1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green without the ball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Apr 29, 2024.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

For every Murray there are 20 Terrance Williams.

DD

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Jamal Murray was considerably better than Jalen Green has ever been by his second season in the league and he's remained considerably better than Jalen Green has ever been ever since.

Jalen Green is closer to Daishen Nix than Jalen Green is to Jamal Murray.

3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Terrence Williams who was averaging 7pts is who you chose?

Weak af post/reply with a crap player used to support a terrible point.

For every Will there are 20 bobbythegreat's

cbass and cmlmel77 like this.
  4. DaDakota

Well lots of guys who do you want, tons of guys have come into the league and been average at best - Terrance had triple doubles was seen as a potential star, and never panned out.

The point is Green isn't a great player....he is an average one.....at best.

DD

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Please, there's not even 2 of me.

Also...while Terrence Williams was worse than Jalen Green....Jalen is closer to Terrence Williams than he is to Jamal Murray which was the comparison you desperately tried to make on the last page....so maybe cut DD a bit of slack given that you are guilty of the same type of BS.

6. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Jamal Murray and Jalen green are incredibly similar in their career progressio with similar narratives surrounding them at certain points in their career arc.

Main differences are Jamal being more efficient overall while Jalen being more explosive. Jalen got thrown out there from the rookie gate whereas Jamal had to ultimately earn his minutes.

In yr 3 Jamal actually started learning to become a more winning player and be more well rounded. His 2pt%, 3pt% and ts% all dipped in yr 2. He did improve his defense, rebounding and playmaking that year tho.

He faced a lot of criticism from his fanbase about trading him and not making the "leap" and not improving his efficiency but rather getting worse.

He was quite a polarizing player. He was very much up and down. At one point in consecutive games he scored 46, 8, 36, 8. Very incosistent with his output. 46 times he scored under 20pts, 28 times over. 7 times he scored over 30pts and a 46pt and 48pt outburst.

This sounding familiar at all?

Jalen green this past yr had 44 games scoring under 20, 38 times over. 13 times he scored over 30 pts and a 41pt and 42pt outburst.

Ironically Jalen had the higher ts% last yr than jamal in his 3rd yr. Thats because Jalen is better at drawing contact, and shoots more fts. Also, while shooting worse from 3, he shot more of them which helped his ts%, because 3>2 and both shot under 50% from 2 (jalen better again).

But please latch on to bobbys hyperbolic bullshiit. Because thats a real beacon of intelligence to share an opinion of his.

Or maybe you can join the bandwagon of people who claim they always "KNEW" jamal was gonna be great.

Hopefully you will have the oppurtunity to hop on to Jalens one day. For the Rockets sake.

topfive and cbass like this.
  7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think JG’s body language showed a lot of improvement, and I think he is going to turn a corner. Daddy Udoka has those greasy paws on him and JG is starting to hold himself accountable.

Patience. We got a squad. First real off-season of smart work for JG. Not just work.

Rashmon, topfive, Mathloom and 2 others like this.
  8. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

it's funny how now we are comparing Jamal Murray's career progression to Jalen Greens, and this is still a reach, but a year ago people were comparing Jalen's progression to Ant and saying they were the same player, lol those people seem to be very quiet now. Hopefully a year from now these people come back, and Jalen is on Ant's level and we are not comparing him to Kyle Kuzma or something.

9. Rustyrig

Rustyrig Member

I've heard this .stated similarly in other posts, so my question is WHO are the ones who have played as well or better and were moved on from by the age 22? Early 22 at that...and of those, which one or ones had "stretches" that were "all time" levels? I am far from a delusional Jalen fan, I've yelled at the screen many nights watching him, but he also does things rarely done, enough times to make whoever is ultimately responsible for that decision to pause. At his age (which many here seem to pass over for some reason) I want him here until his ceiling has been correctly identified before moving on. Whatever that time is...but I do get it, he's a frustrating talent

topfive, BigMaloe, RudyTBag and 2 others like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Understand the frustration but you should know players are getting paid regardless.

The NBA works like that with talented players, there are numerous cases that a player gets more money than he deserves or players get significantly less money than what they deserved.

The Bulls version of Scottie Pippen was severly underpaid by the Bulls so that he screwed the Rockets over because he was so screwed up by it in the head.

11. DaDakota

Yeah, no.

But we all wish.

DD

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Numbers do not tell the whole story.

Jamal Murray was a Kentucky product and combo guard for sure but he is more of a Brunson type of combo guard than Westbrook type.

You may call the Rockets the New Denver but they are only the cheapest carbon copy of Denver without the shooting role players.

His passing is more forced upon from Udoka than natural IMHO.

