1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Jalen Green for Franz Wagner?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, May 6, 2024.

?

Jalen Green for Franz Wagner?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Franz played awful basketball in game 7 vs. the Cavs. Like 1-15 FG or something. Also, his 3-point percentage has weirdly gone down in season 3. So, perhaps he might be available?

His counting stats are quite similar to Jalen's. He is not as "athletic", but taller and probably a better defender/more cerebral player? They are pretty similar in age and came out in the same draft.

https://stathead.com/basketball/ver...t=1&player_id1=wagnefr01&player_id2=greenja05

[​IMG]

Franz won the world championship with Germany. Banchero might like the idea of playing with Green.

This is a trade I would personally love...and I would add picks to make it happen, if necessary.

Looks like this particular trade machine also thinks it would be beneficial for the Rockets...but who knows, maybe after this awful game 7 performance, Franz might be available? And perhaps the Magic might be drawn to Jalen's "star appeal" and upside?

upload_2024-5-6_15-58-35.png

2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I would do that deal in getting Isaac back as well, but I do not think I would do the one for one.

Wagner is he better player and in isolation? I would probably make the trade but we have invested so much in green. I am wanting to see what we have in him between now and late January before we begin to decide what to do. Even trading him at a mostly sunk cost in February is preferable to me. I don’t feel like dropping the max on Wagner and I think that’s what it is going to take.

I actually like Wagner a lot, but I don’t want him as our starting small forward considering the options we have on our roster for the future and I don’t think he’s going to get a lot better.

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. JW86

JW86 Member

5. TimDuncanDonaut

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Straight up, sure, but I wouldn't want to keep him, he'd just fetch more in trade than Jalen would.

7. Risingred

Risingred Member

The magic won't do it. Voted yes for fun.

apollo33 likes this.
  8. T-Mike

T-Mike Member

Definitely a raising star in this league with a much much higher BB IQ than most other players. Also known as a hard worker. So yes, I would definitely do it but Orlando won’t :)

AroundTheWorld and Y2JT like this.
  9. Y2JT

Y2JT Member

I mentioned this is the random trade thread recently, 'Yes! I would also swap pick 9 for 18 to do so'.
    Despite his game 7 performance I stand by this. He had a bad game 7 but he had a good first ever playoff series overall.
    Franz lacks the explosiveness or Green and I doubt he ever has a month like Jalen's March. However he seems the much more consistent performer. He can score, act as a secondary ball handler and he is a better defender and seems the far more intelligent player. I do think Franz should get more rebounds given his size however.
    His flaw this year has been his shot. Ideally we replace Green with a shooting guard who can hit 3s. Franz had an unexpected drop in 3p% however having looked at his career numbers I believe he can get back up to the mid 30s. A big help in this would be getting to play with an actual point guard. Franz is a good secondary playmaker but a lot falls on him in Orlando given they lack a true PG. Playing with Fred and Amen could enhance his game.
    I can only hope Orlando see Jalen as the sort of guard they have been missing. I would love this swap.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

No. Trust the process (?).

I still have faith that Jalen will figure it out for an entire season and if he does… the Rockets will be damn good.

I hate the idea that we should move on from Jalen before we see next season. Obviously the coaches and FO know more than me, but I like what we’ve seen from Jalen’s work ethic and team mentality.

I think he’s earned an extension. Not this offseason and not the max. We will see what next offseason’s market will dictate on that front.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not sure the purpose of this thread. This is like saying Would you trade Jalen for Wemby?

Even if you don't like Franz better than Jalen, you could flip Franz for a haul and then trade less than half of that haul to get Jalen back.

Corrosion, Nook, harold bingo and 2 others like this.
  12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'd have to look at more film on Wagner. Seems like he plays really well whenever I watch (except the Cavs series) so my anecdotal opinion is probably slanted.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Just for completeness, this is what the fanspo trade machine thinks would be the impact of just a 1-1 Jalen-Franz trade.

upload_2024-5-6_17-10-26.png

Y2JT, BamBam and Little Bit like this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes.

DD

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

a 6'2 mental child for a 6'10 mental midget that shot 1-15 in an elimination game.

16. Moahst

Moahst Member

Easiest trade of my life. Yes.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You probably can find big wings like that in the draft as well....

How good is Risacher ....

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Calling a team up and offering one of the worst players in a draft class for one of the best players in a draft class is a good way to get hung up on and have someone refuse to take your calls again.

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Magic would decline

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Jalen has a theoretically higher ceiling. But his chances of reaching that theoretical ceiling isn't that great judging from the up and down trend in the past three seasons.

Wagner is already a solidly good player and he is still a couple of years from his prime. I'd always take a bird in hand over two in the bush when those in the bush are hard to get.

I looked at his trajectory. His 3pt shooting has dropped a lot for some reason. But his efficiency held. That's because his 2pt% has gone up considerably. He has been able to get to the rim much more and his middies have improved. I think his 3pt accuracy will likely get back to his previous range of around 36%. More importantly, his IQ is high, which always bodes well for young players.

Y2JT, BamBam and raining threes like this.