1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

“I swear to God I'll pistol whip the next guy who says”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Scarface, May 4, 2024.

1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Mobley walked into a completely different situation. 21-22 Cavs were filled with veterans (levert, Allen, Sexton, Love, Rubio, markennen, osman) even Garland had 2 yrs under his belt. Most of these players had playoff experience and Love had championship experience. Completely different than Jalen walking into a group of first and second year players with little veteran leadership and guidance and even less winning experience.

Monkeychef02 likes this.
  2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Jarret Allen signed a 5 yr deal at 20 mil a year after that 21-22 season. Why would Rockets re-sign Allen as a backup 5 with Sengun’s development?

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If the Rockets had kept Allen, there would be no Sengun on the Rockets.... but even if we look past that and assume they had both, the Rockets had no interest in playing Sengun even when they didn't have an option at the 5... give them Allen and Sengun stays nailed to the bench.

Their ONLY interest was pushing Jalen Green since they drafted him.

4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Sengun wouldn't have been drafted with Jarrett Allen in the fold.

That's what I keep telling people. I doubt Sengun gets picked by us.

I know I know, but Sengun is Jokic......and Jarrett Allen makes the playoffs (Sengun hasn't).

*side note: and remind me how Oladipo pathway has gone on since joining us.
    I have no doubt Stone was anticipating Oladipo recovering well and carrying this
    team much like he did with Indiana in 2018 (23 pts a game in PO's); which probably
    would have nullified, said good picks

#24 ApacheWarrior, May 4, 2024
    Last edited: May 4, 2024
    don grahamleone and roslolian like this.
  5. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

Gonna be a long off season

pmac, No Worries, B-Bob and 1 other person like this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

I don't really get what playoff experience has to do with evaluation of Evan Mobley. Mobley isn't the one who dragged them to the playoffs and neither is he the one carrying them now.

The main reason you can't evaluate these players isn't because they never reached the playoffs, it's because they are young. 21 yrs old if they were in college they wouldn't even have graduated yet so obviously you don't know how they will turn out in the future. It's the same for Evan Mobley as well. Only generational talents you know they are worth the max immediately, players like LeBron, TD, Wemby etc these guys you know they are worth the max already. But others you gotta wait.

Stephen_A likes this.
  7. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

Maybe 'cause they have a deeper team than us and they play in the East? Emphasis on them having a better team.

Stephen_A and roslolian like this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Not really since Mobley wants the max. I'm happy with Jabari who is a floor spacer while also being a good defender.

Stephen_A likes this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Emphasis on playing in the East. Imagine 4 games of Wizards, Pistons and Hornets over 4 games of Mavs, Minny and Thunder lol.

Yinka Dare and Stephen_A like this.
  10. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Maybe the Rockets had their sights on Sengun and felt they can trade for him therefore no need for Allen. Or they just didn’t want to pay an offensively limited big 20 mil a year. Who knows. But one thing I agree is Stone’s obsession with Oliadipo. They offered him a big 2 year deal to stay hoping he would revive his career. We were lucky to dodge that bullet.

don grahamleone likes this.
  11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Yes as i mentioned in the previous post. Vet team with playoff experience.

Yinka Dare likes this.
  12. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Jackson Gatlin Locked on Rockets, The Biggest Evan Mobley Fan since the Draft.

Blaming everyone on the Rockets not Drafting Evan Mobley.

Jackson Gatlin, Roosh the Biggest Jalen Green Hater, got embarrassed when Jalen Green went off.

Mathloom and Stephen_A like this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

A team is always better off having good players instead of bad players, even if those good players eventually want to get paid.

That said, I wouldn't want to pay Mobley the max any more than I'd want to pay Sengun the max. They are both good, promising players but they also have serious holes in their game that need to be fixed for them to be max players.

Corrosion and tycoonchip like this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No one gets embarrassed by a fluke 8 or 9 game hot streak in yet another awful season overall.

Y2JT likes this.
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Getting a felony for a disagreement over draft picks is a bit much isn’t it

Nook and don grahamleone like this.
  16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Wait, are we disrespecting Silkk the Shocker?!?!?! No. No. We're not.

Astrodome and javal_lon like this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Jabari is also a good player so not sure what your point is. We got Sengun and we got Jabari. That's better than Mobley and Christian Wood.

Every action has a consequence. You can't pick and choose and say oh yeah Sengun and Mobley with Jalen Williams lol. We got Sengun because we didn't get Mobley. If we got Mobley we wouldn't have traded CWood cuz his offense fits perfectly to Mobley defense.

don grahamleone likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They didn't pick Sengun over Mobley, they picked Jalen Green over Mobley.

Now sure, if you have Mobley and Sengun is not a perfect match and one of them would have to learn to shoot the 3, but Mobley is better than Jabari Smith so it would be better than what we have now.

Either way, it doesn't really matter, we're stuck with the guys we took.

19. invocux

invocux Member

He's the worst kind of a player to build around. Like the kid has nothing in his bag. Has the worst touch ever has mediocre post game, can't shoot it's tragic. That's why i'll always take Vucevic type of big over Mobley, Capela type of bigs. He might be a bad defender but he can shoot (talking about prime Vucevic) has post game and offense is ALWAYS > defense even if you are a center. Even in playoffs. In the playoffs defenses are set and you start defending as a whole team and so do the other team. They lock down your best player so others have to step up. At that point offense becomes a necessity because you already hustle on defensive end as a team that's not a problem. Refs allow you to play harder, fouls don't get called so you get away being a little dirty but if they lock me down and i'm giving the ball to Mobley i want him to do sth for the team. Cavs have no future.

rockets1995 likes this.
  20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

paying mobley a max lol

[​IMG]

roslolian likes this.