1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green without the ball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Apr 29, 2024.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is talented for sure but the NBA has tons of talents, the Rockets had periods where they did not have a superstar and that was noticeable.

2. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

No need for Insults. I just typed y'all are Negative for Insulting Players for no Reason. Typing Tons of Pages. It is getting ridiculous. Very Immature of you.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah, well, I am rubber you are glue whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you.

;)

DD

4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I've read every excuse under the sun for Jalen.

1) He was coached poorly under Silas, which somehow didn't prevent Sengun or Jabari from improving this season.
    2) Sengun slows down our offense, which hurts Jalen. This is clearly evidenced by our lumbering 98.35 pace with Sengun and our blisteringly fast 97.72 pace after he got injured. Those last ten games in particular sure felt like a track meet.
    3) FVV is selfish and walks the ball up, rather than feeding Jalen in transition. This doesn't apply to Tari and Cam, who get an absurdly high 32% and 26% of their opportunities respectively in transition. Amen was no slouch on the break either. I couldn't find transition stats by lineup, so maybe FVV didn't play with those guys despite playing a team leading 37mpg, but the eye test shows me those guys run.

I'm all for seeing if Jalen can capitalize on some of that March magic next season, but let's have some proper perspective on how this season went. A player doesn't get benched over a dozen times during the season, as late as February, because of good habits. Jalen was +32 on the season, which looks fine in itself. However, he was a +171 in March and a team worst -139 in all other months, including a -45 in April.

If Jalen had truly improved and been a consistent player all season long, he wouldn't be this polarizing. When he plays well, like in March, the critics go quiet. When he plays poorly, suddenly he's an enigma whose positive contributions can't be reflected in basic or advanced stats for some reason.

Little Bit, Shark44, subtomic and 7 others like this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Your language is so imprecise. Reread your original thought cloud. You say he still goes on long stretches sof not caring which would be impossible from the mere fact Green would be benched by One of that was the case.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The last thing @Will needs to be doing is writing articles.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I love it when the Jalen fanbois have their ignorant narratives absolutely destroyed by the objective facts.....only to have them shout

[​IMG]

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...there is lots of smart rebuttals - on this very topic, almost point for point. Hell I wrote nearly the exact same thing 3 months ago when people made the exact same points as you..and again two months ago, and again a month ago. Im just grateful there are others correcting the narrative.

All the things you mentioned aren't wrong but Jalen is undoubtedly a better all around player than he was at the start of the season so some of the "if Jalen isn't hitting shots, he is worthless because he isn't bringing any other value" narrative isn't entirely accurate anymore but I can see how it persists depending on if you have been following his progress through the year or if you just took that temperature earlier in the season. There was a marked difference in Jalen's attentiveness to both sides of the floor during that stretch where Udoka was benching Jalen in the 4th quarters. The execution isn't always great(needs to clean up a lot of hist footwork and body positioning), but the intent is more consistent with far more successes blowing up plays than in earlier parts of the year.

I'll also note that Jalen following behind on a screen is consistent with Udoka's scheme. I feel he has improved there a TON because for the last few years he didn't even make it around the screen but certainly agree you would like to see him chase harder. FWIW, I have noticed a similar style of play from Amen but Amen's recovery is INSANE. Jalen maybe lacks some of that 'shark going in for the kill' closeout but as long as Jalen can force the defender to defer a 3 and take a long two or funnel the offensive player towards the screen defender, then it's mostly a successful defensive play in terms of scheming for better odds.

I will note - Cam is a far worse off ball defender than Jalen. He is certainly a much stronger player and that prevents him from being bullied a bit but I think that's the only area where he is better than Jalen(and Jalen has made strides here as he has become stronger).

Finally - the decision to extend is not something I recommend we make with any of our rookie contracts at this time - Jalen OR Alpi. It just doesn't make sense - we still have much to learn not just about their long term futures as players but also about their ability to play together(they both saw success at the expense of the other...and some of that was on Udoka for playing around with the offense a lot this year) AND the type of roster you need to surround them with. That's been my long concern particularly with Alpi that you need the right type of versatile A+ defender to surround him with and Houston appears to have those guys...but the REAL QUESTION is, can Alpi raise his defensive levels to play with lesser defenders assuming there is a world where we can't afford to keep so many defense aces on the court at the same time. Eason, Jabari, and Amen are ALL high level and are currently being paired with Fred and Brooks but once the first 3 come off their rookie deals, there is NO chance we can afford 5 defenders of that level while Alpi is making somewhat close to the max. Throw in the potential to have an A+ offensive guard/wing that will almost certainly cost close to the max(maybe that's Jalen, maybe someone else), then it's even harder to see the math working out.

