1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 2024 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 14, 2024.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Wemby played 71 games and won 19...

I don't care how dog **** your team is around you a top 10 NBA player will get you 30+ wins.

Put someone like Tatum on last year's Rockets team they are winning 30+ games even with Silas.

BamBam, BigMaloe, Mathloom and 2 others like this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

KD is a lot better than Smith but KD is also old and makes 60M. It would unnecessarily make the Rox window tied to the current era plus losing all those assets.

The main advantage of Sengun and co. is the core six are all 21 and younger. You don't have to beat Nuggets or Minny or BOS etc they will all suck 3 yrs from now. If we blow the load for KD well now you have to do something and beat everyone in the next 3 yrs before KD retires or w/e.

Would be a real dumb and desperate move IMO reminiscent of Atlanta trading for Murray and we all know how that worked out.

duluth111222 likes this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Samfisher thought Wemby was better than Embiid before Wemby even played a game. He jorkin it on Wemby's 20/11 while Embiid is putting up 50 while injured and with cerebral palsy in the playoffs lol

RudyTBag, BigMaloe and fchowd0311 like this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Like I get it. Dude is an alien. Does **** I've never seen before but at the moment he still has glaring weakness that most likely will be resolved when he gets older but ya he isn't a top ten player yet.

roslolian likes this.
  5. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

If it’s Jabari for Durant straight up, sure I can dig. But you’d have to add a **** load of contracts just to make the salary match. Not to mention picks and other assets. So yeah, no.

roslolian likes this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah it's not hard to see any top 10 player gonna get more than 20 wins lol. Only WoFs can't see that.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  7. OremLK

OremLK Member

Wemby's supporting cast is bad but I don't think it's even that bad. Vassell, Johnson, Jones, and Collins are real NBA players. Not starters on a contender (maybe Vassell), but they're rotation guys. It's not like he's playing with 14 G-League players.

Wemby should have won more games if he was already as impactful as @SamFisher thinks. His defense is flashy right now and certainly impactful, but he has significant weaknesses. Bigger centers can bully him (Embiid dropped 70 on him this season, for example). His positioning isn't always the best either. He makes up for it with his extreme physical talent, but I wouldn't even put him on all-defensive first team just yet.

On offense, he is incredibly raw, like I said. He was honestly kind of a low-efficiency chucker a lot of the season. He has a lot of development to do, and I don't believe he can do it in one offseason.

So if he's like the 6th best defensive player and well outside the top 20 on offense, where does that put him?

He would have to take a massive second-year leap to be a top 5 player next season. Sometimes that happens, but you can't take it for granted--look at Jalen Green's career trajectory.

Now sure, again if we're talking career as a whole--he will have a better career than a lot of the guys I listed. A better single season in 2024-2025? I'm skeptical.

BigMaloe and fchowd0311 like this.
  8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This is absolutely amazing - thanks for posting - the 6th best defensive player in the NBA (who is going to finish 2nd in DPOY voting- only people think it's improper to not reward Minn/give it to a losing team! )

Just amazing.

I've seen lots of **** takes like "the French Emoni Bates" but the earnest nature of your posting these last 12 hours is just - chef's kiss!:p

9. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

Just next year? Embiid, Jayson Tatum, Halliburton, Lebron, Curry, Edwards, Ja Morant, and … Alperen Sengun + the two gimmies of Luka and Jokic. Plus Kevin Durant, SGA, and Sabonis for a baker’s dozen. Now in two years, the list will be drastically shorter… he might be top 5 in two years, but let’s not anoint him yet…

SamFisher likes this.
  10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

What does Webananas have to with the 2024 Rockets offseason?

RudyTBag, Y2JT, RocketWalta and 5 others like this.
  11. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

He is our new Nemesis

12. SamFisher

Hahaha great, great stuff sure Ja Morant avd Sengun over Wemby

13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

If the spurs had a real coach, weren’t tanking, and had a decent pg like fvv they would have won 30-35 games if not more. They deliberately sabotaged the team this year (which was smart). No young rookie is gonna overcome that

14. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

Red meat for the masses…. I don’t like Wemby. I think he is a bit immature and as a Rockets fan, I am not going to elevate him prematurely. He had a great rookie season and if he replicates his second half for a full season he will be a top 10 player. His Gumby @$$ might also break down.

15. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Still, you’re putting named like sabonis and sengun, who wemby was better then this season. Thinking he will be worse next season then them is kinda nuts? As much as we all hope wemby fails, gotta be realistic

16. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

There are a number of metrics that suggest Sabonis was way, way better than Wemby this past year. Dude led the league in rebounds, had almost 7 assists a game and scored a very efficient 20 points a game. VORP was 6+. Now, if you think Sengun has 25/10/7 season next year, then you take that over Wemby. I am a Houston Rockets Stan, so obviously I am taking my dude over that Frog who had a visible sigh of relief during the draft lottery when the Rockets didn’t get the overall top pick. Objectively, Wemby will be better than Sengun next year, but Sengun had a better season this past year by VORP so any derision from the back seats will be met in kind.

17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Wemby was above both in EMP last season as a rookie on a team who’s only goal was to lose as much as possible. If wemby is not injured there’s a less than 5% chance sabonis is better and probably about the same for sengun, come on dude

18. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

Come on dude????? I gave my reasons. Sabonis was better this past year. He will likely be better next year. I clearly said that the Sengun statement was about being a Houston Rockets Stan and I want Sengun to be better next year.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, I think he's slightly overrated as a defender due to the hype. A strong DPOY contender doesn't get utterly destroyed in his matchup as often as Wemby did this season. I can't have him on my first team because of the number of huge career games he gave up to opposing centers, even though I do acknowledge he is a hugely impactful team defender.

I never said anything like he was the French Emoni Bates, so I don't know why you even brought that up

20. SamFisher

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...defender-in-anonymous-player-poll/ar-AA1nwL91

https://www.si.com/nba/2024/04/03/draymond-green-spurs-victor-wembanyama-dpoy

https://www.basketballnetwork.net/l...a-case-for-victor-wembanyama-to-win-2024-dpoy

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba...ve-player-year-stats/ba7213ead3658eb0ae8064b8

Too bad guys - listen I know the numbers are impressive, though they don't really come close to matching the eye test, but @OremLK from the clutch fans bbs just said you were all just a bunch of hype artists and handed him the 6th place trophy.