1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2024 NFL Draft/2-59] Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 26, 2024.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It has to be a consideration. Jeremy is now has the highest contract against the cap and has not been reworked. The bulk of his guarantee is over after 2025 with only $7.5M left in 2026. Coincidentally, many larger contracts expire in 2025 leaving cap space in 2026. I'm certain Nick is managing future obligations while making current contracts so we don't get into situations where we have to cut key personnel when CJ gets his next contract.

Shark44 likes this.
  2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

That's what I would have believed about Howard until he showed he couldn't play it well. I appreciate his taking one for the team during a time of desperation, but it's time to maximize his strength at RT. Fisher is a longer term backup/replacement at tackle than Fant and will cost less.

While winning now is important, the future transition is being well managed by Nick.

3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don’t know many college football players, but I called it that the Texans would surprise us with high pick on an OT. Howard is consistently hurt. I think this pick was for his future (as soon as next year) replacement, but they will still be looking for a veteran swing tackle in FA. A lot of players will be cut from other teams between now and the start of the season. Wondering if there are any available now, anybody know?

4. Jayded

Jayded Member

ND fan here. He started his first game as a freshman at LT and then got hurt. In came Alt and we know how that worked out for Alt.

The rest of his time at ND, he was a RT. ND changed schemes with Kelly’s departure to more zone and Blake showed a bit of his green side in pass protection from recollection. We always seemed to have a knack for running, but he had a few too many penalties in pass protections. If the Texans can clean that up, the talent is there.

Patterson also being here might be a great unspoken reason that could speed up for him as they were solid together at ND.

Sooty, phasors28, red5rocket and 2 others like this.
  5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I thought we might take a shot in the 4th, but never the 2nd.

6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Both Tackles signed through 2026, but Tunsil has a smaller dead cap in 2026. Howard reworked his contract this off season.

7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Not every Olineman can play other positions. Howard should have never been moved to Guard.

8. body slam

body slam Member

Its not a sexy pick but seems to fit a need. There always seems to be the "if the o-line is healthy " talk. Just hoping he turn out to be a quality player for a long time.

ROCKSS and Blatz like this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I really thought it would be 3rd round, but I have no inkling of draft grades on college players except from things posted on this forum. I would have sworn they were going to take a DT, but they must be pretty happy with their FA signings.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Curious pick. I might have gone with a different tackle personally.

jch1911 likes this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. vince

vince Member

Seems he would not have lasted through the 2nd round. I was reading that if he’d of gone back for his senior season, he’d of been considered a very likely first round pick next year. A former 5 star recruit, but he still needs to refine his skill set, but he’s young enough he can do it.

Maybe the Texans are hoping they just found an elite work in progress talent, that is a possible cost saving replacement for Leremy Tunsil in two years?

ROCKSS, Qan, zeeshan2 and 1 other person like this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. raining threes

Needs to be coached up. This is Strausser's guy. His history with the Colts and with Fisher's work ethic he's going to be good. He does need to get off of the ball quicker, but hat's a coaching thingy. Fisher has the ability to be the long term answer at RT.

15. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Future RT ?

Shark44 and red5rocket like this.
  16. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Given he started at LT as a Freshman, I think he may be able to be groomed for either spot. However, it sounds like he may be in the mix to compete with Howard this year. Unless he's ready, probably better to give him a year to get use to the NFL and learn from the vets. Really don't relish the idea of a rookie starting at OT.

red5rocket likes this.
  17. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I read Texans may move Howard too G.

18. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

He was awful at Guard. He's not fluid or mobile enough in our scheme. Where did you read that?

19. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Man... if that don't give you chills

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Brandon Thorn is pretty great with OL evaluations(even though he had Fisher as a 4th rounder):