We have to consider not just the individual players but the 2nd and 3rd order consequences of that player's development in relation to the whole.

#48 glimmertwins, Apr 30, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
    Rashmon, Will, cbass and 2 others like this.
  9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Deleted a long-ass response to this thread in favor of something simpler:

Some of you are going to look pretty silly a couple of years from now. Guys who can take over games for a month at a time are rare. You work with them on fixing or improving their faults, and you employ coaching strategies and make personnel decisions to help mitigate any flaws. Anything else is irresponsible as a franchise.

Same exact thing can be said for Alpi, who is obviously more consistent and farther along than Jalen, but still has important things to improve on.

Rocketeer, Zen Tabak, Aruba77 and 4 others like this.
  10. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

We are Humans last I checked.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We should have more fun in the off season.

Fans are not responsible for the rise or fall of players, that is a natural process.........

They do love or hate a player for sure, and to answer your simpler response.

12. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Good post

glimmertwins and topfive like this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Jalen fanbois already look pretty silly, and have for a few years now.

The disparity between the fantasy of what Jalen Green is and the reality of what he really is....grounded by objective fact, is pretty ridiculous.

The fanbois believe Jalen is a current star and future superstar, and reality says he's absolute trash....one of the worst in the league.

Something has to give, either Jalen will have to improve A LOT or the fanbois are going to get smacked around by reality when their guy is humping the end of the bench on his way out of the league.

xtruroyaltyx and DaDakota like this.
  14. topfive

topfive CF OG

See? This is your crazy bias, yet you're positing it as if it were some kind of immutable fact.

Here's the non-hyperbole version: Some fans believe Jalen is a problematic player with appealing upside, while reality says he's a problematic player with appealing upside.

It's not my fault if refuse to admit that because you enjoy playing the iconoclast.

#54 topfive, Apr 30, 2024
    Strawberry Gum and cbass like this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, the facts are that he's a bottom of the league shooter....as a shooting guard. That's not "hyperbole", that's not "opinion".....that's just fact.

If we compare him to his 2021 draft pick peers, he's 17th in Win Shares....despite the fact that it's a compilation metric that gives an advantage to players who log more minutes....and he has the 3rd most minutes played in his rookie class. If you look at win shares per 48 minutes played to take away the advantage of merely logging more minutes, Jalen falls to 37th in his own draft class.

This season

He has the 9th worst FG% in the NBA among qualified players (132nd overall)

He has the 12th worst 3PT% in the NBA among qualified players (149th overall)

He has the 23rd worst TS% in the NBA among qualified players (171st overall)

His WS/48 was the 23rd worst in the NBA among qualified players (163rd overall)

This is an outright terrible player, no bias, no hyperbole.

16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

this is a really good take. The ability to take over is rare. But I feel like the consistency is so far away from something you can really trust. Hoping this isn’t the case, but let’s say Jalen continues to be inconsistent up to the Allstar break next season…do you still try to stick with him given the upside or at what point do u try to recoup some value and move on?

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

If he starts next year the same way he started this last one, then you'd have to see what you could get for him at the deadline.

DaDakota likes this.
  18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Saw Ben Dubose interview in which he said the Rockets shouldn't extend either one of
    Jalen Green or Sengun.

1) both will become RFA's after the season. Let the market set the price.....Rockets will match.

2) because both are coming off original rookie deals....their extensions are both non bank breaking amounts. Tenure (years in league) to salary increase

3) VanVleet money will come off the books as a year non guaranteed. VanVleet removal will pay for both by itself.

Both can prove it.......more this season (24/25)

#58 ApacheWarrior, Apr 30, 2024
  19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Having hot stretches is not that rare. Theres been plenty of guys who have had entire years of great play and ultimately didnt reach their "ceiling" or even duplicate what they had previously done.

Jalen's issue is not consistency. His issue is that he's consistently been bad with one really hot month mostly against bad teams.

I hope Jalen puts it together this upcoming season but just based on past history I wouldnt bet on it.

What I imagine would happen is he'll be bad to mediocre most of the season and then have sone hot games where he looks great.

Its up to Jalen to break that pattern.

J Sizzle likes this.
  20. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Imagine if Denver tried to "recoup"value for Murray when all their fans were fussing and wanted to trade him year 3.

Didn't make the yr 3 "leap" at age 22. Didn't "improve" year 4 but rather regressed. No all star appearances.

For some reason he got a 5yr 170m extension after his 3rd year tho.

topfive likes this.