1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uniform changes....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Exactly. This is the point I think people are too-quickly speeding by: that history, from an NFL perspective, belongs in Tennessee. You can be as mad as you want about that (and I would 100% agree it's bullshit) - but the Oilers no longer belong to Houston.

Well, NFL and/or Tennessee very clearly rejected the idea of the Oilers continuing - so it's not unprecedented.

I fully agree with the second part, and its the foundation of my initial point, which is that I fully understand why the Titans would try to protect Oiler blue.

But Bud Adams does not own the Oilers name/brand, etc. The NFL does. I am 100% certain he struck a deal *with the NFL* to retire the name/colors/etc. (which is the root of Tennessee's objection) - but whatever the provisions of the deal: the NFL owns the team name, etc.

#3021 Hey Now!, Apr 25, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

According to the timeline, they initially approved full use of the color, then the Titans threw a tantrum, the league tried to get us to not use it, we said no, they compromised with a limited use.

The door was opened. The league isn't stupid. They know this means it will grow from here.

More than agreeing with the Titans it seems like they just want to boil the frog to keep her happy.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  3. Hey Now!

The report states Nike designed a uniform that more prominently featured Oiler blue. I'm assuming here - but that would almost certainly be in response to the Texans requesting it. That uniform does not exist and the McNairs have confirmed it doesn't exist because Tennessee objected to it.

So, very clearly, the NFL stepped in and agreed with/supported Tennessee's objection.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Jalen Pitre jerseys galore. Some Will Anderson. Some basic blue and white Stroud BUT red and HTB Stroud nowhere to be seen.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  5. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

How long before they literally paint "Houston" in one end zone during "Wish We Were Houston" Week? I'

6. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I found this on Reddit. I had a suspicion that something like this happened:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...with-nfl-titans-over-use-of-oilers-style-blue

The article references this point I’ve been making:

The situation traces to the fact that, when the Oilers left Houston, Houston made no effort to retain the names or the logos or the colors (unlike Cleveland). So the Oilers took their logos and colors and ditched them for the Titans and now use the Oilers as a throwback, even though it makes zero geographic sense to think of the Oilers as a Tennessee property.

Like you said: “It makes no sense” but they own it so whatever.

kdchilds and Hey Now! like this.
  7. Hey Now!

I would wager there are often uniform approval issues & objections, as teams are *very* protective of their brand. But I think the vast majority of those stay behind the scenes. The Houston-Tennessee rivalry is very obviously contentious, and the Titans absolutely poked the bear with the gross parading of the Oiler uniforms. So I think we're getting more of a peak behind the curtain than normal because the McNairs are very obviously pissed Tennessee stepped in and they're airing some of that dirty laundry. And, of course, Texan fans are eating it up because they already hated the Titans for a variety of reasons. Fuel to the fire.

I'm not sure what this means? They agreed with the Titans. We can spin and split hairs and "yeah but" it... But there's no uniform that prominently features Oilers blue, and there was supposed to be. The Titans won. Maybe this is only round 1 - but I don't see how this can be viewed any other way?

#3027 Hey Now!, Apr 25, 2024
  8. Hey Now!

The Titans trotting out anything Oiler is 100% petty af. But I don't view objecting to the new Houston team trying to steal some of that Oiler nostalgia in the same vein. I totally understand the Titans' POV on that.

The villain here is the NFL. Don't let teams move. Or, at least, extract a history-stays tax on any move.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  9. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Anyone know when they will release Dell jerseys? I want a red stroud and htown dell.. hope the red strouds come back soon..

red5rocket likes this.
  10. havoc1

havoc1 Member

By stop them I meant how they stopped the Texans from designing a uniform that was predominately the h-town blue. And my understanding of your argument is that you can understand why the Titans did that.

This is semantic and doesn’t answer my statement. I thought it was clear that I meant Houston currently since you were talking about fans that are currently in Houston, but I guess not. Of course the Titans own the history of the Oilers. However, they have no right to have any fans in Houston. That was my objection to your entire previous post.

You are getting awfully semantic here as well with dictate vs limited. The Titans had a say in how much of the blue in question the Texans could use for their uniform. That shouldn’t happen for the reasons I listed previously.

And the NFL eventually agreed with the Titans, yes, but only after Amy Adams-Strunk complained. You seem to be confusing what ended up happening with what I’m saying should be allowed to happen. I don’t think the NFL should allow one team to be able to influence what color another team can use for a uniform (either predominately or as an accent).

J.R. and macho GRANDE like this.
  11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I don’t think that the NFL is the villain here at all. You have to understand how team ownership worked back then. The Oilers were created in the AFL by Bud Adams. As such, the franchise belonged to him and not to the city of Houston (this wasn’t Green Bay). When the two leagues merged his ownership rights transferred to the NFL. When he moved, he moved his team to Tennessee. The Adams family own the Oilers, period. They can trot out Oilers jerseys all they want - hell, they can have a bonfire of Oilers merchandise on the 50 yard line to gin up fan interest. Amy can be as petty and vindictive as she wants to be - after all she had a very good teacher. Folks here can rationalize and throw tantrums all they want but it won’t change the facts. You can’t always get what you want.

