1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ilhan Omar tweets and other news

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 18, 2019.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So those people chanting “Jews will not Replace Us!” In Charlottesville we’re Left? the people who put Stars of David on piles of money on campaign literature targeting Democrats were leftists?

Or the man who shot 16 people at the Tree of Life Synagogue?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

DeSantis stands with Israel and with Jews.

tinman likes this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

There is antisemitism on the extreme fringe right, but that is ultimately a very small percentage of people.

Conservatives generally stand with Israel and with Jews.

On the left, antisemitism is much more widespread and not only on the extreme fringe left (such as @glynch).

4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Most of the history of antisemitism has been on the right. With things like Holocaust denial and such. It is extreme but isn’t fringe even current Republican members of Congress have said antisemitic things.

Also to add it was Republican members of Congress like Gaetz, Greene, Gosar, etc. who were not only holding up aid to Ukraine but also a stand alone bill to aid Israel.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The candidates that win elections and are supported by the leader and presidential nominee come from the Republicans. That isn't the fringe of the party. That's the party's voters nominating these people. Other non-antisemitic candidates ran against them but the Republican voters chose those with the antisemitism.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

"The squad" are by far the most antisemitic politicians.

I know you guys like to see yourselves as the good guys and the victims, but they are evil.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Antisemitism in the U.S. traditionally (21st century) comes from the right. White supremacists, Neo-Nazis, KKK, Aryan Resistance, Westboro Baptist Church, extreme-anti-immigration groups, and so on are the largest and most deadly antisemitic forces in the U.S. Since 2016 (Trump elected), the rise of neo-Nazis and white supremacists have concerned Jews, especially after the antisemitic attacks against synagogues. The Pittsburgh synagogue shooting was the worst mass shooting terrorist attack on Jews ever in the U.S., killing 11 and wounding 6. The shooter was a white supremacist that seems to have been radicalized online at the social network Gab. There was a sharp rise of antisemitism during Trump's presidency.

Since the Gaza war, ADL reported a 300+% increase in antisemitism, mostly at college campuses. But this is controversial because ADL defines anti-Zionism as antisemitism, which includes the Jewish anti-Zionist organization such as the Jewish Voice for Peace. This group says they obviously aren't against Jews, but against the Zionist state of Israel for their human rights violations.

The way I see it, deadly antisemitism is vastly due to right-wing extremism. The antisemitism you see on campus is bad, but hasn't led to violence AFAIK. I also don't know how widespread it is, but I obviously do not trust social media posts as good evidence.

Note: ADL was attacked by the right, by the likes of Musk and others before and even during the Gaza war because of their calling out right-wing extremism and terrorism in the U.S. They now feel attacked from both the extreme right and the extreme left.

rocketsjudoka and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. foh

foh Member

So in your "cynical" part of an argument about republicans bringing attention to protests you might agree that JVP is a malevolent actor trying to rile up other students by implicit suggestion that being anti-israel is ok because other jews are against Israel?

I call them a malevolent actor because I venture to say that there are very few jews out there in relative terms that will support a claim of "genocide" against Palestinians that JVP loudly proclaims these days. They are providing credence to a largely non-jewish movement and are instigating impulsive protests around the country. And republicans (being the true xenophobes and anti-humanitarians) benefit from seeing these minorities and the left along with them self-implode.

"Peaceful" protests are only peaceful if they largely don't purposefully stop functioning of a large institution (or a city, by blocking off transportation arteries) that has nothing to do with the protest. I've been part of such protests and am all for it. These ones I'd say are crossing that line because they purposefully are targeting and trying to rile up an impulsive community (students) - that institution has little to do with Israel. I'm sure an investment bank has more to do with Israel investments.

If you are pro manipulation and incitement, then enjoy the show.

I'm all for protests that come from within a whole spectrum of society instead of a minority or malevolent actors trying to incite a compassionate majority.

Israel is our strategic partner, no matter how shitty their current government is. So comparing these protests to anti-Vietnam movement is misguided.

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I do feel that Ilhan Omar and other Democrats have made antisemitic statements but it’s willfully blind to portray this as primarily a problem of the Left.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Antisemitism primarily comes from Muslims and from the Left.

Any attempt to dispute this is laughable.

Yes, there is a very small disgusting fringe on the extreme right who are antisemitic imbeciles also. Just a lot fewer people.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Father of one of the Parkland shooting victims.

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I might not fully understand your questions... but my answers to them are below.

No, JVP is not an evil actor. They are explicitly against the human right violations of the Zionist State. Being against human right violations is good, not evil. The facts that they are Jews help to defend against the idea that being against the Zionist State for, in their opinion, committing human right violations, is being anti-semitic. They might be wrong, misinformed, but not evil, but their actions could potentially lead to more harm than good. If you want to argue they effectively do more evil due to their actions, I can't defend that as I don't know enough about their actions. But I do reject the notion that they are an evil actor, or more accurately, that their intention is to do evil. Other than that, I'm not here to defend them, except for their (and everyone) right to peaceful protests. They are an extreme left group that pushes boundary in how they voice their opinion, which as I stated before, as a whole, these protests aren't effective (completely agree that divesting isn't going to do jack for their cause) and likely do more harm to their cause. Fools if you will, but that's just my opinion.

Purposefully stopping the function of a large institution, as you put it, can be done in a peaceful way (sit down, blocking) or in a violent way. Purposely targeting a community is vile and harmful, it is however, unfortunately but understandably protected speech in the U.S. (with limits). Purposely blocking function of an institution might be against some law or rules, I'm not sure.

I do not enjoy the show. I wish it all die down.

It's probably an understatement how much pain there is out there and I hate how politicians are making it worse, not better... it needs to die down and can only do so with respectful communication, not crackdown or vile antisemitic statements.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

She’s like a fake Erica Badu impersonator

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

For the record I voted and donated to Samuels campaign in 2022. I also have met Don Samuels several times as city councilor.

I’ll probably vote for him again in this years primary. To reiterate my opposition to Omar doesn’t have much to do with her position on Israel.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It should.

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Not really. I’ve stated before she’s veered into antisemitism and agreed with the house resolutions against her. Those though dont have as much affect on this district than her votes, or non votes, on things like infrastructure funding.