1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2023.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

They said they scrambled to get a draft they were happy with in the Caserio presser in a round about way.
    Teams took two corners, and traded up to get them right before the Texans took a corner that was lower rated on every scouting service.
    Maybe they do think that, time will tell if they were right.
    DeJean in particular graded out in coverage as well as Lassiter, and is bigger, more athletic and even more physical.

2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Eagles traded two seconds/fifth for Dejean. I agree with Caserio for not giving up an extra second to move two slots. We have a CB and OT because of it.

Saints traded a second/fifth/sixth for Kool-Aid. Alot of posters were saying they didn't want him because of the injury. Now they're upset he went one spot before our pick. Make it make sense.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Never should’ve traded out of 23. ;)

I guess the official reasoning was they didn’t think the drop off was significant or could get the same talent at 42.

“Well if you don’t trade out of 23, you don’t have the extra 2nd for Diggs. Are you saying you don’t want Diggs?” blah blah blah!!!
    Diggs is on a one-year deal.

Quinyon Mitchell was right there
    Terrion Arnold
    Nate Wiggins
    Newton
    DeJean
    Probably weren’t taking a WR but Brian Thomas, CJ’s guy Pearsall, Mitchell, McConkey, Coleman, Legette

Then didn’t trade up on day 2 when Newton, Sweat, DeJean, Fiske, McKinstry were there. Passed on Cooper, Nubin, Jenkins, Hall

DET traded 29/73 for 24/2025 7th
    KC traded 32/95/221 for 28/133/248
    CAR traded 33/141 for 32/200
    LAC traded 37/110 for 34/137
    ATL traded 43/79 for 35/186
    LAR traded 52/155/2025 2nd for 39
    PHI traded 50/53/161 for 40/78/152
    NO traded 45/168/190 for 41
    CAR traded 52/142/155 for 46

HOU traded 86/123 for 78

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They may like the guys they took and they may end up being good players, but reading between the lines, the second round did NOT go the way they wanted it to. They admitted to trying to trade up into the first and into the top of the 2nd to get specific guys. One of the local guys said that their top DT and CB targets all went right before them.

You can also read into teams trading ahead of specific teams. Other teams do have intel on what you are looking at. It's no coincidence that the teams who trade right in front of the Texans each year it happens are taking a player that fits exactly what the Texans need. They know.

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Philly had to give up more for the jump then Houston would have had to. Not sure I ran into the same response in remorse for not getting Kool Aid vs DeJean being available considerably later than most anticipated. There were still very good CBs and OTs available after pick 42 and 59. I think Nick panicked just a bit with the Bullock move after he realized that his patience was not sneaky at all and by then most of the game changing talents were already off the board. Do you think DeJean is the pick for Nick if he gets to 42 or is Lassiter still his guy?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

price was too expensive to move up; caserio said they were just as active on the second day as the first. Eagles trade up for Dejean and the Rams trade up for Fiske were pretty expensive; hell the Dolphins traded a 2025 3rd in the 4th round to get their 3rd RB

red5rocket and Blatz like this.
  7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

to be fair they did trade up to get stover and bullock

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly

Blatz likes this.
  9. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, I believe Dejean was the pick if he's there but that extra 2nd round pick is not what they wanted to give up. I think you're giving up 59 if you want to move up for Dejean. Eagles gave up 50 and 53. I wonder if someone could show the draft trade chart.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Part of me believes Nick was hoping DeJean gets to 42 and then that Nubin or Bullard got to 59. All while watching Michael Hall, Kris Jenkins, Fiske and Maason Smith come off the board. Panic set in. It came down to Bullock or Kimchens I think.

How badly did we need to invest in a tight end? It was a luxury pick. Did you need to move up 4 slots for him? Two of the four teams in front of our original slot have their TE already. For whatever reason we needed to give up assets to draft a TE2.

Im just doing my draftnik thing - some of the moves were curious to say the least. Im excited to see these new players prove me wrong.

don grahamleone likes this.
  11. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

If you're going to say this, then I guess Nick did the right thing by not trading up to 40 for Dejean. Commanders were ok with Sainristil and Packers didn't draft a CB until the 7th round.

