1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 NFL 8th Rd / UDFA

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by jch1911, Apr 27, 2024.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

There is almost no way both guys can make the same 53-man roster.

Should have split up.

2. cdastros

cdastros Member

They are competing for practice squad spots.

3. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Whoever discovered Arian Foster as a undrafted Free Agent needs to be rehired.

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

That would be Kubiak. Coming from the papa Shanahan tree, they just knew how to identify rbs to run that zone scheme. Never failed.

Would love him back in some capacity, but not happening. He's just in Magnolia too.

rockets1995 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Plantersville*

*As far as I know. At least he's seen in Plantersville quite often. I think he's got a farm there, but not totally sure.

raining threes and panamamyers like this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

During the fifth round of Saturday’s NFL Draft, Jadon received a call from his (Jadon and Jaxon both share the same agent) agent Ron Slavin. Slavin explained a solid undrafted free agent deal would be on the table with the Houston Texans immediately following the conclusion of the draft. If any team were to reach out to Jadon while the live draft was unfolding, Jadon was told to tell teams he would be signing with Houston, and that if they wanted him, they would have to draft him.

Slavin fielded calls from 17 other NFL teams inquiring about Jadon, no offer was better than Houston’s, and so it was decided — The 6’2, 213-pound All-Missouri Valley Conference wideout was heading to The Lone Star State.

As for Jaxon, unbeknownst to him, his fate began shifting in the second half of the seventh round. “Might get a wish and both end up with Texans, stay tuned,” Slavin texted Jaxon at 5:30 P.M.

Six minutes later, it became a real possibility.

Houston had planned to draft USC wide receiver Tahj Washington with the 247th pick in the seventh round. Jadon and Washington would be the Texan’s only drafted / signed rookie wide receivers.

Instead, Tahj Washington was selected by the Miami Dolphins with the 241st pick.

Moments after the draft’s conclusion, Jaxon received a call from Slavin. With the crowd of some 70 friends and family now quieting to a soft hush, Jaxon motioned for his family to follow him as he walked out the back door.

As the family of nine gathered around one another, Slavin explained over speakerphone Houston had offered a deal to sign Jaxon as well. Initially exciting news, the Janke’s quickly realized what it also entailed. The two brothers would be competing against one another for a roster spot. Though hesitant, Jaxon was leaning towards Houston. With no other offers yet to come through, turning down the Texans would be a gamble. Linda Janke, mother of the twins, was ecstatic. She had wanted her boys to stay together all along.

Back outside, the situation had suddenly changed. The Seattle Seahawks had come in with a proposal. Not only was a free agent deal on the table for Jaxon, but the promise of at least a practice squad roster spot too.

The family, minus Linda, discussed the new situation. After pondering it for several minutes, Jaxon had decided on Seattle. “Once Jaxon was like okay, I think I’m going to Seattle, I will admit that I was sad, it just didn’t feel right,” Jadon said. “I will admit too, when I told everyone I was going to Seattle, it just didn’t feel right,” Jaxon added.

Before finalizing the new plans, Linda was called back outside. Arriving to the shocking announcement her two youngest children would now be heading in separate directions; the tears were instant. “She immediately started bawling because she was so happy we were going to be doing this together,” Jaxon told, “and all of the sudden that was ripped from her heart.”

Even through Linda’s river-like cheeks, the decision seemed final. “We thought Seattle was a done deal,” Father of the twins Fred Janke said.

As the twins made their way to the back door to re-enter the bar, Jaxon’s phone rang once more. In truth, the Texans organization was split on the twins. The coaches liked Jadon better, the scouts liked Jaxon better. Slavin told Jaxon Bailee Brown, an area scout for the Texans, wanted to speak with him. Brown made it clear to Jaxon they wanted him, explaining in detail the situation he would be walking into.

While things can certainly change, the Texans plan to have an open receiver spot on the active roster, and practice squad as well. (The twins will look to push for a special teams role too). Over the next several weeks and months, practice reps will be key. With the Texans not drafting or signing any other wideouts besides the two South Dakota State products, the reps should be there.

Jadon’s signing bonus will be $20,000, with a guarantee of $90,000, totalling $110,000.

Jaxon’s signing bonus will be $10,000, with a guarantee of $90,000, totalling $100,000.

7. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

So this is confirmation that Woods is gone? Also that Sims is not getting that spot?

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

I doubt Caserio diverged his plans to two UDFAs or guaranteed them anything. “Hey, you can come in and compete.” That’s it.

Nico Collins
    Stefon Diggs
    Tank Dell
    Noah Brown
    Robert Woods
    John Metchie III
    Steven Sims
    Xavier Hutchinson
    Johnny Johnson III
    Jared Wayne
    Jadon Janke
    Jaxon Janke

They’re destined for the PS, if they make it.

9. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

^Barring trade or injury, I think 5 WR spots are locked up from Collins down to Woods.

Then you gotta think Metchie, Sims, or Hutchinson are the favorites for a sixth spot. So year, the Janke's will probably compete for a PS spot.

raining threes and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I don't know what it's like to be a twin and that whole relationship, but pretty dumb to turn down a guaranteed ps spot.

The British Brooks signing has me interested- Former walk on that became Captain. 5'11", 225. A little wreckingball that didn't have that many carries but good ypc. His 40 time comes in at 4.59 but his gametape seems way more explosive. Rooting for him.

raining threes and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

12. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I can see Woods being cut, but giving up on X already?

13. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Agree. Believe Metchie is #5 and the #6 spot if we keep one will be competitive. Sims has value as a returner, but with our backup RBs and Tank that may not be enough this season. X has best chance if we keep 6 WRs.

Janke brothers are intriguing, but NFL is big jump. Will be interesting to see how they do in Camp/PS.

jch1911 and red5rocket like this.
  14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Splitting up and one going to Seattle and the other the Texans would have been the right move. Their mom is going to feel bad when it doesn't work out for one or both of them.

red5rocket likes this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Leonard Taylor would have been a good flyer type player to look at especially as an UDFA.

ApolloRLB, jch1911 and red5rocket like this.
  16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

At first glance, Jadon Janke has a real shot at making it.

raining threes likes this.
  17. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

These are some top notch names. Pheldarius Payne, British Brooks, Jaxon Janke. Well done.

18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I remember a time when every draft pick was looked at in our starting lineup and every UDFA was lined over hoping we could land certain important ones..

now it’s “great depth added with that 2nd rounder” and “eh, only one of them should have joined the Texans but they are just PS guys probably”

WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I love how far this team has come in such a little time!

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Facts

raining threes and houstonstime like this.
  20. raining threes

OL/Run game coordinator HOF'er Alex Gibbs.

RIP Mr. Gibbs

jch1911, cmoak1982 and justtxyank like this.