1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green without the ball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Apr 29, 2024.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Suit yourself. You must admit, it's really strange to diss a poster because you voluntarily looked at text that was longer than you like.

Seriously, you can free yourself up. It's something you can't see about yourself but when you do it everyone knows it. It really stands out. Have a look at people's faces around you the next time you do it in real life, you will know exactly what I mean. Not that you should care so much what people think, but it's just one of those obvious things that's happening and you don't seem to be aware why you're doing it.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  2. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Coming up next week: Another Rockets fan declares he's finally discovered something new (that's been written 666,668.35 times a minute for the past year) and that he's finally convinced that we need to move on from Jalen Green. We all wait with baited breath.

glimmertwins and Ancient Moabite like this.
  3. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

This is a smart rebuttal. Notice how it directly addresses the observed points and brings in additional context and evidence on the other side.

Clutchfans needs more of this, and less of the social-media-level garbage some others have posted in this thread. Not everything in life is "you're just a hater" or "your side is always wrong." There's actual gray area and facts that can be productively discussed.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Well probably because of a lot of unverifiable claims like "white more tries more on defense".

In what way? How did you verify this?

You aren't entitled to your post to be received with respect.

5. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

It's a direct observation of multiple game situations. The same way I can directly observe that someone who reacts with "I feel you just speweted words out of your butt" and "Are you on some type of psychedelic?" is posting garbage.

6. fchowd0311

You don't have to respect my criticism. I'm not entitled to your respect. Well congrats you are one of the few who believe Cam is more competent on defense than Green and gives more effort with your observations

Mathloom likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I believe you, you are actually watching the games.

8. fchowd0311

Observations make me believe that Cam's idea of effort on defense at this moment in his stage of development is gambling passing lanes.

Ime has shown frustration in Cam missing rotations, switching when not asked or not switching when asked. His ability to stay in front of quick guards as of now is also lacking.

But that's okay because he's 19.

Will likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Never understood your love for a player who is just another Westbrook ish IQ player but okay.

Except WB made a power IQ move off the court, marrying his school sweetheart.

Yeah, with Cam I would set the same standards, give him the 3-4 years to evaluate, I am not favoring Cam at least not on the surface.

Personally I liked his skillset and body type a lot more, but in the end results matter the most which will be in 2-3 years from now.

#29 daywalker02, Apr 30, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
  10. Ancient Moabite

''What's with all them worms in your head boy'' - Aunt Lucy (HP3)

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I can see emotions are running high

unlike Jalens defensive motor

AroundTheWorld and Os Trigonum like this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well said Will, and well commented.

Jalen isn't a good NBA player, he is an ok one, with major flaws.

Don't let the Jingleberries shout you down for having a valid opinion.

DD

Will likes this.
  13. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

You're right, Cam gambles too much. He wants to be aggressive, and sometimes he does that with poor judgment. Same with his switches and rotations. That's why I see him as a useful point of comparison about Jalen's effort, not Jalen's judgment. Cam, like Jalen, needs to work on his deficiencies.

14. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What do you think this website is for and why are you here? Seriously, criticizing people for coming to a basketball forum to write about basketball? Also, how long does it take you to write several hundred words on a topic you know a lot about and like talking about? Like 15 minutes? If you don't have 15 minutes to spare I feel sorry for you. Or if it takes you a significant amount of time to write several hundred words about basketball...I also feel sorry for you.

subtomic and Zen Tabak like this.
  15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

My concern is paying someone with significant questions that we are not all in on, with the belief that we can always move the contract if we need to, when there’s simply no evidence that our front office can actually pull off that kind of a deal. I think it’s better to recoup value for talent rather than paying a guy for expectations of future production, with no real track record of consistent production. I don’t want to get stuck paying Jalen if he doesn’t have a full year of great production, and I don’t want to lose him for nothing.

Little Bit and AroundTheWorld like this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You know what junior? Not everyone here is the same age or in the same station as you. Some of us have a lot more time on our hands, due to where we are in our life.

Some of us are at an age, where we have a lot more free time on our hands, we have earned that - through years of ladder climbing - stop b****ing, and start climbing !

DD

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I thought about it given the contracts the FO gave Van Vleet and Brooks and came to the conclusion that 3 Year deals are actually better than 5 year deals and you can even add more money.....

Granted that the NBA moves fast and each year anything can happen type that would definitely affect decisionmaking......staying flexible with X amount of years is the name of the game right now

This should also apply to a younger player.

Aruba77 likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

So what if I told you Green in the second half of the season greatly improved his effort?

Did you observe this?

19. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Cam is atrocious on defense right now. Hes good at occasionally jumping passing lanes but very often ia out of position.

Hes not trying more or showing more effort defensively, hes just wildly jumping to try and block a pass while in transition, or attempting to steal a pass while completely getting out of position on defense.

He could learn a lot from Jalen to just take your defensive assignment and maintain positioning. Way too often he is left scrambling to recover being out of position while the offense has a clear advantage now.

RocketsTerps and fchowd0311 like this.
  20. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

He improved at many things. Just not enough to be worth a full extension at this point. That's why my conclusion is to keep the options open for another year and see what he does. He's talented, but to be great, you also need to work on what doesn't come naturally to you. It's in his hands.