1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Praying for Armageddon: Evangelicals, the US and the Middle East

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Apr 29, 2024.

1. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

Or you don't understand how he is refining us in this world in preparation for life in the next world.

Romans 8:18
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.

2. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

I see you didn't respond to my question. Typical. Keep on with your Armageddon kink.

3. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

..well prominent end-timer (and theological heretic) John Hagee did say that God sent Hitler so that Israel would be created.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I would assume empathy is the least likely reason evangelical Christians support Israelis.

5. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I've been talking about the dangers of end-times theology (politically and socially) for quite a while.

crazy timing - this just dropped yesterday.

seemoreroyals, fchowd0311 and MadMax like this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Armebullshit!

DD

Xopher likes this.
  7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Most protestant and especially evangelical denominations do not believe you have to confess and repent individual sins to be saved. There does seem to me to be a divorce crisis in the church where christian couples get divorced for non-biblical reasons and the sin issue that brings is not disciplined while homosexual sins are more clearly denounced. The two are similar in many ways and yet homosexuals feel unwelcome in church while divorcees face no friction at all in most of them. But there is credible risk that if you told people their divorce was probably a sin, you wouldn't have many congregants left. So the church bends to the culture.

Xopher likes this.
  8. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. It is a ****ing kink with these people. I do not oppose supporting Israel. This needs to be done for geopolitical reasons. I am making a blanket statement. There is tons of nuance that goes along with it. These jackwagons like @K9Texan support Israel because of their own infatuation with Armageddon.

VooDooPope and Buck Turgidson like this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Elegant Watchmaker sounds better, but same thing...

If you consider God a multidimensional being, then it could be that His influence is like us seeing a proportion of it across other worlds. It's like the Flatland analogy where 2D flat creatures would see a 3D object as a shadow. In our case, an arm would look like a CT scan picture. So maybe Hiso morality is **** because we only see a portion of it.

The many worlds theory for sci fi geeks opens up the chance that Heaven is just a probability swarm. You'll still see Hitler there but maybe it wasnt the genocidal variamt. But if heaven is like an eternal opium den, why would you even care? Let it all go.

But if you're a bad variant, maybe you have more lives to restart and reincarnate again. Doesn't that sound Just? Or does it skew the living "Prison Population" with criminal and deviant souls into a vicious cycle with a race to the bottom?

Finally, there's viral talk on the question of whether this world is a simulation. In videogames like Grand Theft Auto, the game doesn't draw everything around you. It only draws what you see and nothing more, so everything behind a wall is not filled in. The things behind the wall exists, but in a Schrodinger like state until the player decides to see left or right of the wall.

Black Mirror/Rick and Morty stuff.

This is one of Elon's favorite pet theories. Maybe his ethics are compromised while he's doing His Work to save humanity...

*This rant was brought to you by a drug addled college education

10. Buck Turgidson

Frank 13:37

This guy, this is not my kind of guy

jo mama, VooDooPope, mdrowe00 and 4 others like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Agreed. So please don’t seek revenge or vengeance if I rape all your women and murder all the men you hold dear - for it is God’s choice and in time you will understand and appreciate what has been done.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Evangelical Christians in many cases lack empathy, as it is all about justification of bigoted and archaic moral norms that they cling onto until their last wretched lung heave.

13. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not empathy at all. They support the nation state of Israel because they believe it must exist to trigger Armageddon. Never mind that many of them think the consequence of that is that Jews go to their version hell.

They're purely using the Jews for their own ends. Israeli leaders, unbelieving in the evangelical faith and end-times prophecy, are all too happy to accept their support.

fchowd0311, mdrowe00 and Xopher like this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I guess the whole beef between Jesus and the Pharisees flew over their heads.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Not Christian’s. Most of them are in name only. Just look at their mega church pastors.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's a American specific strain of Christianity.

I don't recommend podcasts usually but this multipart episode on the topic of how the American capital class took advantage of Christianity and weaponized it is pretty insightful.

American strain of Christianity got us things like Amway and mega churches.

mtbrays likes this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My own view has been that I can accept the existence of God but such a being is completely beyond human understanding that it is impossible for us to comprehend.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yet there is a lot in the Bible about empathy. The Golden Rule is essentially about empathy.

19. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

The worst "evangelicals" are those who make politics and the state into their religion. The current uproar of the day -- be it climate change, COVID, or the war in Ukraine -- becomes their evangelical cause. These people -- almost exclusively liberal -- lack the strong moral code that religion brings. So they have no compass whatsoever in life -- simply shifting their anger and emotions to the latest outrage of the moment. Strong societies collapse when these unprincipled people control power.

20. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Protestants teach that you confess your sins to God. Catholics teach that you confess your sins to a priest -- which is found nowhere in scripture. The Catholic church inserted this as a way to control the populace... as the priests now have dirt on their parishioners. Same thing the CIA and NSA do to our citizens and politicians today through their electronic snooping and spying.