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Right I personally dont see Lassiter as that much of a better player than Sainristil. That is just my ego at play. We had just signed a couple of top 10 CBs in the offseason that we hoped we could revive. If safety was a pre draft priority it should have probably been higher than CB in my opinion. Take the pick of the litter at 42 and then you dont get jumped for players that turn you into a reactive GM. We didnt even come out with a DT of note and that was probably a higher priority than CB and there was a run on that position prior to 59. I think Nicks board went to hell real quick!

13. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I like Lassiter more than Sainristil btw.

I can't disagree with Caserio board going to hell. When it was our turn to pick, I was kind of lost on who was available. I actually thought Nubin was gone before 42 until now :confused:. I would have loved him. I thought DT was going to be the pick. Maason Smith(?) was the next one to go. Yeah, I didn't like that. Now, our division rivals have big DTs. Jags (Maason Smith), Titans (T'Vondre Sweat) and Colts (Deforest Buckner).

cmoak1982 and Verbal Christ like this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Lassiter is a very good player. I expect he will help. Pre draft I was all for stacking the back end in order to slow/contain Mahomes so in its essence I am ok with how that unit is being staffed Im just looking at alternatives to that finality where we land some players who were graded higher during the process. I never in my wildest dreams thought DeJean would get anywhere close to 42. He is a level above both Lassiter and Sainristil in measurable raw talent and production.

We heard the "we're looking for our DT" talk from Nick predraft. So either he was just creating a smokescreen or he misjudged the market.

red5rocket and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. conquistador#11

3 of the rooks don't have much resistance for extended playing time.
    Ranked the positions up for grabs, from easy to impossible

1. TE. Stover and CJ having that 'ESPN' from day one will make it an easy decision. Teams that have 2 decent blocking TEs that can also catch are more dangerous in 22 and 12 personnel. A wet dream for play action lovers.

2. Nickel corner. King has the slight edge over Lassiter but it's nothing monumental.

3. OLB-. It all comes down to Henry improving in coverage. If he doesn't improve, Hill will have a chance. Henson and Phillips are STs
    ---------------------------
    .4. Safety- If Calen is going to get in there significantly, it's going to be because of an injury to Ward or Pitre.

.5. T- Same for Blake. But at the rate we were injured at those positions last year.. .

6. DT. If Marcus Harris can outplay Settle and Fatukasi, just ok players, he could be starting by mid season.

. 7. Byrd- So much depth at the edges. It's going to be tough to crack the rotation.

8. The Janke Bros- Almost impossible for both to make it. I hope one does, the other in the practice squad. But by next season it could be
    Nico/Tank/Rookie/ Metchie/ Janke Bros.

ROCKSS likes this.
  17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

DET gave up 865 points to get 740 back. Net loss of 125 points, equivalent of a late 3rd round pick, and a 17% loss of value.

KC gave up 713 points to get 700 back. Net loss of 13 points, equivalent of a mid 6th round pick, and a 2% loss of value.

CAR gave up 615 points to get 590 back. Net loss of 25 points, equivalent of a late 5th round pick, and a 4% loss of value.

LAC gave up 604 points to get 597 back. Net loss of 7 points, equivalent of a late 6th round pick, and a 1% loss of value.

ATL gave up 665 points to get 567 back. Net loss of 98 points, equivalent of an early 4th round pick, and a 16% loss of value.

LAR gave up 580 points to get 510 back. Net loss of 70 points, equivalent of a mid 4th round pick, and a 14% loss of value.

PHI gave up 797 points to get 731 back. Net loss of 66 points, equivalent of a mid 4th round pick, and a 9% loss of value.

NO gave up 490 points to get 490 back. Net neutral.

CAR gave up 444 points to get 440 back. Net loss of 4 points, equivalent of a late 6th round pick, and a 1% loss of value.

HOU gave up 209 points to get 200 back. Net loss of 9 points, equivalent of a late 6th round pick, and a 4% loss of value.

Red.Glare, crose and Verbal Christ like this.
  18. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Agree and because of that it likely drove the price up even higher specifically for the Texans.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

The Texans may not believe in him like others do.

cbass, RocketFan007 and crose like this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member