1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

At this point I wouldn’t trade even for Lauri M. I want to wait until the next deadline to make any trades. See how the team plays when healthy. See how all of the young guys come back after knowing what Ime’s expectations are. You see where the Nets are at and where the pick is ranging at etc

In saying that I would trade for Lauri a million times out of a million over Durant. Durant is toooooo old. He simply is not what you want at this stage. Maybe Maybeeee if this team was all across the board 2 years older.

If you traded for Durant you would not win a title and the assets spent on him would be gone and he would be ancient by the time the guys around him would truly be ready to win.

Next years draft pick from the Nets may deliver you a true superstar. You could have that player and 3-4 of the other young guys. Then trade 2-3 of the other young guys plus the rest of the Nets picks for a player in their prime. Brandon Ingram/ Lauri M/ Herb Jones etc

Lebron/Butler/Durant/Curry/Thompson/Green/Kawahi are all about done.

There will be a lot of bad teams under the Rockets soon in the NBA. You just need one extra bad year from the Nets next season and the Rockets will be set up for a decade. Be patient.

#1901 peleincubus, Apr 27, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
  2. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

One of the reasons why Phoenix is going to get bounced in the first round this year and struggle to make the playoffs next year is Exactly due to that crazy trade they made for an aging Durant. It is even crazier the way the Nets have managed to take that windfall and mismanage their roster into irrelevance. Jabari + one unprotected lotto pick is what I think Durant is worth now. We would bring forward the window where the Rockets are contenders by 1-2 years while reducing the window down the road.

astrosrule likes this.
  3. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

@peleincubus Exactly my sentiment. The Rockets will be a solid 48-52 win team next year with small incremental moves. See where the young guys are at the trade deadline and then maybe make a move. Don’t f up the future by going all in too early with Aging stars in decline.

fattz and Ancient Moabite like this.
  4. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I agree the trade for kd was a massive overpay, but that’s how it works. SOMEONE would offer a lot to get kd. A team like the knicks could offer a bunch of picks and be an actual contender.

5. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that teams overpay for aging stars. “That’s how it works” to trash your future. You have to find a guy before he is the superstar or get a guy who chooses your team to chase a ring. AD in 2026 free agency on a sign and trade deal is an example I could see happening.

Ancient Moabite and astrosrule like this.
  6. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

horrible trade

7. PeppermintCandy

If the team brings in Durant and is really serious about trying to win a chip with him, they'd be going into a "win now" mode. It would mean trading away some more of the young players and picks to bring in another veteran star or two, while trying to keep a few of the young players who can contribute.

Kind of like what the Celtics did during the Garnett/Allen/Pierce era, but given that Durant is 35, the window for this experiment would be extremely brief. They might be able to eke out one championship trophy before Durant's completely past his prime.

Or, maybe Durant comes to Houston as a veteran player who segues into a complementary role to Houston's rising stars. But I don't really see him happily accepting that kind of role on this team, and on Houston's side, giving up on Smith and picks would be too high a price.

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I have been against giving up any core players for Durant but for this package it would be a slam dunk. I think somebody would outbid us. I’m ok with giving up the 24 net pick and even the 26 pick, but not next year’s Net’s pick. At the very least I think they would want one of Tari or Cam along with Brooks.

Mathloom likes this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

No to Jabari. I think it’s a maybe if the cost is Cam, Brooks, filler and the 24 pick. I’m also not as quite as sure about the fit as Mathloon. If you’re keeping Green, Sengun, FVV, and adding Durant there are too many guys that need the ball in their hands to be effective. Hell, I’ve talked myself out of giving up Cam. Brooks and a couple of picks, (not the Net’s 25) is all I would give. Mathloon is right that with only giving up the package he indicated we could be title contenders the next couple of years, if Durant doesn’t get hurt (which is quite a gamble).

10. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

I could see your trade working really well for the Rockets.

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

To be honest I can't see it. No one in the world values Bridges at 3 picks except Sean Marks, which has become a laughing matter to most NBA fans.

I can see the 3 picks you're suggesting. We'll see I guess.

saleem likes this.
  12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

If they want a few picks and a young player I'm not interested to be honest. I don't believe they will get that. Perhaps the Knicks will offer them Randle and 2 picks. IMO that's the best offer they will get.

My prediction is that no one will give them much after they saw what just happened with the Suns and the obvious father time issues. His offense has held steady but his defense has definitely slipped. We know they won't want to move Booker and can't move Beal - which means they are handcuffed. Being able to dump salary (getting our team option guys) is worth picks. If they wanted to dump salary they'd have to pony up, so we're giving them equivalent value there by supplying them with $25m in team options.

