1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2023.

1. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Toward the end of last season, with all the injuries we sustained, I think it became very clear that we lacked depth in several areas on this team. So this offseason not only have we added star power with Diggs, Mixon, Al-Shaair, Hunter, Autry, etc., but we have also addressed our depth issues. And I think this draft was a huge part of that.

Lassiter gives you good depth at CB at worst
    Bullock gives you good depth at S at worst
    Fisher gives you good depth at T/G at worst
    Stover gives you a good developmental piece at TE and good depth at worst

Not to mention the several under-the-radar additions the team made throughout Free Agency.

And on top of all that, they still have roughly $20 million left in cap space. So it's very likely that we still make a handful of additions that at worst can address depth, and best case scenario can add a couple more quality starters at certain positions.

I don't know if I could possibly feel any better about the state of this roster going into next season. I think Nick knocked it out of the park this offseason.

bcast89, ROCKSS, evo8lover and 7 others like this.
  2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

My "don't be THAT guy" opinions :D

If safety was a 'move up' position I may have just taken Nubin at 42.

I may have taken Coleman over Fisher for his ability to work in a ZBS and versatility to play multiple positions.

Taking the S early in this scenario I'd have gone with Jarrian Jones as the CB flip flopping those picks.

The Texan Tradition of taking a TE highish in the draft continues. I dont get it personally after paying Shultz. I would have gone with Guerendo there.

After this everything sort of falls apart. Big time flub to talk all that mess about looking for your DT and watching the best ones come off the board. Hurts to see Cooper Dejean two picks away from you and no movement for a game changer like him. No LB of consequence so that means Toto better ramp it up next year.

I think patience bit Nick in the ass as the first two picks at least to me looked reactive.

Overall a decent depth draft, but I dont see any elite level players or freaky athletic traits.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Hearing Kiper mention Texans and Super Bowl together made me uncomfortable.

raining threes likes this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

My thing is DeJean gives you what Lassiter, Bullock and Hill gives you in one player. Two picks away.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  8. raining threes

Should've traded up for DeJean even if it meant trading future picks and it would've been a great draft. Overall this was a very good draft with no real difference makers although I think Bullock has a chance to be a long time answer on the backend and Fisher will be the answer at OT. Put them together with solid guys like Stover/Jordan and this was a solid draft.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  9. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

While I kind of agree with this, he can’t play all 3 at once. You need 3 players for 3 positions. Although if it’s depth then it’s nice to have one guy that can fill anywhere.

ROCKSS, cbass, raining threes and 3 others like this.
  10. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

Football is a master of one not jack of all trades game. While I think dejean will be better than Lassiter anyway.

11. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

While Lassie may have better numbers thanks too the Texans pass rushers

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

IMO, this is what everyone has to keep in mind with this defense. It will definitely be better than last year because of the overall talent upgrade and additional depth, but it's on the pass rush to carry it to elite status.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I think my thing is all of these guys are depth at this point. DeJean is a day 1 starter at any of them. Elite safety and nickel in the Tyron Mathieu mold that can also play outside corner. He’s also almost as big as the “linebacker”.
    But it also would have opened up other positions down in the draft.

I like the players we drafted, but I think Clint and Ron said it best, we have to trust Nick and Demeco because none of these players wow you.

14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Yea, and that’s where I’m at. Am I underwhelmed? A bit. But I’ve knee jerked on Caserio enough lately and been wrong. I’m just in the trusting phase until they do something wrong.

ROCKSS, raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

16. Buck Turgidson

B+++

Who gives a ****, really?

Go time: Let's make some ****ing plays.

crose, ROCKSS and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Once DeJean got into the 2nd round it should have been game on for Nick as the player had a 1st round grade attached to him throughout the cycle. Multiple teams moved up in front of us to land "their guys" so it was a little irritating to stand pat and then sort of flail at picks.

Viol8r and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

How do we know he was our guy though? Everyone gets caught up in trading up but it's a strong possibility that Caserio was ok with 3-4 guys in that slot. I understand fans want a particular guy, I liked Dejean, but these guys have plans and back up plans. Maybe we weren't willing to give up an extra 3rd rounder.

We can't say we trust Caserio and Meco one draft and get upset the very next draft because they didn't get the guy fans wanted. There's people mad about not getting Kool-Aid or Dejean but was just saying before the draft they didn't want anyone coming off injury. Every draft doesn't go your way and if you start panicking and trading picks then your going to set yourself up with no picks and expiring contracts.

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Because we still used picks to trade up, multiple times.
    Why not get the better player?

20. Buck Turgidson

I'm gonna go waaaay out on a limb here and say "they think they did"

red5rocket likes this.