1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 6, 2023.

1. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Teams on course to lose 100+ games have no business going out and getting free agents. They pick up other teams cast offs and hope for luck.

2. Buck Turgidson

3. Nook

Nook Member

This is kind of how I feel.

The OPS is solid this year - but he just doesn't do some things that he needs to do. First, his arm is shot after the injury and teams can tag up on him with ease. Then you couple that with his inability to make basic baseball decisions, like tagging up himself. It is why I say that it would be nice for Loperfido to just get hot and take the job from Meyers. The Astros tried to trade Meyers this Winter for a good reliever, and they had almost no interest.

4. Nook

Nook Member

It isn't just velocity. He doesn't make good or strong throws. I will take the arms of the other guys you listed 10 out of 10 times.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Zach Cole has gotten a shocking amount of hype IMO. If he comes back and hits, he will be a top 10 prospect in baseball with some. I don't think he is going to replicate his success this year though.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Those numbers are all well and good, and I don't watch those other CF on a regular basis...but I do watch Jake Meyers, and his arm is a massive liability in CF, I don't know what else to tell you.

What was it, 3 or so games ago, where he one-hopped the cutoff man from about 75 feet away?

raining threes likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

“Previous years, he’s down (1-2) and we’re kind of sitting there like, ‘Oh, my God: Don’t chase, don’t swing at something, don’t help them,’” Sugar Land manager Mickey Storey said.

Added hitting coach Aaron Westlake: “Last year, he even knew it, there were times where it just felt like he was a sure out because he would get himself out.”

8. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, he doesn't have the consistent arm strength anymore. If I am a manager for a team facing the Astros, I am telling anyone with average to above average speed to be extremely aggressive on the base paths, to the point of smart players never slowing down and running through stop signs at third. Meyers will get to the ball, but getting the ball back in quickly is another issue.

9. Buck Turgidson

I mentioned him earlier, but I have flashbacks of runners tagging 2nd-3rd on Biggio in LF. It's a constant green light, and free bases equal free runs.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  10. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Need this, tbh

11. Buck Turgidson

It's show up or go home time for him as a prospect, and the Stros have a need

12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Raimy Rodriguez was all over the place in his five innings for Fayetteville (72 pitches, 34 strikes) as he walked five, but he also allowed just one run on two hits while striking out four.

Rodriguez is still just 18 and he's kept his head above water in Class A so far. That should really be the only expectation for a kid who would either be a young college freshman or an older high school senior if he was American.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

14. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Hoping this kid turns into Pocket Yordan too.

15. Buck Turgidson

lol @ pocket yordan, love it

16. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Derek True allowed three runs in three innings in his Asheville debut.

James Hicks followed by allowing a run on four hits, walking one, and striking out five in four innings.

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Collin Price went 2-4 with a solo homer in his Corpus debut. He now has 4 home runs on the season.

Julio Robaina was solid in his 6.1 innings as he allowed two runs (both on solo homers) on six hits and struck out seven. Problem was... the Hooks offense was shut out until Price homered.

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t understand why Robaina is still in Corpus, he’s been pretty dominant since May of last year. He hasn’t given up more than 4 er in an appearance since April 12 of last season.

19. HeyBudLetsParty

@Nook @Snake Diggit any insights on Hicks velocity/stuff? He’s been dominating and seems to have a great repeatable delivery

20. raining threes

Yep, another case of numbers lying.