1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 6, 2023.

1. Screaming Fist

Forgot Berryhill was even still in the system. 2021 Astros prospects list looks pretty ****ing rough outside of the top 2-3 names and Chas. Click is looking better and better over time, imo.

Snake Diggit and ryan_98 like this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Man, I thought AJ Reed was gonna hit.

Nook, vince, scott_summers and 3 others like this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yeah I thought he’d be a monster in the style of Adam Dunn. Reed was SO consistently good in college and there really wasn’t anything overtly concerning in his years in the minors. In the end I just don’t think he liked playing baseball that much and wasn’t willing to work hard enough to adjust to how big league pitchers were attacking him.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Looking at Berryhill’s 2021 numbers again surprised me. He was hitting the ball hard. He hasn’t really fallen off that much as he’s gotten into the upper levels but he just must not generate any loft; he only has 8 HR in 90 AAA games despite playing in a HR friendly league and maintaining a high BABIP which indicates he’s still making hard contact. Depending on how bad he wants it, I imagine he could play in the majors without embarrassing himself.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Fayetteville won 10-2 this morning to go to 14-8 on the season. Cesar Hernandez went 3-5, a double short of the cycle. Nehomar Ochoa hit a HR. Juan Santander went 3-5 with a walk and 2 doubles. Tredwell and Langford combined for 6.2ip, 2er, 7k, 5bb.

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Colton Gordon was activated to Sugar Land. Their rotation looks like it’ll be totally made over as Houston’s SP get healthy and they add Gordon. Which will be good because Tamarez, Kouba, and Gusto have struggled pretty badly to start the season. A rotation of Arrighetti, France, Blubaugh, Gordon and Henley (or maybe even Hunter Brown) would look really good as insurance in AAA vs what they started the season with.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

8. Buck Turgidson

Ludicrous Speed, Ludicrous Distance

Nook likes this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Such a high potential prospect. I so wish he could take one more big step forward on his contact ability, he’d be a superstar.

Nook likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

His floor is my 4/5th OF, emergency IF, PR....and that's totally ok, every team needs one.

raining threes likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Didn't see these mentioned...I dig it, hats are pretty pimp

12. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Don't Say Ludicrous again or he will end up in your kitchen until Jake shows up.

Like a good neighbor.

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

10 AM (Central) game for Asheville today

Snake Diggit likes this.
  14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Juan Santander has a 171 wRC+ in a ball. Astros prospects with a wRC+ >170, age 21 or younger, min 50 pa, since 2006:

Yordan Alvarez
    Domingo Santana
    Ryan Clifford
    Jacob Melton
    Seth Beer
    Juan Santander

Cam Fisher has a 175 wRC+ in High A. Astros prospects with >174 wRC+ in High A, min 50 pa, since 2015:

Yainer Diaz
    Zach Dezenzo
    Drew Gilbert
    Seth Beer
    AJ Reed
    Joe Perez
    Kyle Tucker
    Cam Fisher

BlindHog, HeyBudLetsParty and crose like this.
  15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Basically Dubon's role right now. With more tools and more swing and miss- maybe expect similar type production/results. I'd be fine with him replacing Dubon next year if all goes well for Leon this year.

16. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

Are minor league production qualities required to be subpar on purpose or what?
    Just stick with the main video angle and quit hopping around.

Nook and Snake Diggit like this.
  17. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Dubon's not a free agent until 27. I think the team would miss his defensive versatility. He's filled in all over the diamond and earned that gold glove. The last time Leon played a position other than OF or 2B was in 21. I do like his improvements this year with the bat. Nice to have options in the OF.

raining threes likes this.
  18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think Leon's rise to actual potential MLBer coincided with them ditching the infield experiment.

He may be able to be an emergency 2B for a couple of innings if there is a weird availability issue during a game.

Outside of that I think he should be strictly an OF.

19. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I thought it was after 25 since this was his second go round in arbitration. If it's not until after 26 that's 2 more years- I was thinking if you had a replacement lined up I wouldn't want to pay his final year arbitration price- maybe move him instead for some depth in the bullpen or something like that- but either way Leon coming on to be a solid 4th OF that can play emergency IF would be a win compared to what it looked like the last couple years.

BlindHog and SamCassell like this.
  20. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Jeron Williams hit his 2nd home run of the year for Asheville.