1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good News: FTC Strikes Down Noncompetes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ubiquitin, Apr 24, 2024.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

True it is but then that goes again to that there were unintended consequences to that policy.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

But we know what life is like when non-competes are NOT enforceable against employees....we have decades of experience with that.

3. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

So it was FTC not FCC? Or both? AP had an article that used both agencies interchangeably on this report. Ugh.

I monitor the federal register and can’t recall any proposed rules from FcC or FTc on net neutrality in the last several months. Wondering if this is an old proposed rule they reconsidered to avoid comment period.

4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Like a lot of things I don't claim expertise in this and will defer to your experience. What I can say from my own field is that when architects or other in my field there has been problems such as lawsuits regarding taking clients with them and also with use of material like particular design elements or even drawings to another firm.

For example I worked at a firm who does a lot of apartment buildings. They do their drawings a particular way. If I go to another firm or start my own firm and do my drawings that way the first firm can make an argument that I'm using knowledge and business practices from them to gain an unfair advantage over them in competition for projects.

MadMax likes this.
  5. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The poorer service is unfortunate but on an aggregate level its still much better than the days of regulated travel. It's honestly not even close. There are certainly improvements that could be made (like the EU passenger compensation formula for delayed flights) but overall deregulation was a huge net positive. Flights costing a fraction of what they did before deregulation is well worth the customer service headaches. Free market economics for airlines was a huge win for consumers in the aggregate.

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I admit to not being old enough to really remember what travel was like before deregulation but I've heard a lot of complaints about how travel has changed.

The fact still is that we needed several other pieces of legislation to deal with the unintended consequence of deregulation.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yep...that stuff doesn't go away. You still can't take proprietary or confidential information from your employer to your next employer and that be ok...there is a separate way to resolve that aside from a non-compete agreement. There are lawsuits you can bring for unfair competition in Texas, and I'm sure everywhere else in the Union.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

My man, you're the one who is -very badly - oversimplifying things for the sake of a milquetoast & pablum sandwich.

LIke, I don't actually care that you feel compelled to weigh in something you know nothing about, or their intersection (like antitrust, labor law, and FTC rulemaking, especially during Lina Khan's run) with meaningless platitude that can, quite literally be applied to any situation, ever and imparts nothing of valu e- this is basketball message board and we do this kind of take-firing all the time!

but you're educated enough to know better. I know some people like to offer spicy hot takes for the attention, I don't get the point of dumping a can of mild salsa on the interwebs unless it's like some kind of @dril type troll, it's just weird man. Weird.

Astrodome likes this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That does make me feel better about the issue.

MadMax likes this.
  10. droxford

droxford Member

Correct - A non-disclosure agreement is completely different from a non-compete contract.

Those were damn good days, too. Companies had to demonstration employee appreciation and had to empower competent management. If they didn't, they'd lose their valuable staff. I remember the days when companies demonstrated appreciation. Those were awesome days!

Also....

When companies demonstrate appreciation to employees, employees are happier with their jobs, care more about their work quality, and are less compelled to switch jobs. As non-competes started becoming more and more commonplace, employers got their staff locked in and didn't need to demonstrate appreciation. Employee loyalty dropped. Quality of service dropped. They're proportionally related (IMHO).

I'm very much looking forward to the abolition of non-compete contracts.

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

You don’t care yet you responded to a post I made even though I didn’t mention you.

as for mild salsa well I do live in Minnesota.

12. Buck Turgidson

Miniskirts on the airwaitresses, legroom, ashtrays in the armrests, ample free cocktails, edible food, etc...

rocketsjudoka likes this.