1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Given the chance, Booker or Mitchell?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, May 5, 2024.

?

Booker or Mitchell?

1. Booker

2. Mitchell

3. neither

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ingram is available soon, the Pels are actually making him available so it seems.

OremLK, Corrosion and Plowman like this.
  2. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Can we get Booker to play defense again?

3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Ime got Jalen to play defense. So, yes. I doubt they shop him, but they should try to get all they can for him and Durant. They really screwed up on Beal. They are in the worst shape of almost any team in the league with cap issues and no draft picks. They have no shot at contending during Durant’s geriatric years. Actually the Nets would be in their best trading partners. Get their own picks back for Booker. Trade Durant to the highest bidder and buy out Beal.

4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I'm not trying to hate on your post and I appreciate you clarifying why you think Booker is available.... but it just it seems to me that it's highly unrealistic that Booker would be on the market any time soon. Clearly Beale didn't work out this year - some of that is on Beale but also it's bad timing and the intersection of when Beale, Booker, and Durant were all healthy was fairly minimal this year.

It would seem "running it back" for another year while you still have Durant would be a much wiser thing because their options improve dramatically in the next few offseasons when Durant becomes an expiring and Beal's contract isn't quite as onerous(costs you assets to trade him) because of the cap smoothing - ironically because of the 'Kevin Durant rule'. That gives you a much better place as an org to have a few chances to catch lightning in a bottle with their current super team and otherwise, you still have ANOTHER opportunity to rebuild around Booker either via trade or FA in 26 when Durant comes off the books(current FAs include Curry, EMBID!!!, Butler, Young, Doncic, LaVine,Kyrie, Gobert, Ayton) and then yet ANOTHER opportunity in 27(Lillard, Davis, Giannis, KAT, Embid, Kawhi, Doncic, Jokic, etc) when Beal comes of the books while you still have Booker under contract...yes some of those names are duplicated depending on whether those players pick up a player option are not but I think the point remains that it would be VERY foolish for Phoenix to go into rebuild mode so early into their big 3 when they have the opportunity to reshape that roster in meaningful ways around Booker at several points between now and 2027. Am I missing something here or are you just not seeing the big picture?

Dobbizzle likes this.
  5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Booker is pretty firmly Top 15 I would say. Mitchell is probably more 20-25.

The problem with waiting for a true "superstar" is A) they don't come available often, B) when they do, 9 times out of 10 they force their destination, usually to LA/NY/MIA/etc. and C) young assets either eventually become overpaid (likely what will happen to Jalen Green), or don't develop as expected and lose value.

Generally speaking, you probably have to risk it for a guy outside that elite class and hope the fit/surrounding talent make it work. It's not ideal, just usually how teams outside of the glamour markets have to operate.

justtxyank likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Mitchell has the ability to take over and do things Booker has not done except shooting which I think Booker is much better at.

Mitchell is so it seems the better Playoff performer while Booker might be the same or better RS performer.

Not thrilled by both of them but both are great players just not that great or big enough to lead a team.

One thing Fred Van Vleet did was to lead a team being an above average player.......

7. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

I'd flp Mitchell and Booker. Booker is playing with a 1st ballot HOF and couldn't get out of the 1st round, Mitchell is the best player on his team and lead them to the 2nd round. They liikely have no shot against Boston, but that's not Mitchell's fault. Mitchell has played two less years in the NBA but has more career VORP than Booker and has nearly caught him in WS.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

In the playoffs, one of those guys scores more per game with a higher FG%, 3PT%, and FT%, assists more per game, rebounds more per game, and it generally takes the eventual NBA champ to knock out his team. The other is Mitchell.

Granted, I think these players are very even, and I don't buy Mitchell being some great playoff performer just because he squeeked out of the 1st round three times and has never gotten past the 2nd round. I think Booker has generally been on better teams.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'd take Franz Wagner for Jalen (see separate thread).

Admittedly, I'm biased, being German and all.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Franz is great and easily better than Jalen so far. He's the best Magic player right now though the way the playoffs ended does leave a bad taste in the mouth. Paolo needs to rein in his tendency to settle for mid range shots or make them more efficiently for him to pass Franz in my mind.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That's why I am wondering if maybe we have a unique chance to nab him which we otherwise would not have. Normally, the guy seems like a winner to me.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The only way Franz is getting out of there is if he enters Free agency.

The whole history of the Magic history was about having Size and Playmaking skills or both......

Magic is going after PG13 and Klay Thompson.......so Franz should be staying put for at least 5 yrs.

They only need one or two pieces whereas the Rockets still have to figure things out.

13. TimDuncanDonaut

I would dangle Amen in an offer for Book or Spida. :cool:

Non shooter for a shooter.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Mitchell is an easy choice between the two.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Houston is not even near their target place.....so this is just people looking for consolation prizes.

16. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

I'd opt for a higher prize if available but those who really think Booker is much better need to THINK TWICE.

17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

neither. Booker is TO prone in the playoffs and Mitchell has been up and down. Not to mention heavy price tag.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Booker has smoother shooting game. The romanticized BallDontStop "pure hooper" form. Doesnt shoot as many 3's as you'd think. But gets to line little more than you think, too.

Mitchell is more twitchy athlete. Shorter but quicker on his feet at D. More 3 attempts. Capable of explosive takeover scoring bursts as well. Booker has gone to Finals, while Mitchell been on more winning teams

Logic says Mitchell is the little better all around player. Possibly better Udoka fit. But my senses likes Booker better, who's taller & little more "sure" points. And no, I do not want them. But fun thought though

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

Ingram would be a really nice fit on this team, but I expect he will cost a lot to acquire, and he is very injury-prone.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I like both Mitchell and Booker, it does not really matter to me.

Both would be targeting New York and LA I am convinced.

kjayp likes this.