience. Indirectly Tillman's patience may tie back to the overall fanbase like ticket/merch sales.

4. TimDuncanDonaut

I rooted for Usman and Josh, but NBA is hard to get in and even harder to stay. Playing minutes are finite. The high draft position has done a lot for the likes of Jalen and Jabari. They were afforded favoritism/second chances/coach's (Silas) patience that the other prospects didn't have. I'm ok with it because that's life. But we're also not oblivious to it.

When Ime started tip the scale of meritocracy over draft positions, it was a breath of fresh air. If Aaron Holiday, or Uncle Jeff were playing better they deserved to be out there more. Culture reset, stop pampering the young core.

Some fans overeact, but lot of us are asking for incremental improvements and better consistency which is not unreasonable.

People talk about a player should pass certain standards after their 3rd - 4th year. It's like four years of college. It's possible in a student's senior year he finally catches up and pulls up his GPA, but we probably shouldn't expect valedictorian if first three years, person was a C/B- student.

At some point the minutes/nurturing has to get redirected to the new underclassmen. Are the upper classmen outperforming their peers.

In a Jalen/Jabari's redraft, putting aside potential, just usefulness... like right now.

Would the other team give Barnes or Franz for Green.
    Would the other team give Jalen Williams or Keegan for Jabari.
    Bari has a bit more time. But fans want to see growth, even if incremental. Stone said: 'they expects/demand internal growth.'. At some point, have to put up or shut up. Fans cringe if players' agents ask for a big raise, when they know the players don't deserve it (yet). Should be thankful that the coach is still awarding playing time.

#124 TimDuncanDonaut, May 10, 2024
    Last edited: May 10, 2024
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Jalen was in the Gleague for a year, Sengun was in the Turkish league, Jalen has been a pro for 4 years, Sengun for what 6?

When you are a pro you aren't in school you are just working on your craft.....Sengun seems to be doing fine.

Jalen is behind, he isn't that good for a 4 year pro.....his ceiling CEILING is Zack Lavine and you don't want to be the team paying max money to Lavine.

No one cares how many points a player scores in this SOFT AS BALLS era - big deal, Green shouldn't have been starting, but he was and someone has to score, so he kept chucking, efficiency he isn't in the top of that chart....

DD

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well as of right now, Jalen Green hasn't shown to be a starting caliber player, so what extension do you give a bench quality player who thinks they are a star? Do you really dump 30-35 mil into a guy that isn't a top 5 player on your team?

I don't think we've answered IF the Rockets should even offer him a new deal at any point.

7. TimDuncanDonaut

Sports is results driven.

If you're a patient and getting a complicated surgery...

Do you care about your surgeon's potential?

Or do you care that the doctor knows what he's doing and is at least 'league average". :cool:

Less on the player only fans and more on team results. Past season was .500 team, finally more respectable; put out a product that the fans want to watch and pay money to support.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

out of curiousity
    Who are your top 5

Rocket River

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's just me being kind, I would put Amen, Cam, FVV, Sengun, Jabari, and Tari all ahead of Jalen.

He's legitimately one of the worst players on the team.

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

You mean that G-league that was called D-league, D for developmental league?

That's the equivalent minor leagues in baseball (amateur baseball). Amateur basketball.....would
    you call the 3 years of Michael Jordan college years, 3 pro years? You would.

They call it as I've called it, as far as spacing. So when you say you saw no evidence of Jalen Green
    improving.....you are saying you had your eyes closed during the streak.

Keep your eyes open during this video

How about this one where Jalen gets Kobe-like comparison ...keep your eyes open

#130 ApacheWarrior, May 10, 2024
    Last edited: May 10, 2024
    roslolian likes this.
  11. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

WTF are you talking about?

"Moved past the he's only 23... wait til he's 25?"

He just turned 22. Had 2 years of crap coaching playing with that POS bumbling idiot you championed.

The majority of real Rocket fans are more positive about him going forward.

roslolian likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

After 3 years of nothing but failure from Green, I don't think there's many serious people still expecting much from him.

You can hope, and I certainly hope he learns how to play basketball... but if we're honest, it's not likely.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

There will always be some clueless people. Just accept and move on. It's pretty clear Bobby has it out for Jalen, not a surprise he was MIA most of March since he can't post how bad Jalen has been playing.

14. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

OK.

I know there's many serious people expecting a lot from him going forward. I imagine the FO is thinking the same, but who knows. I'm just excited about the team overall. It's nice to not be in the tankers division anymore.

Strawberry Gum likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

As clueless as Green was when he went into Roosh Williams' DM and went off.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You are the KPJ fan, Right?
    What is it you saw in KPJ that you don't see in Green?

Rocket River

astrosrule likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I see a lot of similarities, obviously Green showed more flashes of brilliance.....on the court and not off the court.

KPJ is a calculated felon though, Green is just naive.

18. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

it's kinda weird because kpj's 1st 3 years were worse then jalen's, and he has less talent

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The ability to shoot a basketball for starters.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I've yet to see even one.