1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023-2024 Kia NBA Awards Finalists

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr. Dominant, Apr 21, 2024.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

Should’ve been there instead of Luka. But doesn’t matter, Jokic got one back for Embiid’s. Didn’t deserve it this year necessarily though. Still happy for him, he’s elite. Shai or Ant should’ve won I think.

Btw **** Shaq and TNT for the pathetic attempt at unbiased and respectful handling of this reveal. For this reason alone I want NBC. Anything to get Shaq off the air.

Oh and for trying to shove Draymond down our throats like he’s some standup guy. And for forcing us to listen to Reggie Miller all these years. Good riddance!

#41 JW86, May 8, 2024
    Last edited: May 8, 2024
    Jontro likes this.
  2. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

LeBron won his 3rd, and should have been 4th, before winning his 1st championship.

3. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

looks like there's still 20 morons/haters out there, take away those clowns votes

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Shaq is acting extra weird tonight.

Jontro likes this.
  5. OremLK

OremLK Member

He got annihilated by opposing star centers & his team played sh*tty defense overall

Jontro likes this.
  6. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

What? Their defense was good when he played

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

I have tried my best Google-fu and have not been able to find a solid, recent source on their defense with him on the court. StatMuse I think is incorrect and is listing their overall defense (with him both on and off the court). If you have a good page that accurately shows their defensive rating with and without him (not just random news articles from two months ago) I'd love to see it.

In any case, with him playing 71 games @ about 30mpg, their defense was ranked #21 in the league.

8. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Based on basketball reference they had a 114 with him on and a 119.8 with him off. Gobert was 108.8 and 110.8. Sengun was 115.1 and 112.5. Considering spurs were fully tanking and have an awful coach and roster, 114 is pretty good. Wemby played in 53% of their minutes and when he sat their defense was horrendous

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

114 would place them middle of the pack, #14 in the league. Not bad at all considering his supporting cast sucks defensively, but I still don't think that's DPOY material.

10. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Agreed, he was a rookie and he didn't play that much. I also don't know of anyone who thought he should actually win the award (at least based on who i listen to)

OremLK likes this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

chet the shet got robbed. hope he carries this for the rest of his career against frenchymama.

congrats to yokich. hope he wins at least a couple more in his career. he still has a lot of mvp playing age left.

12. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

114 is average and why are we crediting a player for time he couldn’t get on the court? His minutes restriction is also tied to keeping him fresh and healthy. Players have to be physically able to play great for extended minutes.

13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Just to show what he has around him. Rudy had excellent defensive talent around him, as you can see by how good they were when he sat. Spurs had utter trash around him, as you can see by how bad they were when he sat

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think SHAY should have gotten more burn for no other reason than that NO ONE had OKC as the 1st place team in the West
    [Best player on best team . . . . amirite????]

Rocket River

Jontro likes this.
  15. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

What is the logic in giving an undeserving player ANY votes? I have never understood that. There is no argument at all that shai was better than jokic this season, so why should he get any votes?

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Define "better"
    Cause this seems to change year to year
    I remember that it was suppose to be "best Player on the best team"
    They chanted that several times. . .

Rocket River

daywalker02 likes this.
  17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

They both won 57 games, i’m not sure why okc’s 57 is so much better than denvers. Jokic is a much better basketball player then shai, i’m not sure what the debate is?

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Astrosrule seems to have a stubborn and fixed idea about who the best is and why is he even arguing if you cannot rock his beliefs.

Does not make any sense to me too.

19. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Jokic was #1 in WS, WS/48, vorp, BPM and denver was a +11.6 when he was on the court. They were 20 pts per 100 better when he was on the court vs off the court. Give me the case for why shai is better then jokic

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Because the MVP is not ALWAYS about who the best or talented player is, it might but normally someone like Steve Nash would win it due to making his teammates better and being the head of the snake.

Thunder improved from 40 Wins (IIRC) to 57.......17 whopping wins.

And Shai was mostly the most clutch guy on that team sans Jalen Williams.

The case is if he is not by far better, he would not repeat it every time, that is just how awards are given, the difficulty to repeat or three-peat is much higher.

Rocket River likes this.