1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Green become Edwards?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, May 4, 2024.

?

Will Jalen Green become as good as Anthony Edwards?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Honestly why stick with 18 year old measurements. Today Green doesn't look anywhere close to the 6'7" wing span. His dimensions look similar to sha out there. He looks longer than Ant also.

2. Nook

Nook Member

I agree it - the Wolves have to be very happy with Edwards development. His confident, development and mentality are all spear sharp.

Deuce likes this.
  3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The tangible difference between the two is Edwards has proper form on his jumper. That's it. If Jalen had Edwards shooting stroke he would be an all star. Since he can't shoot defenses play him differently limiting his options.

Edwards: reliable jumper, consistent form
    Green: streaky as hell

4. fchowd0311

Honestly Edwards has a two motion jump shot that doesn't seem as effortless as Green's.

I just think Green having a strength disadvantage early in his career is the biggest role to play in his inconsistent jump shooting.

In his fourth season Ant had a leap in ft% and up to their first three years Green was the better ft shooter also.

#104 fchowd0311, May 5, 2024
    Last edited: May 5, 2024
  5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Anthony has much bigger frame, he can play bully ball a lot of times against most wing defenders. Green is a twig that needs to out quick everyone. Green also can't shoot

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Well whatever the reason is, Jalens form is inconsistent. Look at the type of misses from both players. Jalens misses are sideways. That tells me his form is f**ked up.

DaDakota likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Green is taller than when he entered the league. He is clearly taller than I am and he wasn’t as a rookie. I don’t know how long his wingspan is or if it is longer - but it is long enough for him to be a successful volume scorer.
    While it would be nice if Green was built like Edwards, it isn’t necessary- and isn’t what could keep him from being an all star.
    Ultimately he has to shoot better from 3 and he has to play more consistent.

In 2025 - he is likely capable of doing that if he bring consistent intensity. He doesn’t have massive hands like Westbrook and he doesn’t have a massive wingspan that can get in the way.

Deuce and OremLK like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Green played Utah in their last few games, and he stood next to 6'3 Clarkson and they were pretty even...about the same size......

I do not get the measurement sometimes, either Clarkson is taller than 6'3 or something is very wrong.

Clarkson rocked cornrows and braided ones btw and not an afro or anything.

9. fchowd0311

That tells me he takes more bad shots.

10. JW86

JW86 Member

Even if Jalen would be playing out of his mind, this is not a fair comparison. Completely different body type to compare. Green could never be the defender Edwards is.

11. NewAge

NewAge Member

It’s not platitudes, it’s pattern recognition. Which is never 100% accurate, but you can’t dismiss it completely the way you do.

When he came in the league Green for sure didn’t have the personality or demeanor of someone who is serious about becoming great. Since then he has become more withdrawn, super savvy with media, saying precisely what is expected of him to say. So we don’t really know how he is developing as a man.

ANT on the hand carries his personality on his sleeve, and it is great. He genuinely looks like a winner.

12. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Jalen cannot shoot….seriously maybe CAM because he can SHOOT, has SIZE and is a DOG like Anthony Edwards. Only DOGS can be #1 on a good team

beardsanity713 and DaDakota like this.
  13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Jalens numbers on open threes sucks.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

And that is a trend for this year as seasons before he hovered around 39% on wide open threes.

Seems like having a coach that makes him exert energy on both ends while also playing 82 games has effected his consistency.

His conditioning should improve next season.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I don’t see them as comparable players. They are built so differently. Edwards is one big compact muscle. He’s so much stronger than other guards. His explosion and strength means he can physically dominate other players. He’s also improved his 3pt shooting from 33% his rookie year to 36% his last two seasons.

Jalen has the explosion and quickness, but doesn’t have the strength; he’s not built that way. He’s not bullying anyone or finishing at the rim through contact. He’s got to be quick and crafty; mostly he has to be able to get to spots and reliably knock down shots. Unlike Ant, unfortunately Jalen’s 3pt shooting hasn’t improved over 3 seasons.

They’re both 22. I see a big gap. But if Jalen keeps working hard, he could become the best version of Jalen Green, which could be an allstar player.

#115 Aruba77, May 5, 2024
    Last edited: May 5, 2024
  16. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I don't know, it's pretty easy to get your name changed.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Jalen had lots of good defense this year. Even when his offense was inconsistent his improved defense kept him on the court longer than Cam Whitmore.

Strawberry Gum and pippendagimp like this.
  18. cml750

cml750 Member

Jalen has the ability to be as good as Edwards I just do not think he has the mentality and drive to do it. I hope I am wrong.

NewAge and AroundTheWorld like this.
  19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Those measurements of those players were also probably taken when they all entered the draft. Jalen however definitely doesn't look like he has remotely close to the length of those players. Which to me is fine if he were just an insanely good 3pt shooter. Curry, bane, ray allen all had similar measurements but they are all insanely deadly 3pt shooters from anywhere.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member