1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Apr 4, 2024.

1. Mashing

Mashing Member

If this continues into late June and into early July then they're going to have to start selling. Keep Altuve, Alvarez, Pena, Diaz and probably Javier, Blanco and Abreu on the pitching side. I'd hate to lose Tucker, but if he shows any inclination of not resigning then you have to move him too.

#941 Mashing, May 6, 2024
    Last edited: May 6, 2024
    Snake Diggit likes this.
  2. Radricky

Radricky Member

3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

There are signs if the folks running his Facebook page are any indication.

4. lnchan

How many rings do San Diego or Milwaukee have?

5. lnchan

Bagwell mixes better drinks than those nerds.

raining threes likes this.
  6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

20240506_102907.gif

everyday eddie and Radricky like this.
  7. Screaming Fist

I think i'm beginning to lose faith in Brown at least as an "executive" although of course it's too early to judge his drafts which seems to be the main/only thing he's supposed to here.

What was the point of promoting Loperfido? Even with Abreu out of town (heaven forbid they try forcing him back), where is Loperfido supposed to play? Meyers should be starting in CF every single day unless he's getting rest or is hurt. The fact they are not doing this with Espada as skipper leads me to believe this is a Brown problem, and it's really hard to understand or excuse.

IMO, there could have been two plans at the time Loperfido was called up that make sense to me now: they didn't know about Chas and planned to try him out at 1B at the expense of Singleton (fair or unfair), or they knew about Chas and they they thus could split him between LF/1B while still giving Singleton a good amount of run at 1B. Neither of these things have happened. Instead, they are splitting him between LF and CF??? for some reason?

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Fido has only been here for a week. As of now, I don't see an issue about playing time. The biggest factor without knowing Chas' health is Singleton's good play . Astros want him in the lineup and he plays 1B, and he's playing it well..

Maybe Singleton plays DH soon while Fido showcases his 1B skills, but I wasn't assumed at all with his CF ability yesterday. He had a wack dive attempt that almost led to a triple and a subpar throw to home

whiskeyred likes this.
  9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

what indications are they giving?

10. lnchan

Facebook harder to determine legitimacy than X or Instagram but likes suggests a health level of self awareness of the team's status

11. lnchan

Well a bulk of his time in the minors have been at CF, his natural position. I don't think he will be demoted, so they are easing him in

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

so the suggestion is that he's more inclined to move on than stay?

13. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I don’t think it’s been said enough :cool:… but fire Espada and the entire coaching staff ! Send a message Brownie!

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm feeling better, how about you?

ima_drummer2k and Buck Turgidson like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Hope that players like Abreu, Pressly, Hader end up pitching like they have the last 3-4 years.

Hope that Bregman and Alvarez and McCormick hit like the back of their baseball cards.

Hope that Garcia or McCullers comes and gives you a boost and that one of the younger players like Loperfido step up.

That is really all you can do. No one expected the pen to struggle like it has - the Astros are over .500% if they pitch like expected to this point in the season.

Sometimes injuries or poor performance catches up to teams - we will have to wait and see.

I can say that a rotation of Valdez/Verlander/Javier/Blanco/Brown or Arrighetti should be a very good rotation.... with even more depth coming with at least Garcia added.

Hader/Pressly/Abreu/Montero/Scott/Dubin/Martinez should be elite as a pen.

The line up should too..........

Right now the Pyth. record expectation for the Astros is 15-19..... so some of this is bad luck and some of it has been more performance.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Strom has even said that Miller and Murphy did most of the work the last few years he was in Houston.

Strom is very good - but the issue isn't the pitching coach. Hader/Pressly/Abreu all know how to prepare and pitch.

Hell - if I were critical of any coaching, it would be with the Astros game awareness.

Injuries - poor pen performance - poor performances from guys starting when Verlander/Valdez/Javier are on the IL... inconsistent offense and some bad luck.

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Pressly and Hader's expected stats are far, far better than their actual results.

Some bad luck on balls in play is part of the game for all teams, but given the situations those 2 pitch in that bad luck has been an absolute killer. We have at least 3 more wins if thier results were more in line with their peripherals, maybe even over .500

CinematicFusion likes this.
  18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Because Singleton is playing well and they are both left handers. He will continue to get run, as will Singleton, against right handers until it is proven they can’t hit. Way too small a sample size on Loperfido and Singleton is mashing right now. What is your solution for 1b and McCormick’s injury and slow start? Brown is not the issue. Pitching has been the issue and having our starters back will help, but Presley, Hader, and Abreu must step up or we are screwed. Brown has absolutely nothing to do with SP injuries or the job the backend of our bullpen is doing. Uninformed baseball fans always go after the GM and Manager when teams struggle.

jim1961 likes this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yeah, those nut-punches have been awful. At least Pressly has age/wear/tear to blame on a slow start or a decline in some peripherals... Hader is supposed to lock **** down. More ER's this year than all of last year? And I don't want to hear about save situations vs. tie games vs. whatever... he needs to be better. And Espada isn't responsible for motivating guys who are making $20-30 million dollars a year to perform. He's responsible for managing the game to get them in their position to succeed, and they're falling flat.

Regardless, Seattle has the pitching and just enough offense to do major damage this year. If they fall flat you can certainly blame their douche-faced manager who's gotten Gary Kubiak-like job security despite not having done very much.

20. Screaming Fist

I think calling up Loperfido only makes sense if he has a regular place to play him with CF being (or at least should be) blocked by Meyers. Chas's injury has made an opening in LF but was that really the driver behind calling him up? I guess it could make sense...however, I would prefer siphoning PAs from the unknown (Singleton) than the known (Meyers) given the team is on the brink of falling out of contention this season.

Nook likes this.