#72 daywalker02, May 1, 2024
    Last edited: May 1, 2024
  13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Really? Who are these quiet ones why don't you name some? What makes you think they changed their mind? Because some OTHER person compared Green to Murray and so now you think it's the same person?

topfive likes this.
  14. NewAge

NewAge Member

I don’t see the Jamal Murray comparison AT ALL!
    Murray is practically a clone of every other Kentucky guard that is drafted as a solid but unspectacular prospect and then somehow becomes a big star. SGA, Booker, Maxey, etc. etc.

Jalen Green, first of all, was drafted with a lot more hype than any of those guys.

Second of all, Murray was from Day 1 1000 times more solid than Green ever was. At some point he started teasing the fan-base with super-nova explosions, and the fans started thinking that he may be the MAN, but he kinda continued up and down. Some were blaming the white volleyball girlfriend, I dunno… But the guy has been an absolute solid pro from Day 1, it’s just his star play was not always there. I’ve never seen a Murray game and ask myself “how is this guy in the NBA?” I’ve seen many such games from Green.

subtomic and cml750 like this.
  15. Mathloom

Supporting Member

One of my favorite things in his last 2 interviews was Udoka confirming that he's going to be very hands on with the players in the offseason. He did this to some extent last offseason, but it seemed more like he's checking in on them and giving them advice. This offseason seems like they will be following a tailored program that will give them skills they need within our scheme.

This kind of thing was impossible last summer because if you think about it we went from being a slow halfcourt team that doesn't take many 3's to a fast paced spread out team that wants to take more 3's. We had to learn the identity of our roster so that now the player development guys understand what is the priority. Last summer they were guessing and seemed to let the guys do what they do with minor interference. Not to mention Jalen now knows how serious Udoka is about benching him or trading him if he can't do what this team needs. He already is a resilient and hard working player, this is going to be another step in solidifying new and better habits.

Everyone in the core needs muscle and 3pt shooting. No more wasting hours practicing mid range shots and stepbacks and 30 footers. I'm ecstatic about this.

Rashmon likes this.
  16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Btw I must say @Will

I, too, find it shocking that you think Whitmore is a better defender than Green. Whitmore looked totally hopeless, lost and lacked nuance defensively. Can he just act rough with the man he's defending? Yes, anyone can act that way. But he acts tough all the time everywhere, and he doesn't know when it's hurting rather than helping. He clearly struggles with ALL team concepts - late execution on offensive plays, very bad at passing the ball, terrible at at playing defense. ANY switch and he's out of the picture, and at times he looked like he thinks he's too good to be switching aggressively. So many times he was just lost. This is mostly happening because he's a rookie, but it's happening and I'm surprised you didn't see it.

If Whitmore was even ALMOST as good as Green defensively, he would have started for us because offensively he was better than Green for a large portion of Whitmore's games until Green blew up. He was making his 3's at a high rate early on and that would have fit perfectly in our offense if you ignore passing and defense. Udoka would not let that slide. By the final 25 games of the season Green was average or slightly better than average defender. Whitmore is not close. Not by the eye test nor the stats nor the coach's opinion. I'm not fooled by the Kenneth Faried-like toughness. That's all noise.

I recommend you watch the games one more time after you've heard a range of opinions here.

topfive and RudyTBag like this.
  17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

for me it comes down to the lack of improvement in shooting. Let’s take Suggs for example. Same draft class. While we’ve seen a positive progression from shooting 21% on three’s his rookie year to roughly 40% this year while playing elite defense. Meanwhile Jalen went from 34% his rookie year to a career low 33% this year. Let’s take Cade as another example going from 31% his rookie year to 35% in year 3.

For me, until I see the shooting improve I’m gonna be skeptical of Jalen as the guy. His TS is still lower than his rookie season. So while I’m excited about his improvement on defense, and playmaking and rebounding, I’m baffled by the shooting. And let’s acknowledge that it is rare not to have any improvement in shooting over 3 seasons.

18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Sounds like Suggs and Cunningham have sightly worse career 3PT% even though Jalen shoots more unassisted ones and much more overall.

Meanwhile Aruba is devastated that Green shot literally 1% worse than last season. Still taking significantly more attempts than both those guys.

You should compete in the Olympics this summer bro. After all you're the Michael Jordan of mental gymnastics.

cbass likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not surprised that Only Fandom has posters resort to cynical attacks bordering on personal insults.

Where is the Eternal Optimism when it comes to other posters or is that only reserved for your favorite player(s)?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Is your eternal Only Hatedom seen as more rational in your head?

The difference between you and Mathloom....he doesn't spend anywhere close to the amount of time ******** on any Rocket young player like you do Green.

You spend 90% of your time on this message board putting down Green. Pick up some self awareness.

#80 fchowd0311, May 1, 2024
    Last edited: May 1, 2024
    Rocketeer and cbass like this.