1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the EAST FINALS Game 1 as Tatum and the Celtics host Haliburton and the Pacers. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2024 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2023.

1. raining threes

I would've traded 2-42, 4-127 and a 2025 2nd for DeJean because the 2025 2nd should be a 2025 late 2nd which is almost like an early 3rd. I think he's that good. Of course I also would've picked P. Wilson at 2-59. With all of this said I think Caserio/Ryans had a very solid draft.

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Not sure why this is always such a difficult concept. I guess part of it is that folks don’t want to come to terms with all of their research and mock drafting being completely pointless.

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's pretty cool that they signed both of them.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Matt Stover and Randy Bullock?

5. Buck Turgidson

Look, *******, I've done my own research.

About lots of things.

BMoney likes this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Sure that could be the case.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I think the fan base may be pissed trading away more draft capital since we did by trading back from the first

Payton wilson is a good LB but he’s got one acl or something like that and I think he’s a one contract player

raining threes likes this.
  8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Wild idea:
    They traded back because Lassiter was their guy all along. So why not get Diggs and a 5th as well?

Just because all the popular media names were available doesn’t mean that’s who we wanted. If we didn’t get Diggs then we would have 23 and 59 to get a WR and CB. Looking at the draft, that’s basically:
    A. Cooper/Arnold/Wiggins and Corley/Roman Wilson

B. Brian Thomas/Pearsall (y’all would have rioted with him at 23 until you saw CJ’s response) and Rakestraw/Renardo

C. Stefon Diggs and Lassiter

I’m sure we will all differ on opinions, but I like option C. Especially after watching Demeco fist pump while on the phone with Lassiter.

couple of d's and cbass like this.
  9. conquistador#11

From BDN's interview: Nick raved about Isaac Guerendo when asked a common question about the value of RBs. He then finished his answer by saying.. the 49ers drafted him. womp womp

Why would he do that (not an actual question)

He went 129th
    I wonder if that was the pick if they hadn't traded it to the Eagles.

10. Qan

Qan Member

Do people think that if the Texans really wanted DeJean, Newton, Mckinstry, etc., they couldn't trade up in the 2nd to get them?

Texans didn't value them as much as you think they should or they wanted someone else to begin with. These are the same Texans that traded up to the #3 pick to get the guy they wanted last season's draft. Nothing is going to hold them back from trading up if they truly wanted a guy, but clearly they didn't value those guys all that much to do so.

I'll give the Texans the benefit of the doubt and see how it all plays out.

11. conquistador#11

The cost was too high to move up just a few spots once in the second round, considering they had other players they targeted.
    They obviously liked some of those guys and tried to move up to the first according to Nick. " Engaged all Thursday seeing if anyone wanted to move back"
    I think once the Texans saw the guys that they were willing to trade back in to the 1st Rd for started falling, they were good with waiting it out. Then Nick mentions DBs started going one after another in the second. He wouldn't have made a trade to jump other teams and grab Calen if he hadn't experienced something in the second round. "The number of teams that reached out to us after the pick. There were a few teams that were basically saying they were ready to write the guy's name down." -BDN on giving up that 4th rounder to move up and get Bullock-

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

They said the board didn’t fall how they thought and scrambled. Which insinuates their first options were taken

13. Qan

Qan Member

Can you link to that interview?

The board didn't fall how all teams thought. Texans knew who's available after day 1 and had a whole day to decide what to do. They may have had a first option, but it clearly wasn't enough for them to give up assets to move up and get.

#4473 Qan, May 1, 2024
    Last edited: May 1, 2024
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Barnwell: Does trading up in the NFL draft actually work? What we can learn from 242 past deals

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

It’s linked earlier in the thread, I’ll see if I can find it.
    I think they’re fine with who they took, but from their interviews and the action right in front of them it’s pretty apparent they didn’t get their first options.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. raining threes

I have no issues drafting Wilson even if he only has one ACL ligament. Hines Ward had the same condition and played many years. Even if Wilson only gave the team 3-5 years of elite LB play he would be worth 2-59. It's appropriate that the Steelers drafted him just like they drafted Ward.

jch1911, A_3PO and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

LOL I find it funny, people whine about not giving picks trading up 2 spots to pick a player, but when they do, they whine about why trading up 3 spots, saying that player would have been there if the texans would've waited without giving any anything.

Also, players have more media presence over others, and people get mad about they didnt select them, just like what happened, with Watt over Farley, also people got mad, because they selected Tytus Howard, instead of trading up to get Andre Dillard, or even last year people complained that the Texans gave so much for Will Anderson, instead of giving up just a little to move up 3 spots to select Jalen Carter.

houstonstime and red5rocket like this.
  19. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

so you would have drafted a player 40 spots ahead of was actually drafted LOL, just because you think its elite.

20. raining threes

Yes I would have.

I look at talent over draft picks or draft position.

I had Wilson as a top 15 player and DeJean as a top 20 player in this draft. Those are my guys and I don't go by other people's draft boards. I also had Newton as a top 10 pick.