1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Is this just because Sengun is your favorite player or do you believe he's better prospect than those other young stars?

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think he will be in the same category of greatness, and will, with the right additional players, win a championship with the Rockets.

Radricky, HardenReturns and cml750 like this.
  3. cml750

cml750 Member

4. cml750

cml750 Member

If Jokic was 25 or younger I would trade Sengun for him. I would also consider Luka but would likely not pull the trigger. I think Wemby will be great but is an injury waiting to happen and will have a short career, so no to him too. So given Joker is close to 30 there is nobody I would seriously consider trading Sengun for. And I too think Sengun has a great chance to be as good as Jokic.

AroundTheWorld and HardenReturns like this.
  5. invocux

invocux Member

Jokic isn't athletic and doesn't need to be athletic to be MVP. His fundamentals are otherworldly so if he doesn't get injured he will stay at this level for another 7-8 years. However he won't stick around for that long and retire around 33-34.

HardenReturns and Chayvan like this.
  6. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Jokic is so underrated, even as an mvp. He is a level above even the others in the mvp discussion.

7. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

VERY surprised to hear that from you, you have been one of the folks who thinks sengun will somehow be better then jokic

8. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I think it matters, because the more you can pull up and lead the whole team the more valuable you are. An extreme example is Jokic, he is very good himself, and also great at making other players better. Embiid seems to be the complete opposite, even in the weaker west not having a major success, being part of teams that gets a certain number of wins by player quality but not a team that shouts out a contender.

As a thought exercise, I think brining in embiid would have marginal effect. We'll get a first round exit, which is probably what is going to happen with Sengun as well. As I said, he operates mostly like an independent piece that doesn't pull the team up and doesn't have the drive, motivation etc. the it factor to be a leader.

9. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

No that's how you want to hear it. I am saying it the other way around. You cannot definitely conclude sengun cannot get to a similar level, although it is very unlikely.

I also say, the distance between jokic and the others is huge, especially the other comparison Sabonis. So even if Sengun is a much lesser player, he could be one of the best in the league. And he will be far better than sabonis for sure imo.

Dobbizzle, noppeper, tagedieb and 2 others like this.
  10. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I just don’t see the path. He will always be smaller, a worse passer, a worse shooter. Unless he can develop into a kg/hakeem type defender i dont see how it’s possible.

11. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

That's the thing. There is no clear path but he figures things out. His advantages:

1) He has Jokic to learn from
    2) He came to the league younger
    3) He is more mobile than jokic
    4) He likes taking contact
    5) Very flexible body, he bends back when he is shooting or contested layups. This is one of the most unconventional ways to create space and avoid getting blocked
    6) He can be significantly better in defense.

I think it is literally impossible for Sengun, or anyone, to have Jokic's combination of iq, sharpness, vision, and physical advantage in passing. The constant good decision making of Jokic is also very hard to reach.

Sengun can find other parts of the game to unlock with his skill set. He certainly will not match jokic with some skills but he has potential to grow to mvp level. So let's target MVP level rather than Jokic level.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Needed a thread to post this in.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

About to be the Jalen Brunson of Centers...

The thinking man's superstar. :D

HardenReturns likes this.
  14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love it.

Now we are arguing If Sengun can become as good as arguably the greatest C of all time. (Behind Hakeem of course...)

Me-oh-my how the goalposts have moved.

Bruno Fernando and Mo Bamba, to Nikola Jokic!

Dobbizzle, clos4life, cml750 and 2 others like this.
  15. maypk

maypk Member

It seems like a fun game. I'd give Boban and maybe Tate for KD.

You all know that dude is 36, right?

cml750 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  16. cml750

cml750 Member

How is this thread not on the first page? Everyone is reported! :eek:

AroundTheWorld and J.R. like this.
  17. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

You wouldn't trade Sengun for a superstar in Luka, Jokic or a young Wemby? Hahahahahaha

18. cml750

cml750 Member

I said I would trade him for a 25 year old or younger Jokic but not now that he is closed to 30. Sengun is well on his way to possibly becoming the next Jokic with no sign of a ceiling anywhere close. I believe Wemby will be out of the league before he hits 30. I like Luka but it would be Harden 2.0 and we did not win anything with him so I am perfectly fine with seeing where we end up with the unicorn we lucked into with Sengun. Next year will be great if we do not waste 2/3 of the season again in futility yet again hoping your boy Jalen will get his head out of his ass.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  19. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Jokic can shoot Sengun can't. Jokic's midrange post moves are top tier, Sengun's are non existence. Jokic's post defense is solid Sengun's defense is atrocious. The only thing Sengun has close to equal is post moves 2ft from the rim. You guys go overboard with this Sengun delusion

20. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Member

4- he needs contact because he is slow to go past anyone, and he needs the space from the contact since he doesnt jump while shooting.
    5. flexible? he bends back because he doesnt know how to shoot. he cant jump and shoot. one of the most fundamental basketball knowledge. jumpshot! thats why he bends back. thats why he gets blocked. thats why all his shots are hook or circus or dirk etc. this summer he should get a shooting coach and try making jumpshots. not static lazy slow shots. catch and shoot shots where u jump up.

saying you wouldnt trade him for Edwards is so tragic, dont say it in any public place.