As for the NFL not letting teams move, don’t hold your breath. Ain’t gonna happen! Too much money involved and if there’s one thing the NFL is about it’s more money.

12. Hey Now!

Correct. The Titans have a very reasonable claim that they "own" Oiler blue.

I think they have every right to protect their brand - and that includes the complicated connection it has to Houston. The NFL obviously agrees with that.

I'm not arguing the merit of Tennessee's objection - just the validity of it. They very clearly believe they own Oiler blue and the connection it has to Houston and the NFL agreed with them.

Well, they do - they all do. If the Jets wanted to wear a blue and red alternate, the Giants would object. If the Ravens wanted to wear a royal blue and white alternate, the Colts would object.

But there's no other complicated history between two franchises like there is with Houston/Tennessee. So we can't really apply a "rest of the NFL" approach to it. But I maintain uniform redesigns do go through rigorous approval within all 31 other franchises - and the NFL - to ensure the brands aren't crashing into and confusing one another.

13. Hey Now!

This simply isn't true. The NFL owns the Oilers name, brand, colors, logo... Think of it from this perspective: if an NFL team left the league to start their own league, they would not be allowed to take their brand with them. It all belongs to the NFL.

The NFL allows the Titans to wear Oiler throwbacks because that is baked into their operations - all teams have access to their uniform history. But doing so requires NFL approval.

What would be fascinating to explore is whether the Texans used an (bogus?) Oiler-like uniform to draw Tennessee to the negotiating table - at which point they agreed to shelve the Oiler-like uniform if the Titans agreed to never wear the throwbacks again.

14. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

15. Jose Cuervo

Jose Cuervo Member

Defending the the Titans and Amy Adams Strunk is pointless.

The Texans H-Town Uni’s are fire and seem to be selling very well. The Texans ended up winning in the end.

#3035 Jose Cuervo, Apr 25, 2024
  16. Newlin

Newlin Member

Columbia University should sue the NFL for the unauthorized use of their color.

17. havoc1

havoc1 Member

Ok… the Texans aren’t using Oiler blue. The Titans don’t own every shade of blue that is close to Oiler blue. There are several other teams that use a similar blue and it seems like no one else had an issue with the Texans color choice.

And the history shouldn’t matter since the Titans have no right to any sort of fandom in Houston anymore. They are no longer involved with Houston, other than owning the history of the Oilers. The light blue was involved with Houston before the Oilers and Houston is using a different shade of blue than the Oilers did.

What kind of sense does it make for a team to leave a city and then try to dictate what the city’s new team can do? The Texans weren’t trying to rebrand as the Oilers and it doesn’t seem like they were trying to do a UofH style Oiler uniform. They wanted an alternate uniform that was light blue and I don’t think the Titans had any right to try to stop them, other than making sure it didn’t look like the Oiler uniforms.

Of course the NFL disagreed (although not totally as evidenced by the color rush uniforms) and I disagree with the NFL allowing the Titans to have any say over the Texans uniform color choice.

18. Champs

Champs Member

The Texans nailed the rebrand and now have one of the most promising teams in the league to boot. It was very important that they did, so people who haven’t yet can finally move on. The Texans uniforms were so stale and Oilers were so enticing and missed by many.

I grew up loving the Oilers and they moved my senior year in HS. Pure pain. That took some time to get over. But the last thing I ever wanted to do is to give that POS family anything further. Support, money, attention, whatever. I hate seeing Oilers gear in this town because I know that family is double dipping on us. So fvck them.

It’s time this city moves on for good and fully embraces the Texans. Let those fvcks have their hand me down Oilers uniforms and another city lived history while we beat their ass. We are now complete.

Jose Cuervo likes this.
  19. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Took a little historic inspiration and made it our own.

Thanks again Cal.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  20. Hey Now!

I mean this sincerely: your response is a (perfectly rational & understandable) emotional reaction. But the facts of the matter are the Titans own the Oilers brand & they own the Oilers history, which is rooted in Houston. They therefore have every reasonable right to be invested in how the new Houston team brands itself, given the complicated relationship of the two teams.

I'm not arguing the extent of that - they obviously should not be given a hammer to drop at their whimsy. But, again, the NFL very clearly saw Tennessee's point of view and killed an Oilers blue uniform. And that's because the NFL has an investment here, too - they don't want brands to cross-out and confuse people. There is AMPLE thought, time and money poured into these brands. They are integrally important to the league & to the owners.

I think the McNairs are pissed and airing some dirty laundry. I wouldn't be surprised if this was much uglier behind the scenes (I'd be willing to bet the Oiler throwbacks were part of the fight - an FU from Tennessee, which is absolutely petty af.)