1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2023.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Love is one year older than Penix-right now

mightybosstone likes this.
  2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Love was drafted with the 26th pick. That in itself is a big distinction. But the biggest thing is the 4 year deal they just gave Cousins. You either have a top 10 pick or $40M+ riding the bench.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There's no way Sweat would not get picked before 123. He'll probably go before 85. Sure, he has a lot of maturing to do, and needs some serious counseling and mentorship for his drinking issues, but he's young enough to get his **** together. Then again, he could go crazy and be another Manziel. Who knows?

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I got a feeling the Texans are going to draft Koolaid.

5. Buck Turgidson

Good god, settle down Beavis. He had 1 DUI, that's it, glad nobody got hurt. Lots of young people make a stupid mistake.

eta: Someday I'll tell you the story of how I got arrested (misdemeanor PI) for walking home in West University.

#3545 Buck Turgidson, Apr 26, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    Red.Glare and red5rocket like this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. Housport

Housport Member

I understand why they would make the pick. To me Penix is a 2nd rounder/ possibly late 1st round. He's 24 with injury history. And your going to sit him a couple years behind Cousins. At pick 8, you could of selected the best defensive player on the board, Wide receiver, or LT. We just saw Mac Jones, Zach Fields, and Justin Fields traded for 6th rounders. You would of been better off trading for one of these guys to develop behind Cousins instead of using the eight overall pick on Penix. The bust rate of a 1st round QB is at around 70%. Love and Rodgers were good QB prospects that fell in the 1st round and were drafted below where they were predicted to go..

8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Damn, what does that mean about CJ wanting a receiver?

9. Housport

Housport Member

I don't know about Kool Aid. On film, he doesn't look like a Swarm type CB. He looks like he makes a lot of business decisions on the field.

10. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Yep - combine beast but didn’t dominate as much as he should have in college and not ideal arm length either.

11. Housport

Housport Member

I can see where the Texans might trade up 2 slots to trade with the Redskins. The Packers have the same draft needs as the Texans and may select the pick they are targeting.

12. Housport

Housport Member

Fiske did dominate last year at Florida State and looked great at the Senior Bowl.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Buck Turgidson, red5rocket and Dgn1 like this.
  14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

My absolute hot-take, no evidence, ridiculously unfounded opinion is CJ isn't completely over the moon about the Diggs acquisition. And that's not to say he isn't on board, or he isn't even excited....it's more that he's fully aware of what Diggs' reputation is, and that he does tend to go off the reservation from time to time. I think CJ is very measured, and doesn't like to get overly excited about something he has yet to see play out in practice. The fact that Stroud was seemingly all-in on Tank last year, and Pearsall this year tells me he really, really appreciates crisp route runners. Again though, this is completely unfounded, and just my opinion based on seeing CJ's body language, and past and present interactions both in interviews and with Diggs.

Red.Glare likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, you heard it right.

16. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Funny I was a casual smoker in HS, usually when I was in clubs with my fake ID. I use to be a few cigars a year guy, but have decided to smoke a couple a week since I enjoy them so damn much, especially with a good bourbon.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it could be that he knows the Texans have nothing behind Dell Diggs and Collins.... and Diggs is likely a rental.... or Collins will be gone.

Either way, that means it would be nice to have another receiver with upside to take that 3rd WR spot after a year.... or if there's an injury.

18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Or it could mean he's a QB, and QBs like to have weapons to throw to, so he hyper focuses on those weapons when evaluating college football. I think people are reading way too much into what he said on that broadcast.

Red.Glare, Fulgore and red5rocket like this.
  19. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

TUSK!

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

I would not be surprised if the Texans draft another receiver. Stroud is the future, and somebody has to catch his throws.