No one is going to pay Suns what they would pay the Cavs for Mitchell for example. A lesser star in their prime will net more value. I don't think anyone is trading elite role players AND multiple picks for Mitchell. I think the Suns are in for a rude awakening. Obviously they overpaid like crazy for him because Ishbia wanted to make a splash.

Rockets would be a great fit for him. To @Hemingway 's point, I'm gladly reducing FVV's shots majorly and Sengun/Green's shots slightly if it means they watch Durant give them a masterclass and take their time to develop their game to take over from him soon. FVV could be deadly if he takes 1-2 fewer 3PT shots and 2-3 fewer 2PT shots. Perfect PG for this team. I also know that Durant loves to encourage young guys so I think he would be a good influence on our kids.

Interesting to think about.

PeppermintCandy likes this.
  13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Memphis offered the nets 4 picks for him, though a bunch were not really premium picks

14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

From everything I've read, none of the picks the Nets got were good. That's why people still want them to blow it up.

My prediction is that they will have to trade Durant or run it back. I see less than a 5% chance they trade Booker and less than a 1% chance they trade Beal. So will they run it back or take the best deal for Durant on the table? Every GM will have the same concerns we have: giving up too much draft capital for a player who will be 36 by next season.

I guess one more possibility is they fool themselves into believing a coaching change and some MLE signings make all the difference. Who knows. Ishbia should be held accountable for that idiotic Beal trade. Without that trade I suspect they'd be making the WCF at least.

15. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Suns are a total shitshow, it’s pretty crazy. I don’t see him trading kd though, new coach for sure and my guess is try (and fail) to trade beal

Mathloom likes this.
  16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

In your opinion

;)

17. PeppermintCandy

I agree it is interesting to think about. And as for your proposal of Brooks, Tate, Landale, Green and a protect FRP for Durant, the Rockets would no doubt jump at that trade.

But I think the Suns would want a bigger haul for Durant, despite his age, given they'd be deciding to rebuild at that point. They'll probably wait it out a little more, unless Durant says he wants out.

Also, Durant will want to join a team that will give him his best shot at one more ring. I just don't think he'd see Houston's current roster at its stage of development as the one to make that happen, nor would he be satisfied to finish out his career playing mentor to this group of up-and-coming players.

But for the Rockets, if they could get a willing Durant without sacrificing their six core players, yeah they'd be ecstatic.

Mathloom likes this.
  18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Yeah after hearing everyone's thoughts I think we would have to attach probably two picks. I'd say this summer's Nets pick and our heavily protected 2025 pick - which ensures that when Durant's contract expires and our kids have grown up, we will have picks coming in again.

We're enabling them to dump $25m in salary too so in essence we are supplying them a 3rd invisible pick here. That unlocks a higher MLE for them if they don't exercise the options. Frankly Landale, Brooks and Tate would be in their top 9 this season without a doubt. Our bench players are certainly better than theirs, it's an upgrade for them. Brooks would be an incredible starter for them.

It's so nice having an amazing cap and draft situation without any desperation for immediate improvement. Even if we lose out on acquiring a star, we're winning 50 games next season as one of the youngest teams. Future is bright.

19. ilias

ilias Member

Mitchell, Lauri, Ingram, Bridges should be our primary targets if we decide we are ready to push our chips forward.

I’ve always liked Ingram. Would make a great third option for a contender. With Herb/ Dyson/Trey the Pelicans may decide they should trade Ingram to upgrade their PG spot.

My all-in proposal:
    • Trade FVV and 3 FRPs (2025/27/29) for BI
    • Trade Green, Adams and the 4 BKN picks/swaps for Mitchell
    • Trade Jabari and Eason for Lauri
    • Sign one of Tyus Jones, Melton or Monte Morris in FA
    • Sign Jalen Smith in FA
    • Bring back Jock, Green, Tate
    Starters: Mitchell, DB, Ingram, Lauri, Sengun
    Key rotation: Tyus Jones, Cam, Amen, Jalen Smith, Jock

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

So my only significant interest in watching the playoffs, other than my pure love of basketball, is to see which teams become candidates to blow up their rosters in the offseason, and give us an opportunity to pick their bones like a vulture.

I don’t think the Suns have any alternative to running it back. They are blaming their poor performance this year on Beal not being healthy to start the season? Lol. I don’t want any of their players other than Booker and maybe KD. Neither are likely to be made available and they are both talking like they are committed to running it back.

the real domino will be Philly. Real chance Embid could ask out. Not sure I’d be willing to pay the price, but first true star, who isn’t too old, with a real chance to become available. I’m sure Maxey is untouchable. Melton is at the top of my list for the MLE this summer.

the next domino will be Milwaukee. I doubt Giannis will ask out but if it’s even a remote possibility, you’ve got to be all in on it. Don’t want any of their other players.

jch1911 and theDude like this.